• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

War of Risk V. 0.2.6.7

Bet you guys weren't expecting to see me again. But, I'm here, with a map better than ever!
War of RISK - A C&C Map by GriffonDefender!

Map Information
RISK - The Game of Global Domination - Warcraft Style! This map revolves around the entire Warcraft and World of Warcraft Realm. Northrend, Azeroth, Lordaeron, Kalimdor, and more! While this is honestly more of a Command And Conquer type map, RISK just sounds so much better, doesn't it? And Risks you will need to take determine the outcome of the game.

Forge and Break Alliances, Fight with tactics and strength, Liberate and Conquer lands! The very balance of the realm depends on who fights and how.

How this map works is that once every minute is a "Turn". On this turn, you gain gold and lumber, depending on how many areas you control, and what areas. If you control and entire region, you gain an extra bonus. Some regions give more resources to hold than others. There are also capitals that give 2 gold and 1 lumber, and SuperCapitals that give 3 gold and 2 lumber. SuperCapitals can also train a respective hero.

To capture buildings, attack them with any non-siege unit. After 15 attacks from anyone, the building will become whoever attacked it last. This adds a new level of strategy to the game, involving Self-Captures, and makes flanking so much more interesting. To win, you must control all of the buildings. Even if there are just allies left, nobody wins according to the game. Of course, you can come to a mutual agreement that the alliance wins, but the game will only recognize that someone has won if everyone else has been defeated.

These are to basically prove that the map is in fact designed by me, considering there are a fair amount of maps based off World of Warcraft on THS.
937075_orig.png

Early Development - Screenshot of World Editor and Reference Map
1844447_orig.png

Mid Development - Screenshot of World Editor Regions for placement of buildings.

Map Credits
This map in itself was made entirely by myself. No models or icons were used that were not in the standard World Editor. However, the loading screen image was made by Warlock over at Scrollsoflore.com. SOURCE: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240

4461701_orig.png

Attacking is the only way to capture buildings.
2614029_orig.png

Train an army, and go out to battle!
4207559_orig.png

You gain gold and lumber each round, and extra resources for each entire region you control!
869132_orig.png

Yes, I do play against myself to get screenshots. But this is the alliance dialog for whoever is asked to be allied with.
1848701_orig.png

Engage in large battles over land...
668128_orig.png

Or sea!
8753616_orig.png

Want to scare your enemies? Train this guy.
7625483_orig.png

And so Archimonde, the great evil of the world, is set loose upon the world once more!
3508965_orig.png

Overpowered Archimonde is Overpowered.
636907_orig.png

So we have Archimonde on one side, and a huge army on the other.
1033118_orig.png

A huge army? What huge army?

This maps importance
This map is quite important to me, in a few ways. There were a lot of Firsts in this.
First Epic Size map
First Strategy/Risk map.
First map involving naval battles
First map that I can say is definitely not in Alpha stages.
First map with decent looking terrain.
First map with capture points.

There's probably a lot more, but I'll leave it at that. There is a basic and advanced tutorial in the Quest Dialog (Remember that F9 key!) as well as any other information you might need, including Capitals and SuperCapitals.
Changelog
Version 0.2.6: First public release! [Don't be worried, I just used the revision number in the World Editor for the release version.]
Version 0.2.6.7
Bugfixes - Tooltips fixed
- Spellcasters now have all their spells
- Certain Night Elf buildings can no longer attack

Additions - Terrain improvements
Let's play possibly coming soon. If anyone does a let's play with this map, feel free to send me a message, and I'll feature it up here!
Todo list
Yes, I know I said it isn't in Alpha stages, but that doesn't mean that there aren't some things I want to add that the overall map doesn't depend upon!

- AI for computer players.
- Custom music
Enjoy!

Keywords:
War, Risk, Lordaeron, Azeroth, Warcraft, WoW, World of Warcraft, Northrend, Kalimdor, Armies, World, GriffonDefender
Contents

War of Risk V. 0.2.6.7 (Map)

Reviews
22:36, 12th Mar 2014 Hell_Master: Map approved with a rating of 3/5 (Acceptable). See moderator's short review regarding the map:

M

22:36, 12th Mar 2014
Hell_Master: Map approved with a rating of 3/5 (Acceptable). See moderator's short review regarding the map:

Hell_Master;2498450 said:
Review emerges

Played the map and I must love how simple it is to play and fun with other players. Imagine those large clashes between players just for the sake of capturing more buildings for control and resources.

While as what Silverfox said that you managed to barely captured the appearance of Azeroth in regards of the layout and form, it still needs much more work. What I would suggest is place some doodads in it: props, environments, water (for the seas) doodads and etc. Make sure to place each doodads wisely, avoid spamming for it sometimes gives unwanted or bad results.

I like to keep this short and simple so, I rate this 3/5 and Approved. Keep working on the terrain itself and I might consider changing my rating to a higher one. It is actually a pull down in the rating.

