• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Variable

Status
Not open for further replies.

hdm

hdm

Level 9
The same variable can be used for multiple (let's say 30) triggers?

• Set Variable = Casting Unit
EDIT: I'll be more specif, these are the variables
  • Set DamageEventType = 1
  • Set DMGS_Ability = (Ability being cast)
This is a system, Damage Modification System. I'm asking if the same variable can be used more than twice because this system has this action in other trigger
  • If - Conditions
    • DMGS_Ability Equal to Your_abilitiy
so the DMGS_Ability must be an ability, but if we want this system working with all abilities ? We have to trigger DMGS_Ability all abilities, am I right ? So it's used for multiple functions. Or am I wrong ?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If it is global then yes. Whether or not the results are what you want is another question entirely.

WC3 trigger system will only ever execute a single trigger at a time and does so atomicly (no pre-emption). Certain native calls may result in a new thread being scheduled which can cause problems. This means that the only time you need to be concerned is if the variable is used to retain data between execution jobs or if the current job spawns another job that uses the variable.

For this reason you should try and use locals when possible (locals are a pure JASS feature that WC3 GUI hides from you).

Reactions: hdm

hdm

hdm

Level 9
If it is global then yes. Whether or not the results are what you want is another question entirely.

WC3 trigger system will only ever execute a single trigger at a time and does so atomicly (no pre-emption). Certain native calls may result in a new thread being scheduled which can cause problems. This means that the only time you need to be concerned is if the variable is used to retain data between execution jobs or if the current job spawns another job that uses the variable.

For this reason you should try and use locals when possible (locals are a pure JASS feature that WC3 GUI hides from you).

Er.... What ? Sorry, it's my fault, I am not "that" experienced. I couldn't understand very well this.

He means if you are using a variable in one trigger (fx. setting a unit variable to Casting unit).
Then thats fine if you only need that variable in that trigger. If you never need to use the data from the variable you set in one trigger, in another, then you are fine by using the same variable. Because when a trigger is run it will finish before anything else happens.

But if you store the casting unit in a variable because you need it in another trigger, then you can run into problems because the variable can get overwritten by another trigger using the same variable.

Hope that was a little easier to understand then DSG's techno mumbo jumbo.

hdm

hdm

Level 9
That's what I was needing, thanks guys. I can't rep Solu9 cuz "I need spread more rep before rping for you"

Status
Not open for further replies.