• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Triggering Player Variable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Do commands such as "Player Number of Triggering Player" create more "computer drain" in very long triggers? If so, is it better than to set a variable at the start of the trigger (something such as Set X = Player Number of Triggering Player), as in the following example:

Untitled Trigger 001
Events
Conditions
Actions
Player - Set (Triggering player) Current gold to 750
Set Hero[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (Last created unit)
Set Unit[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (Sold unit)
Set Target[(Player number of (Triggering player))] = (Target unit of ability being cast)

or

Untitled Trigger 001
Events
Conditions
Actions
Set PlayerNumber = (Player number of (Triggering player))
Player - Set (Player(PlayerNumber)) Current gold to 750
Set Hero[PlayerNumber] = (Last created unit)
Set Unit[PlayerNumber] = (Sold unit)
Set Target[PlayerNumber] = (Target unit of ability being cast)

Level 5
Thanks for the replies, fellas; but in truth I'm quite noobish at all of this, and all the GUI talk is Greek to me.

Of the 2 examples listed in my post, which would be the more efficient? If it's the latter, would subscribing the same variable PlayerNumber to EVERY trigger pose a problem?

Level 6
okay, he gets it, gui bad, jass divine... good answer for every gui question...

yes you should save the function result in a variable instead of calling the function 5 times. aside from making your trigger code more efficient, you must know that some of those (Event Response - XXX) functions lose their value after a smallest wait...

mentioning waits brings us to your second question:
would subscribing the same variable PlayerNumber to EVERY trigger pose a problem?
generally, yes. problem lies in waits. whenever you say wait 5 game-time seconds, other triggers will get executed within those 5 seconds (perhaps hundreds), and that can include other instances of the waiting trigger. in a plastic example:
  • set X = 7
  • Wait 5 game-time seconds.
  • Do something important with X
after the wait, X may not be 7 at all! (if no other trigger uses X, it should be 7, but if 20 triggers use X for their purposes, no way it will stay 7 after those 5 sec)

if your map will use complicated triggers, you will soon have to learn about local variables...

and one more word of advice: dont call your global variable X, i or s; always give it a nice and descriptive name.

Level 5
Thanks, guys! If I'm understanding the lessons correctly, then using a command like

local integer X //or something more creative than X, as edge[d1] points out
set X = (TriggeringPlayer) //this is just for show, I know it's really something like GetConvertedID...blah.blah...

will generate a unique version of X for each player executing the trigger, even if it's simultaneously?

Set Hero(X) = last created unit, for example, would then also be unique for each player applying this trigger?

I really appreciate all the feedback!

Level 11
But you cannot use them as globals! It won't appear on the variable list. You have to put the correct GUI-to-JASS converted lines instead of GUI actions. Like:
local integer n = GetPlayerId(GetTriggeringPlayer())
set udg_Hero[n] = GetLastCreatedUnit()
set udg_Unit[n] = GetSoldUnit()
All of them as custom script.

Status
Not open for further replies.