• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Undoing a skin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hey, I've seen some skinning tutorials and I've created my own skin, which I imported to a map, to the regular villager. Now I'm having problems: I imported the skin but I want to put regular villagers on another part of the map, but, they also have the skin. I tried separating them but it didn't work. So, I removed the skin from the map and it kept there, then I decided to delete the BLP skin and left the TGA skin, but on a totally different folder than Warcraft III.
I even imported a BLP immage of the original villager skin and changed the path to what it is to be and the previous skin keeps on appearing. The map randomizes between the previous skin and the original one, although there is no imported file with the previous editted skin.
No skinning guides teach you how to take off skins, only how to put them, so, any help with taking this skin off would be appreciated.
And any tips on how to create a different unit with another skin (so I could use both skins) would be appreciated.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Remove the .blp file from the Import Manager. Save the map, close WE, reopen map. If it's not gone, you're doing something wrong. There is absolutely no need to the delete your .blp or .tga files from your computer, and having it in the WarCraft III folder in the first place has nothing to do with whether or not it'll work.

As for using the custom and original, or several custom skins for the same model, you need to import another .mdx that uses a different path. For instance, if the in-game villager model uses "Textures\Villager.blp" as path, importing a skin to this path will override that model. If you, instead, export the in-game villager model, convert it to .mdl, open it in Notepad and change the part that says "Textures\Villager.blp" to "Custom\Villager.blp", save it, convert it back to .mdx, and import it to the map together with your cusotm skin, using "Custom\Villager.blp" as path, you can apply the custom model to be used for the custom villager, and use the in-game model for the original villagers.
* Note that the paths provided may be wrong, or may override other textures that you intend to use. This was meant as an example. You can also use MAGOS Model Editor to change the path, without having to convert the model, and I'm sure there's a tutorial on how to do that somewhere.

Level 3
Ok, thanks for your help :goblin_good_job: + rep for you, sir :D
I took another look at it and there were no skins, when I deleted the regular villager skin, the custom skin disappeared. I think I did overwrite the villager skin with the custom skin and saved it as "villager original" blp. Then, imported as though it was the normal one.
So far, no problem with randomizing skins (before I putting the villager original skin, it was weird, like randomizing between both skins), just the regular one for now.
Now, onto solving the problem of two skins at the same time. I'll take a look at it, thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.