• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Which CPU Processor is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Intel Atom N450 or Intel Pentium 4 1.5 GHz?
Well not sure about Atom but a P4 1.5 GHz is ancient stuff. At least 10 years old I would say. Since you are asking for a comparison I am guessing the Atom is also pretty old.

Although you can run perfectly ok computer systems on them I would have to recommend something more modern. Basically you will struggle to even stream youtube on those.

Level 15
Umm, what are you actually buying, because last time i checked, the Atom CPUs are for tablets and netbooks, while Pentium 4 is a desktop CPU. It's like comparing apples and oranges, in this case old oranges to ancient apples.

Pentium 4 2.4Ghz struggles with Google Chrome and two tabs and it cant play anything higher than 480p (personal expirience).

Level 15
Actually it depends on what is in those 2 tabs since proper web sites should not have any CPU load.

Youtube playing on one and a webpage loading in the other one, resulting in the video stuttering. Which I guess only means that Chrome doesn't have single core support anymore and it used to be such a lightweight browser.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Youtube playing on one and a webpage loading in the other one, resulting in the video stuttering. Which I guess only means that Chrome doesn't have single core support anymore and it used to be such a lightweight browser.
Were you running it on a DX10 compliant video card with Windows Vista or later?

Flash player is absolute junk to the CPU unless you can use hardware acceleration. Proof? Well modern PCs use virtually no CPU to stream HD since their GPU is doing all the work (and it does so more efficiently as that is what they are designed for).

Level 15
ah sorry about that..
i'm not buying them, i just wanna ask ^^

i have a netbook with Atom processor, and there is a game that i want to play but the requirement said the minimum processor should be Pentium
so i was asking about it, haha

Yeah it should be able to handle it fine in that case.
Though pentiums from 2002 and from 2010+ are different CPUs, the new ones even have hyperthreading.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i have a netbook with Atom processor, and there is a game that i want to play but the requirement said the minimum processor should be Pentium
so i was asking about it, haha
The Atom will likely be faster. It is vastly newer (8 years newer) and runs at 160 MHz faster. Not sure about how the pipelines and other tech compares but since the atom is newer there is a good chance it is better (more performance per clock). DDR2 memory also means it will have better memory bandwidth than the P4 (again, faster).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Tom's Hardware did an article about this a while back:
Which surprisingly proved what I said...
The Atom will likely be faster. It is vastly newer (8 years newer) and runs at 160 MHz faster.
With exception of graphics but then again I was expecting a discrete graphic solution since CPU graphics are rubbish anyway (XO and PS4 are exceptions).

Status
Not open for further replies.