• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Twin Suns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
A small orc outpost on a planet with two suns.

Attachments

• Twin Suns.jpg
    Twin Suns.jpg
    876.8 KB · Views: 211
Last edited:
Level 14
The ground's to flat and the fog should actually "swallow" the mountains for it to look like it's a part of the background.

1. It's flat!
2.The sky is messed up!
3.The hills are really ugly!
4.The sun is just....lol!
5.The spam of grass is the worst thing i ever seen!
6.Why are the mountains so blue and why are the mountains that are just litle closer not blue? The fog is messed up really bad, and you cant have a fog if the sun is right behind the mountain or what ever that is, you can only have ''shadow''

Level 11
1. It's flat!
2.The sky is messed up!
3.The hills are really ugly!
4.The sun is just....lol!
5.The spam of grass is the worst thing i ever seen!
6.Why are the mountains so blue and why are the mountains that are just litle closer not blue? The fog is messed up really bad, and you cant have a fog if the sun is right behind the mountain or what ever that is, you can only have ''shadow''

1. Not anymore.
2. I know, unfortunately I can't fix that, to get the correct angle I need to zoom out a bit, and it causes that :sad:
3. Agreed, that was a (failed) attempt to create distant mountains. Removed them.
4. Fixed the problem with the angle of the suns.
5. Much less grass now, also changed the trees because the old ones didn't fit the tileset well.
6. Removed the fog, really looks more natural now, thanks.

Level 8
More a matter of astronomical observation (pun intended) than anything else.

In binary star systems where two stars are that close together, one would orbit the other - thus one would always be smaller than the other except on the occasion that the planet passes between both - in that case you would only see one (or the other) since they would be on either side of the horizon, one east one west.

Most like 99.9% of the known binary star systems are composed of a large (red giant for instance) star and a small (white dwarf) star. Two equally sized stars rarely reach a point of stability to where they maintain their sizes/colors even a relative apparent size in relation to a planet bound observer within that system. One star would, in a close pair, 'suck up' or eat the other.

Thus either by a very real size difference between the two stars, or simply because to the observer on the planet one star is further than the other one of those suns needs to be smaller (perhaps even tinting a light blue, or other color to suggest different type stars).

Second observation of perspective. the lowest sun really looks to be in front of the background - ergo not really a star but some other light source.

I get the feel that the distant landscape is hills, yet the sun(s) are somehow in front of that landscape. Since you are using hills on either side, it is expected that there are hills where those 'suns' are.

Actually both the left and the right one appear to be in front of their hills. The left appears to be sitting on the hills, not rising or setting behind the hill.

Contrast and shadow. Non-existent in your image. By all rights we should only see black or near black trees directly in front of the sun(s). the overwhelming light should make color and texture of trees near impossible to see. So again we get the impression of light sources in the foreground, not rising/setting stars/suns.
Thus 'issues' with hills may not actually be that the hills themselves are bad, but that the suns do not 'feel' right in their placement against/behind said hills.

Status
Not open for further replies.