• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Want some character models made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Want some character models made [Edited]

How do I start this?

I've been playing Warcraft 3 again and I want to make a campaign about my own characters' adventures. The problem is I can't model for my life's sake, so I need a hand or two.

Now, hear me out first before jumping to conclusions. These characters were made in WoW. However, I DO NOT WANT EXPORTS of WoW models. I know that's not accepted here, and I've heard it's illegal to use WoW models in Warcraft 3 for public use.

So... I would rather that they be made from the top down in the style of Warcraft 3 Hero models which are simpler and not as detailed. I have pictures of what the characters look like, and I'll give them to whoever wishes to do this.

Pictures:

Kul'thran's pictures (includes his pet, Kulvir)
Therista's pictures (includes her sister, Slyrae)

I hope that helps. Again, I am not looking for exports from WoW. Just new Warcraft 3 models based on the images shown.

Edit: Would descriptions of the animations be helpful/more endearing for you? I didn't say them in the first place because I didn't want to sound too demanding. Would you prefer that I state the animations as well?

Last edited:
Level 6
Bump (I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to bump this according to the sticky). To make this bump more meaningful, I'll sing a song:

O... I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...
There they are standing in a row...
Big ones, small ones, some as large as your head!
Give 'em a twist, flick of the wrist, that's what the vendor said! O!

:)

Level 31
So, your asking for two(or three or four) units to be made based on those designs?
Now, I am a supporter of using WoW or WoW Model Viewer to make designs for units or characters, so I feel obliged to do this. Didn't see the sister in the file though.
As far as the pet though, I ahve three suggestions.
Raptor - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site A model of a Therapod Carnivore with a horn in it's nose. Green, so you would have to tint it ingame and it might not come out right. Made by olofmoleman, so it doesn't quite fit with the warcraft 3 style.
Raptor - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site A model of a velociraptor. A kind of tan color so it's easily tintable. Made by olofmoleman, so it doesn't quite fit with the warcraft 3 style.
Assault Raptor - The Hive Workshop - A Warcraft III Modding Site A warcraft 3 styled raptor. Uses the azure dragon skin, but that can easily be changed to the red dragon skin in magos model editor. Just need to ask Lord_T's permission, as he made it. I suggest this one over the rest.

Last edited:
Level 6
The sister image is under "SlyraeProfile1.png" in Therista.rar.
-Note-
I updated Kul'thran's and Therista's images with additional pictures of Kulvir and Slyrae.

Anyway, thank you for the suggestions. I'll try number 3. And thank you for responding to my request! I really appreciate it! :D

Level 31
Ok now, I've started to throgh some stuff together. But, I need to ask some questions.
The big one first is about TC (team color). Is there any particular place you want to be team colored on the models? common places are hair, shoulderpads, and chest peices.
Secondary questions are about the characters themselves. Or no TC at all?
Kul'Thran is a hunter, that's abvious, but do you want him to use both his bow and melee weapons, or just one or the other?
Looking at the two Nelfs I think it's safe to assume Therista is a warrior, but Slyrae I'm having some trouble with. I know she's a caster, but is a Druid(I think this one), Mage or Preist? I'm asking this because what class she is will affect what type of animations I'm gonna give her.
If you could answer these, they will help alot.

Level 6
Animations!

I'm really happy for all this help! Thank you! :D

First off, did you download the new .rar files? They carry additional pictures of Slyrae and Kulvir.

Anyway, For TC, please avoid Kul'thran, Therista's, and Slyrae's hair. I don't want those to be team colors. The Tabards (Kul'thran and Slyrae don't really need one, they're optional. But Therista requires one), should be team colors. If you want, you can remove the symbols since I think certin guilds will be angry with me if we don't (though Kul's symbol can stay--if you give him a tabard--because I owned that clan before I left WoW). If they don't have tabards, make the capes and chestplates (robe for Slyrae... only do part of it) team colors. Therista doesn't have a cape, so hers should primarily be the tabard. You could also put some on their weapons.

And of course, Kul, Slyrae, and Therista all have the hero glows under their feet, like all Heros do (Kulvir won't since he's a summoned unit). Kulvir's team colors... well, I don't want the entire skin, but maybe some of the stripes could be team colors? [Oh, I'm asking about Kulvir because I haven't gotten a response yet about that raptor request. :/ You can ignore Kulvir if you'd like]

Kul'thran uses his bow primarily. I would like to see the melee weapons on him, but he never uses them since swapping out weapons from melee to ranged is hard to impelment in Warcraft 3 (I'd also have to completely change his Hero Skill set up).

Therista uses a sword and shield AND a two-handed sword (she's going to have an ability that let's her swap stances, which swaps out her weapons. This is different from Kul's weaponry because hers are straight out melee. Her two-handed sword looks like a Destiny).

Slyrae just uses a staff, but I think I want to give her cat form as well.

