• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tiling Custom Ground Textures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Can somebody help me tile these custom ground textures I have? I'd really appreciate it and give them due credit.

Thanks in advance!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
What a coincidence I just came here to ask how do I make custom terrain tiles that aren't super shiny & ugly on medium graphics (unlike the awful Blizzard textures) so my map can actually look nice?

It looks like god damned metallic foil and plastic. Not at all like dirt, grass, etc.
Do remember that StarCraft II was made for ultra visual settings. Maps should also be made for ultra visual settings for optimum visual quality. Lower settings exist for performance in dated or cheap systems or where performance is crutial like competitive play.

Anyway the shine is caused by incorrectly painting some of the layers.

I can help you with that, it's got to do with changing the alpha map of the color (diffuse) map and making the normal maps Red channel white and blue channel black.

It helps if you have photoshop (here's a great tutorial: http://www.galaxywiki.net/Custom_Terrain_Textures)

If you need help/want me to do it I can.

Can I have a custom terrain tiles set including parts for leaves (as in deciduous trees ground cover), needles (as in evergreen trees ground cover, would appear orange), mossy terrain, grassy terrain, dirt, snow, and any intermittent forms (like grassy-snow, dirt-grass, etc.) without the horrible shine? Even if you just make 2 of these textures it would be better than what I currently have in my maps which is just one texture which looks awful and makes me play my maps in low settings so I don't have to be blinded by the shine.

Do remember that StarCraft II was made for ultra visual settings. Maps should also be made for ultra visual settings for optimum visual quality. Lower settings exist for performance in dated or cheap systems or where performance is crutial like competitive play.

Anyway the shine is caused by incorrectly painting some of the layers.

Why does Blizzard fail so hard at textures? They're actually paid to do this whereas people who aren't even paid can do a better job of making terrain textures than them working on their own not in a team...

Edit: Just took another look at some textures in extreme graphics settings and tried looking at it from different angles. This is supposed to a rocky/mossy texture... it looks like a really flat metallic foil or something, it's awful.

Pic related:
attachment.php

Attachments

• SCII has terrible graphics.png
    SCII has terrible graphics.png
    441.9 KB · Views: 1,165
Last edited:
Level 22
In the past I wanted to import my own custom tileset but it didn't work, I never learned what needs to be changed to get your custom tilset texture ingame, or to tint color some of the existing ones. Oh well it seems to be as annoying to change as UI icons

I prefer Warcraft III textures to SCII and given a choice I would use them in my map over SCII textures. Everything looks like a metallic foil in SCII, 'nuff said.

Yeah, try doing this with crappy war3 textures!

That isn't Blizzard's default textures there. I reckon you can make the engine work for you, but the default blizzard textures are awful.

Level 10
Alright this topic is getting derailed...

My question is: Is there someone out there willing to help me get my custom texture sets tiled properly so that I don't get the ugly square box effect?

Level 22
^ I would like to see that too, since in war3 I took the tileset where each variation of the tile goes and could figure out wich square is where. In SC2 I dont know that as I never made a custom tileset work Idk how to change it and make it work.

As for not being squary, if it is exactly the same everywhere and not darker, nor lighter, it shouldnt be on squares e.g pure white, monotone asphalt with no darker or lighter amd same looking on all parts of the texture. Do you want to show a screenshot how squary it looks? Idk even what you mean..

Something like this in war3 is a monotone texture that is the same everywhere and the squares mix with each other

Status
Not open for further replies.