• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What leadership bonus did you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
This is still from limited experimenting on all chapters, and my opinion may change, but here is what i chose for now:
Chapter 2- Definetely naval expertise. The demons don't have artillery to snipe your towers ( although now that i said that, they may receive some in the next update) so having a good defensive line to stop their attacks is very nice.
Chapter 3 - Now here my choice is split between if i want a melee, or a spellcaster army, so it varies. Mostly i would go with pack of the bloodclaw, but since it would get repetitive after a while, the predominantly spellcaster army with academical knowedge, would be a nice option if i want to try a new strategy.
Chapter 4 - One of us all the way! I know when to pull off elites form the battle when they are at low health, so the extra health isn't needed for me. That 10 damage though, it makes him so much more worth the price.
Chapter 5 - I definetely like shadows of the shadow master a lot more. That attack speed makes golems destroy building a lot quicker, marksmen killing air a lot faster, cavalry going even more berserk combined with charge, and that's pretty much it. :)
Chapter 6 - Naval expertise. I don't really like bonus regen as an thing to have.
Chapter 7 - Again shadows of the shadow master for the same reasons i stated in chapter 5.
Chapter 9 - Order of the holy bastion. I think your regular troops are durable enough. Plus the paladins becoming a even better heavy units is a thing i would definetely chose.
Chapter 10 - Chosen of the high king, the improvement on your rifleman is already nice, but the unlocking of the shieldbreaker, a very good tank and heavy unit, makes this bonus eclipse the holy bastion by a lot ( a lot or no golden guard hate may have made me chose this) :p
This is where i think it would be a nice time to stop.

Level 20
So far I've only had time to go through Chapters I and II.

The bonus that I've used was Pack of the Bloodclaw. Funny thing is, I've ended up with 2 Zeds in the process as the one I've summoned before researching the bonus... got upgraded and stayed with me :D

I went for this upgrade, because I've planned my defense in a way that included a small number of melee units and some healers at each entrance to tank the enemies. Since demons didn't bring any artillery and well... My two Zeds did an awesome job tanking, pretty much the only thing that ever hit my towers were Rain of Fire casts, which didn't really do that much damage and thus... I didn't really have use for the added tower durability option :)

---

Overall I feel like both boni were totally valid and I like the way that they were balanced - I mean, in my opinion both were a nice bonus, but neither felt overpowered or necessary, so you weren't forced to pick any - if you wanted to, you could have gone Vanilla and still win, at least on normal difficulty :)

The boni felt... like actual boni, not something mandatory, so a big plus there :)

Level 11
Chapter 2 - Merlon's naval bonus
Chapter 3 - Bloodclaw's bonus
Chapter 4 - Tanok's bonus <--- this helped a lot

I haven't beat the other chapters with any bonuses yet

Level 3
My thought about boni:
Chapter 2:
-hp for buiding- easy to use, perfect for tower spam
-zed buff- allow easily clear north with heroes alone, bonus unit seems useless in this chapter

Chapter 3:
-mana bonus- in this chapter necros are powerful (a lot of corpses) and with this buff are insane
-zed buff- it looks poor compared to tank power given by additional skeletons, bonus unit seems useless in this chapter

Chapter 4:
both bonus feel perfectly balanced to each other

My thought about bonus unit from gardon bonus:
Pros:
-powerful early game unit, no need upgrades (it look like grunt with berseker strenght and t2 upgrade)
-no need lumber
-really good for fast chapters

So why it seems useless to me? In these chapters there is no early game nor fast chapters (always have a lot of time to fully upgade), lumber in arkain is cheap(because workes cost no food), and if compared with knight or executioners, they are weaker for the same cost. (I make calculation for 4bonus unit and 3 knight and total hp(taken armor in consideration) and total dmg per second was higher for knights)

Making this unit more niche (very good in some cases, weak in others) could help. Also shifting some gold cost to lumber can make unit more attractive (cause lumber in long term is free).

Edit: Examples what i mean by niche unit: reducing base attack but increasing attack vs unarmored targets (it's possible to edit mortar team upgrade), this could make them powerful anty "second line" unit while being weak againts regular melle troops.
Or turning them into scouts by give them non-combat invisibility (feral spirit tier3 skill), while nerfing base stats a bit.

Edit2: After update (0.7)
I think bloodfang is in really good spot right now. His cost/stat ratio is slightly better than knight/executioner, however spaming him is still limited (need multiple keep to spam him)

Chapter 5:
Nerfed Brian boni vs Gardon boni feels much more balanced than ealier, but still Brian boni is better
Larine boni is helpful.
Cora boni turn Golden Guard into Support Guard.

About Brian and Larine boni: boni that give X to ALL of your units are powerful and boring, because having ALL of your units a bit stronger doesn't affect gameplay in any meaningful way.

In this chapter from lore/logical perspective making no choice for Royal Army and Golden Guard is understandable, but it feel bad. I mean if player want to turn golden guard into mage army it feel good, but here player is forced to turn them into mage army. Maybe creating boni related to Toran capital or letting both Royal Army and GG to choose from Cora and Larine Boni could make it feel better.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.