Okay, Animations:

-=Kul'thran=-
Stand -1 - Kul'thran standing
Stand -2 - Kul'thran kneels down and scouts the ground a bit
Stand -3 - Kul'thran does a backflip (or something)
Stand Channel - This is for Volley. Kul'thran points his bow into the air, and fires arrows repeatedly
Stand Ready - Kul'thran is posed to attack
Walk - Kul'thran running
Attack - Kul'thran holds his bow horizontally, draws an arrow from his quiver, nocks it, and fires it at the target (this is all done very quickly. Like 2.10 seconds (trying to match it up with the cooldown))
Spell - Kul'thran whistles (to summon his pet)
Spell Throw - (Just in case) Kul'thran thrusts his hands out, together outwards.
Death - Kul'thran falls over and dies (I'll let you decide how, unless you want more specifics)
Dissipate - This is the hero's ascension into the sky

-=Kulvir=-
Stand -1 - Kulvir standing
Stand -2 - Kulvir looks around
Walk - Kulvir running
Attack -1 - Kulvir bites the enemy
Attack -2 - Kulvir claws the enemy
Attack Slam - Kulvir jump strikes the enemy

-=Therista=-
(since she swaps stances, she has "alternate" animations. Assume that normal is 1h sword and shield out with 2h sword strapped to her back. And assume that alternate is 2h sword out with her 1h sword sheathed at her side, and the shield strapped to her back)
Stand -1 - Therista standing
Stand -2 - Therista looks around
Stand Alternate -1 - Same as normal
Stand Alternate -2 - Same as normal
Stand Ready - Therista in a fighting stance with her sword and shield
Stand Ready Alternate - Therista in a fighting stance with her two-handed sword (similar to the WoW female Night Elf one with a two-handed sword).
Walk - Therista running
Walk Alternate - Therista running
Attack -1 - Therista slashes with her sword
Attack -2 - Therista spins around and slams her sword right now the middle
Attack Alternate -1 - Same as normal
Attack Alternate -2 - Therista makes a jumping spin upwards, slashing the enemy as she goes up
Attack Walk Stand Spin - Therista spinning for Whirlwind
Attack Walk Stand Spin Alternate - See above, except with two-handed sword
Spell - Therista lets out a roar
Spell Slam - Therista slams the ground with her feet (Thunder Clap)
Morph - Therista swaps out her 1h sword and shield for her two-handed
Morph Alternate - Therista swaps out her 2h sword for her 1h sword and shield
Death - Therista falls over and dies (I'll let you decide how, unless you want more specifics)
Death Alternate - See above
Dissipate Alternate - See above

-=Slyrae=-
(she also has alternate animations because she swaps to panther/cat form)
Stand -1 - Slyrae standing
Stand -2 - Slyrae looks around
Stand -3 - Slyrae sighs and puts a hand to her heart
Stand Channel - Slyrae lifts her hands into the air and holds her position
Spell - Slyrae casts a spell from her hands (I'm not sure exactly what I want here)
Walk - Slyrae running
Attack - Swings her staff horizontally around to the other side of her body (like Malfurion and Druid of the Talon do for Attack -2)
Death - Slyrae falls over and dies (I'll let you decide how, unless you want more specifics)

Okay, I think that's it. I hope that's NOT overwhelming. Sorry for Therista, she has a lot of different animations, I know. ^^;

Thank you for doing this for me. I really appreciate it. :)

Edit: I removed Slyrae's cat form animations because I realized I don't have any panther sounds to make for that form. :/

Last edited:
Level 31
OK, sorry, I've been a bit busy lately with college and stuff, but I've been working. This is a WIP of Kul'Thran. Currently, it's just a skin, but the mesh work should be faster. I'm gonna give him the bow and the proper animations, but if you want anything changed about the skin, now is the time to say so. The red is the TC.

Attachments

• KulThranTrollHunterPreviewWIP.png
    KulThranTrollHunterPreviewWIP.png
    209.9 KB · Views: 196
  • KulThranTrollHunter.jpg
    KulThranTrollHunter.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 127
Level 6
Eyes should be red. Other than that, he looks fine. :)

Sorry to bother you further, but I added animations for Kul and Therista. Spell Throw for Kul, and Spin attack for Therista.

Thank you so much for helping me with this! I really appreciate it! :D

Level 31
Will fix the eyes and a few more things when I open the skin back up for finalization.
Most of the mesh is done. Just need to add an arrow for shooting and his side weapons. Animations shouldn't be to hard. I can pirate most of them from other models, and those I can't get exactly I can make in war forger or note track.

Attachments

• KulThranTrollHunterPreviewWIP2.PNG
    KulThranTrollHunterPreviewWIP2.PNG
    249.9 KB · Views: 193
Level 6
Cool looking. The face kinda bothers me... (too deep of chin?) Something doesn't seem correct about it. Hmm...

Other than that, it looks great, so far! :)

Edit: I got it. He looks a little too buff. Kul is just a little bit thinner. Also, I think his skin color is too deep bluish green. Sorry, I should have said that earlier. Make it a bit paler if you can, and more sky-blue in color.

Last edited:
Level 31
Ok, this took a while, but here is the first one. Kul'Thran, the troll hunter. Has one custom Texture, which is pathed to "KulTranTrollHunter.blp" when imported. Has a bow that it attacks with, along with a modest set of spell animations. Includes working portrait. Eerything should work, but if you import it and only get a colored blob, then I can fix that.

