• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Westfall

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
normal melee 1v1 map:
-2 bonus gold mines
-a fountain of health
-2 goblin merchants
-2 goblin labs
-a marketplace

I hope there will be no new versions of it :)

Keywords:
westfall, wow, farm, peasant, normal, melee, farmer
Contents

Westfall (Map)

Reviews
16:19, 6th Apr 2010, by Rui: This map contains several mistakes that need to be fixed. My review explains them, in detail. This map is set to Rejected status.

M

16:19, 6th Apr 2010, by Rui:
This map contains several mistakes that need to be fixed. My [self=http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/westfall-139569/#post1533487]review[/self] explains them, in detail. This map is set to Rejected status.

Level 12
In description you say that there is 2 bonus gold mines, yes, but you should say that there is 2 optional mines aswell or 4 bonus, because in 1v1 maps you prob. dont need the other mine at all.

My rating: 3/5.

Notes i made ingame:
the upper bases 2nd goldmine (marked with orange danger level) is too far compared to bottom.
I think the small creeps at shore should drop atleast level 1 items.
Why is there almost only tome drops? I got only 1 item from cleaning many areas, while i got like 7 tomes.
The additional gold mine spots are too small, make them bigger (the ones marked with yellow)
The starting base of the downer player is too small, the enemy was NE and was stuck on its base, i dno if it was the AI or the area available, but make it abit bigger.

Last edited:
Level 14
Meh, i fail at melee but i'll check it out.

Hmm. Terrain. It was okay, some more tile var. and hills would be nice, though. Looks like blue's base is easier to attack because there are more entrances. There were enough doodads but some enviroment and critters would be nice.

Okay melee map with enough resources and wood, i'd say... 3/5.

EDIT: Oi the drops. I got tomes ALL THE TIME. Put some other items too, or something.

Level 3
Iin 1v1 maps you prob. dont need the other mine at all.

why dont you need it?
the other mine gives you the option to choose a mine.
or if the enemy detected you exp already you can try a new exp at the other mine!
:spell_breaker::nemor:

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui's review for "(2)Westfall", a melee map by Tusky

This is my review for Tusky's map, "Westfall"."Westfall" is a little better than other melee maps of the lot I decided to test. However, several things need rectification.
First of all, the terrain is not even for both players. The point of making a map relatively symmetric is to make sure that players never suffer from imbalances. There are little things that often tend to escape our eye. In this melee map, however, there is no doubt: the terrain, , is definitely uneven.I want to start by saying the landscape has a few collision problems (the trees at the Fountain were unnecessary, for example) and there are several holes on the trees which are important that you fix.Proceeding to identification of the imbalances; Red's base is clearly more exposed to an attack. While it is mostly open, Blue's base is covered by cliffs and open only from two sides, making it not only harder to place his structures for Blue but also making an invasion from Red more difficult.Gold Mine expansions are much more favorable for Red, too. Just notice the difference between Red and Blue's closest expansions: Red's expansion remains relatively safe with one of the ways to access it guarded by his own base; on the other hand, Blue's secondary Gold Mine has empty room to all of its sides. This is the situation for the gold resource, but lumber is also much more abundant for Red, and his workers, while harvesting trees, will also benefit from the protection of the base, which is the exact opposite of Blue's situation.The starting locations do not have the same distance to the Fountain of Health or the Tavern; both are closer to Red's base than Blue's. To put it short, Red has the closest access to most of the most important neutral buildings in game, such as the Marketplace and the Fountain of Health, which I already mentioned.On top of this, the map did not leave me too pleased in terms of beautification. There are entire areas covered in grass; and the cobble path, clearly made using a square or circle tool, does not look good. There are not much doodads, either.
Surprisingly, the most part of the drops are decent. There are, however, a few exceptions. You cannot set the creeps to drop a «lvl X item». The Mur'gul Marauder at Red's closest expansion, for example, can drop items like the Ring of Archmagi (+3 to all stats + Brilliance Aura), the Tome of Retraining, the Tiny Great Hall or the Orb of Venom (purchasable items, which should never be a drop). The only items you can assign as drops are those from the Permanent, Powerup, Charged and Artifact groups. The others (Purchasable, Miscellaneous and Campaign) are not balanced for melee maps and including them in an itemset is an error.
I should also add that Gold Mine guards should have their normal acquisition range.
That said, I conclude my review, granting this map a 2/5 (Lacking) and hoping you'll work on these points. Because the rating is this low, I can only set your map to Approved once you get to work on these points. For now, I am Rejecting it until you update it.