1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

What do you think of...

Discussion in 'Texturing & Surfacing' started by cryptfriend, Jan 5, 2007.

1. cryptfriend

cryptfriend

Resources:
    Resources:
    ... this new skin iv'e made? When I was skinning it I discovered this usage of burn and dodge tools with photoshop and it resulted in a skin much better than ive made before.

Im not uploading an image of it in-game becouse I only want you to give feedback on the drawing, not how good the unit looks with it

[​IMG]

2. ChadD

ChadD

Resources:
    Resources:
    It looks nice from what I can see but if you don't post the wrap it's really hard to tell...:confused:

EDIT: Hair could use some more work though. :D

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007
  3. cryptfriend

cryptfriend

Resources:
    Resources:
    As I said I want to hear what you think of the drawing... you dont need to see it wrapped

And yeah I was abit lazy on the hair, just making it black and adding some red stripes.. But I didnt think that the hair was such important

4. ChadD

ChadD

Resources:
    Resources:
    I know, it's just my curiousity. :p The hair doesn't matter that much I don't think, I'm not much of a skinner but when that gets in game I think it might just look like a black blob.

5. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    1. DO NOT USE BURN AND DODGE. You have barly any control over them.

2. If you used smudge, DO NOT!

3.Try using the normal brush tool and shade by selecting a shade rather than letting those tool do the work. Oh..and a skin isnt a drawing =_=

4. Its abit blurry, not bad, iv seen alot worse, will you finish it?

5. Your from cbs eh?

6. Sansui

Sansui

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    The face looks decent, sharpen it up a bit and re-work the rest of the skin...

I like to grayscale the image, build up the textures, shapes, and shading.
    its easier then to add color to make it look pretty on another layer.

smudge is not a bad tool to use, if you use it correctly. Not to heavy and sharpen after.

Use shades of colors at low opacities to change the light and dark areas on a skin, i generally use black and white at 3% opacity at the size of 2 pixels to do the grayscale work.

7. Orc_Tamer

Orc_Tamer

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    If your going to use smudge.. use around a 2~8% pressure and a 3px brush or don't use it at all. :infl_thumbs_up:

-Orc_Tamer

Last edited: Jan 6, 2007
  8. camel's_hump

camel's_hump

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Stop flaming.

Smudge can be used for certain styles, but I find smudge ruins more realistic skins. Learning to shade with colors would be a great help to your skin qualities because actual objects are not just one color with different brightness/darkness, they have reflections and other colors throughout them.

9. Orc_Tamer

Orc_Tamer

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  10. Kimbo

Kimbo

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Im getting sick of people not just from wc3c communities insulting me even when im trying to help. Im also your partner in that panderan project, god..dont you remember me?

And i suggest using no smudge, you would only need it if you can properly use it, and that takes ages to do that, and in my opinion its not worth it since you can have more control over what you create when you manually do it. You can ask TDR, or even follow hes shading tut to avoid smudge here:
    http://wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=82083

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2007
  11. camel's_hump

camel's_hump

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I cleaned up the thread. Werewulf was just trying to help, no need to take that personally. Now let's just try to put this in the past, shall we?