Level 6
Alrighty, just finished playing your map with my brother and to tell you the truth I loved it. First off, the map is simple and fun, large armies clash, almost no micro-managing required (I suck at micro-managing units) and you conquer Azeroth. Unfortunately (now I don't know if you're finished with the terrain and if you aren't then please ignore this), you did manage to pull off Azeroth but it's too simple and flat, almost no decoration was used so this kinda is a let-down. There were a few tooltip errors (I remember Grizzly Bear has Tooltip missing error) and some spellcasters don't have access to all their abilities.
Honestly, this is a fun map with high replayability, but you need to improve the terrain, fix the tooltips and definitely continue work on this because it has so much potential and you'll hopefully stick to the simple gameplay :)
Note that this is my personal opinion, some may or may not agree.
Good luck! +rep:thumbs_up:

Level 4
This looks interesting! I like how for once someone puts a proper description on their pending map so +rep for that!

Sadly though, I don't enjoy Risk/Strategy maps much so I wont test it but I am sure others will want to!

Well, thanks for the feedback! I always try to make my map descriptions as good as they can get. I know the irritation of checking out a map just to see it has nothing for a description.

Alrighty, just finished playing your map with my brother and to tell you the truth I loved it. First off, the map is simple and fun, large armies clash, almost no micro-managing required (I suck at micro-managing units) and you conquer Azeroth. Unfortunately (now I don't know if you're finished with the terrain and if you aren't then please ignore this), you did manage to pull off Azeroth but it's too simple and flat, almost no decoration was used so this kinda is a let-down. There were a few tooltip errors (I remember Grizzly Bear has Tooltip missing error) and some spellcasters don't have access to all their abilities.
Honestly, this is a fun map with high replayability, but you need to improve the terrain, fix the tooltips and definitely continue work on this because it has so much potential and you'll hopefully stick to the simple gameplay :)
Note that this is my personal opinion, some may or may not agree.
Good luck! +rep:thumbs_up:

Well, thanks for the feedback, and also, thanks for the bug-testing! I plan on doing a bit more work on the map, though I don't exactly have too many ideas. If anyone has any good ideas for it, I'll gladly try them out.

Level 10
Dude, this map looks pretty rad I got to admit. Though, as the other dudes said, the terrain isn't the best. To get you started, you should check out some terrain tutorials or maybe terrain templates. I wish you luck to add more great things to this map.

Level 4
Dude, this map looks pretty rad I got to admit. Though, as the other dudes said, the terrain isn't the best. To get you started, you should check out some terrain tutorials or maybe terrain templates. I wish you luck to add more great things to this map.

Wait, there are terrain tutorials? I actually did not know about those, thanks for letting me know. I'll try and check them out, as anyone can very clearly tell that terrain is far from my strong point.

Level 6
Tested your newest version single-player. Found one bug only (for now)
-Banshee doesn't have enough mana to cast Posession
This isn't a bug, but it's extremely annoying:
Militia takes 1 second to train (I think) and costs 1 gold only, which means if I try to assault a human base, enemy player can just swarm me with a bunch of Militias. My suggestion is: reduce the attack of Militia (9-10 Normal would suffice) and reduce their armor to 1 (medium) which is similiar to undead's Zombies. Still, this is my suggestion, take it or don't :)
Also I forgot to mention you have some incorrect names on a few bases, so I'll just list them:
-Arthas's Base Camp -> Arthas' Base Camp
-AziolNerub -> Azjol-Nerub
-Dark Tharon Keep -> Drak'tharon Keep
-Scarlet Monastary -> Scarlet Monastery
-Gadgetzar -> Gadgetzan
-Ogrimmar -> Orgrimmar
Hope this helps!

Level 4
Tested your newest version single-player. Found one bug only (for now)
-Banshee doesn't have enough mana to cast Posession
This isn't a bug, but it's extremely annoying:
Militia takes 1 second to train (I think) and costs 1 gold only, which means if I try to assault a human base, enemy player can just swarm me with a bunch of Militias. My suggestion is: reduce the attack of Militia (9-10 Normal would suffice) and reduce their armor to 1 (medium) which is similiar to undead's Zombies. Still, this is my suggestion, take it or don't :)
Also I forgot to mention you have some incorrect names on a few bases, so I'll just list them:
-Arthas's Base Camp -> Arthas' Base Camp
-AziolNerub -> Azjol-Nerub
-Dark Tharon Keep -> Drak'tharon Keep
-Scarlet Monastary -> Scarlet Monastery
-Gadgetzar -> Gadgetzan
-Ogrimmar -> Orgrimmar
Hope this helps!

Wow, awesome! Again, thanks for Bug-testing. When I get the chance, I'll work on updating the map. And the area names do help a lot as well, I just used a relatively basic map system to get all the names and probably read most of them wrong. :p But thank anyways!

Level 30
Review emerges

Played the map and I must love how simple it is to play and fun with other players. Imagine those large clashes between players just for the sake of capturing more buildings for control and resources.

While as what Silverfox said that you managed to barely captured the appearance of Azeroth in regards of the layout and form, it still needs much more work. What I would suggest is place some doodads in it: props, environments, water (for the seas) doodads and etc. Make sure to place each doodads wisely, avoid spamming for it sometimes gives unwanted or bad results.

I like to keep this short and simple so, I rate this 3/5 and Approved. Keep working on the terrain itself and I might consider changing my rating to a higher one. It is actually a pull down in the rating.

Level 4
Review emerges

Well, I appreciate the review, and am quite happy that it is approved. I'll keep working on the map when I can, and we can see where it goes from there. Thanks again, Hell_Master!