Up next, Therista and/or a raptor model.

EDIT: Finnished up the raptor. I was looking over the raptor models I libnked you, and found most of them wouldn't really work for what you wanted, so I made a new one. Based off the Timber Wolf, all ingame textures. I uploaded the red one seperatly, but if you want I also uploaded a pack with red, green, yellow, blue, black, and an undead version.

Attachments

• KulThranTrollHunter.blp
    184.2 KB · Views: 120
  • RaptorPack.zip
    447.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Level 6
I'm very impressed. :) Kul'thran is nearly perfect, and I think it's interesting where you got the textures for the sword and the axe. Kulvir looks kinda cool, but still like a dragon, however, I am impressed with the animations.

Is it all right if I ask for a few changes?

For Kul'thran:
1) For his face and nose: Reference this (and the others) pic for the face. <- Addition from previous
2) Extend the hair out a bit (straight out).
3) Can you make it so for "Attack 1" Kul'thran holds his bow at a 180 degree angle (completely horizontal) when firing the arrow and make it so he's pointing a little more up when using "Stand Channel"? <- underlined is addition.
4) Make the tusks on the portrait larger (like in the pictures I showed you). <- Addition
5) Make him a little thinner. <- Addition.

For Kulvir:
1) Can you modify the the texture to give him some stripes?
2) Make the teeth a bit smaller.

Also, do you know the directory setup (it starts as war3imported/insertmodelhere.mdx) for character models? I think one needed a specific directory for models. What is that? Units/Heroes/Orc/KulThranTrollHunter.mdx for example?

Anyway, I'm VERY impressed overall, and I think you did a great job. Just those changes, and I think the models are perfect. Thank you so much, again, for doing this for me! :D

Edit: Problems: The model's glow jumps about everywhere.

Here's a screenshot of the moving glow.

Last edited:
Level 31
Ok, sorry that took a while, I got Kul'Thran done the same day, but didn't want to post him untill I had fixed up Kulvir. Now I ahev and so here they are. I'm not quite sure if Kul'Thrans hero glow will jump again, but I think it shouldn't. If it does I ahve a few favors I can call in. Kulvir now has green stripes.

Attachments

• Kulvir.mdx
    165.2 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Level 6
AWESOME! I'm sorry, I edited my post last night with additional changes. ^^; I hope that doesn't bother you if you could add those. Kul'thran is almost close to perfect. I know he'll never look like the WoW model, but that's all good. I like the longer hair. :)

Great job! And the glow doesn't jump around anymore either! :D

Level 31
Soory for the wait, but heres the Kul'Thran. He's leaner, has differnetly angled tusks, and shots up and a bit of an angle in Stand Channel.

Also, here's a WIP shot of Therista. The mesh and texture are partialy done. The head realy the only thing I'd consider done on it right now. Based off of the Warden Model.

Attachments

• TheristaNelfWarriorWIP1.png
    TheristaNelfWarriorWIP1.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Level 6
Do'h. Kul'thran's glow is jumping around again. Can you curve, and slightly enlarge the tusks for the portrait, too?

Strange, he doesn't look any leaner... maybe my eyesight is bad or something, but he looks the same. :/ I do see the new Stand Channel animation! That looks cool. I'm just wondering why I don't see a difference. Hmmm...

Anyway, as for Therista, she's starting to look cool. Though her face looks REALLY weird. And I find it humorous, but I've already made my hero version of her, and I used the Warden Model. XD

Thanks for the fast response.

Level 31
Do'h. Kul'thran's glow is jumping around again. Can you curve, and slightly enlarge the tusks for the portrait, too?
Fixed the glow. Tusks are now bigger and rounder.

Strange, he doesn't look any leaner... maybe my eyesight is bad or something, but he looks the same. :/ I do see the new Stand Channel animation! That looks cool. I'm just wondering why I don't see a difference. Hmmm...
The model itself is a bit chaotic with all the extra stuff on it, place it next to a Forest Troll or Beserker ingame and you'll see the differnece.

Anyway, as for Therista, she's starting to look cool. Though her face looks REALLY weird. And I find it humorous, but I've already made my hero version of her, and I used the Warden Model. XD
Well poop. I'll probably finnish this model anyways as I like how the tabard turned out and dojn't wnat to let this thing sit on my harddrive unused.

Thanks for the fast response.
No problem.

EDIT: Heres a WIP pic of Slyra. Not quite sure where I'm gonna put the TC yet. This model will have an internal Cat part, with morph animations, so there will be no need to import two models.

Attachments

• KulThranTrollHunter.mdx
    114.9 KB · Views: 79
  • KulThranTrollHunter_Portrait.mdx
    54.9 KB · Views: 66
  • SlyraeNelfDruidWIP1.PNG
    SlyraeNelfDruidWIP1.PNG
    415.5 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Level 6
Cool.

One request: Can you make it so Therista's stance with the two-handed sword is like the female two-handed weapon in WoW? That'd be great.

Hmmm... cat form. I actually removed that because I didn't know how to change abilities from one form to the other (I.E. change Hero abilities in cat form).

Status
Not open for further replies.