• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Trying to Have Two Dryads In One Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Okay, I'm going to try to explain my problem to the best of my ability. In my map I need two Dryads. One is corrupted and the other is the normal dryad. I used War3 Model Editor to make a second dryad model and portrait.

Through War3's texture manager option, I changed the standard dryad texture on the model to Dryadfinal3.blp (the name of my skin). Then I copied my skin and renamed it to Dryadfinal.blp (I have two versions of the same skin now). I changed the portrait model to use Dryadfinal.blp as its skin.

I imported both of the textures into my map and noticed that the portrait didn't change (the model's texture did though). Renaming the portrait's required skin and the Dryadfinal.blp wouldn't get it to work. It only works when I change the skin's path to Textures\Dryad.blp. This however changes BOTH my dryad's portrait and the original which I obviously can't have.

Anyone know why this is happening and how to make my portrait use a different skin without affecting the original?

Level 25
I think I know what the problem might be. If my suspicions are correct, it has in fact worked, but the unit model is still linked to the original dryad's portrait. Open both models in Magos Model Editor, and open the "Model Properties" tab, and just change the names from Dryad and Dryad_portrait into something different, but the two models still need to have the same names (like CorruptedDryad and CorruptedDryad_portrait or w/e). I'm not sure if this is the correct way to fix this, but it always works for me.

If you have in fact already done this, and there's a problem with changing the portrait's texture with your method, there's also another way to do it. Download the program MDLX Converter from here on Hive, and convert the .mdx portrait file in a .mdl format. This allows you to open it in notepad (and probably also w/e alternatives you might have). Next you just scroll down a bit 'till you reach a section where all the model's texture paths are listed (but scroll slowly, as it's still in the top of the document, and you can easily miss it). Then you just need to find texture you want to replace, in this case Textures\Dryad.blp, replace the path with the name of your texture, and convert the model back into a .mdx file with MDLX Converter. Still, I think this is another (probably more complicated) way of achieving the exact same result as you already have, so my money is on the first solution.

Level 2
Yep, the first solution worked. I feel like smashing my face on my desk because I never renamed the new dryad model in the first place....Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.