• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Water Walking / Ability Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm making a map where units can walk on water. Added the amphibious movement type, no problem. Problem is that i have a spell that works on land only and not on water, and i want it to work on both, land and water. So here is the spell:
Spell made from Wind Walk ability that makes you invisible for 5 seconds. Also has a trigger:
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
  • Condition
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Substitution
  • Actions
    • Unit - Create 1 Log for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
    • Unit - Add a 5.00 seconds Generic expiration timer to (last created unit)
    • Special Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of (Casting unit)) using Abilities\Spells\Orc\MirrorImage\MirrorImageDeathCaster.mdl
    • Unit - Move (Casting unit) instantly to (Position of (Casting unit) offset by 600.00 towards (Facing of (Casting unit) degrees)
So, what exactly does this.. it makes the caster invisible and moves it a bit in front of him. Now big problem is.. Units can't step on water while they have the Wind Walk buff! So..there are 4 cases where can i cast the spell.
1. From land to land
(Remember that my spell moves the caster a bit in front of him so, we's on land and after he casts the spell he will also be on land)
- Spell works fine, no problems
2. From land to water
- The caster is trapped above the water and cannot move, but can cast spells and attack. After the 5 seconds of invisibility have passed he becomes visible and can move normaly.. i mean stepping on water.
3. From water to land
- no proble, works fine
4. From water to water
- the caster is moved to the nearest tile of land. He is not placed where he is supposed to be after casting the spell.
More, when a unit has Wind Walk ability it cannot step on water, even if it Amphibious.

So..if anyone can help i want just one way to solve this, either one from below:
a) fix it so that the unit can still move on water even with the Wind Walk buff and still be invisible
b) make somehow that when the unit is on water it should become visible right away after casting the spell (i tryed this, it didn't work though)

Level 4
It still doesn't work that way. I know this is hard, so if anyone manages to find a solution, ill give him +2 rep points, if that is allowed.

Level 13
  • Events
    • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
  • Condition
    • (Ability being cast) Equal to Substitution
  • Actions
  • Unit -turn collusion size OFF for (casting unit)
  • set POINT = position of casting unit
    • Unit - Create 1 Log for (Owner of (casting unit)) at POINT facing Default building facing degrees
    • Unit - Add a 5.00 seconds Generic expiration timer to (last created unit)
    • Special Effect - Create a special effect at POINT using Abilities\Spells\Orc\MirrorImage\MirrorImageDeathCaster.mdl
    • Unit - Move (Casting unit) instantly to (POINT) offset by 600.00 towards (Facing of (Casting unit) degrees)
  • Custom script:call RemoveLocation(udg_POINT)
(when you will turn ON collusion size he will not be on water anymore)

Locations couse leaks (accept if it is a unit on map - some unit (X number) <gen>

Im not sure does the (Facing of (Casting unit) couse leaks but i think it does too

Level 4
Well, it's true, it leaks and that is problem nr. 4 from above. The ability was made so you can catch up players who are running away from you and be invisible at the same time.

EDIT: Well fixed it somehow. I used the Blink ability instead of Wind Walk and used a dummy that casts invisibility on the main caster. That way the unit can walk on water and be invisible at the same time. +2 rep to me :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.