• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Warcraft 3 Mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Firstly you need to define what resources in SC2 will map to resources in WC3. In WC3 you had Lumber, Gold and Food. In SC2 you have Minerals, Vespeine Gas, Terrazine, Custom Resource and Supply (spelling may be wrong, I am not good at spelling).

Unlike WC3 which had very strict definitions on how resources are harvested, SC2 treats them all equally. You can make Gas Fields that are mined like minerals. Or a Mineral Extractor which extracts Minerals like Vespeine Gas. Oh and do not think the order maters for UI since a few XML changes in the UI editor and those resource displays can be anywhere!

Then you need to make your units.
Goldmines would be similar to gas based extractors with modified pathing.
Trees would be similar to mineral fields.
Both need modification to actors to appear appropriate (trees look like trees and gold mine looks like a gold mine).

Give them appropriate resource behaviours. and they should be good to go.
Gold mines will obviously hide harvesters and have a WC3 like capacity.
Trees would work like mineral fields (not hide) and have a considerably lower capacity to be WC3 like. They also need to remove on death, maybe use actors to create the stumps or something.
To get it so that workers can parallel harvest trees you will need to set the harvest time very low and the return delay to the harvest time.
This is not correct WC3 tree mechanics where you could harvest many trees before returning but it is the best SC2 can do without writing your own harvest system.
Also do note that the units are not collide-able while harvesting (wonder why they never added a flag for that when they removed it back in the beta...).

For both Orcs and Humans it is easy to give them a simple harvest behaviour that deals with both.
Ghouls would just be limited to lumber.
The Haunted Goldmine and Entangled Gold Mine are harder. They need to use the same principles as building an extract or a Geyser. No actual harvesting is done but instead 5 automatic harvest buffs are used with different period and validators such that when the mine has the appropriate number of workers it has the appropriate harvest period. Acolytes could act as items that are equipped by the haunted gold mine and then moved to an offset with triggers managing the drag away (remove from inventory) and things. Wisps harvesting is as simple as counting cargo used, with triggers being capable of doing this if no validator or requirement suffices.
Wisps harvesting from trees could also be item based with them being equipped to trees with an automatic resource generator that does no damage to tree capacity being used. It could also be that the wisp is a standard Lumber harvester (like Orc) except acting as a Lumber drop off and dealing no damage to the tree (so it never moves and keeps harvesting).

You may want to take some poetic liscence with the harvesting system. There is no need for a 1:1 recreation as long as it has the feeling like "hay this reminds me of WC3".

Level 13
All want make for all 4 races same :D Only gold mine for udneads too --> acolyte will harvest gold from gold mine without haunted gold mine because its a wacraft iv and no copy of warcraft 3 i just need to know gold mine ... without build extractor but i meant how to make gold mine which is harvestable when is neutral color player?

Status
Not open for further replies.