• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Noobs Guide to Icon Art

Icon-gimp.png

ubd1167.png

Hello Future Icon artists!
In this tutorial we will learn the basics of icon art and all about the art tool GIMP (Gnu Image Manipulation Program) This tutorial MAY be used for photoshop as well but take note that the toolbox may not be in the same order.

Tools You Will Need

Table of Contents:
1:Getting to Know Your Toolbox
2:Creating Your First Icon
3:Finalizing

1:Getting to Know Your Toolbox

Your toolbox is your greatest ally. Get to know it and you can master all types of techniques used to make the perfect icon.

Transform Tools

TransformTools.jpg

Selection Tools

SelectionTools.jpg

Brush Tools

BrushTools.jpg

Colour Tools

ColourTools.jpg

Other Tools

OtherTools.jpg

2:Creating Your First Icon

Now that you know your toolbox, you can start making your own icon.

STEP 1:

65669d1253141483-the-noobs-guide-to-icon-art-step1.jpg

You Want to start with a basic background. (BG) So i have started with the simplest of all backgrounds, the plain black BG

STEP 2:

65670d1253141483-the-noobs-guide-to-icon-art-step2.jpg

After that, you want to make sure you have your basic shape.
Start a new layer. I like drawing it with solid colours without bothering to do an outline. But if you want to do a basic outline and then fill in your basic colours, you may.

STEP 3:

65671d1253141483-the-noobs-guide-to-icon-art-step3.jpg

After that, you want to get some basic shape out of the item(s)/object(s) Try out some shading and highlights that work for your icon. Such as; I use scratchy highlights to give it a more worn out texture. Smoother highlights will lead to a smoother object and scratchy highlights will give you a more worn out feeling. Also, be sure to not just put highlights randomly. It is key to have a sense of light coming from some direction. Make sure your highlights follow this path of light. Such as how i have done with putting the highlights along the top of the metal.

STEP 4:

65672d1253141483-the-noobs-guide-to-icon-art-step4.jpg

Next, you want to add some basic shadows to the object. Try either using the burn tool or a darker version of the base colour. Putting it along the parts that are lower than than some of the higher ones, is very good for the full feel of the icon. Also, that light path we talked about, try doing some of the shadows along the opposite side.

STEP 5:

65673d1253141483-the-noobs-guide-to-icon-art-step5.jpg

Add some more highlights to the rest of the icon. Once again following the path of light we talked about, to give the icon a whole lot more realism. A good way to do this, is with white at 15% opacity.

STEP 6:

65674d1253141483-the-noobs-guide-to-icon-art-step6.jpg

And finalize the icon by adding a few more highlights and shadows here and there. Give the icon an even better impression of realism.

STEP 7:

65676d1253143563-the-noobs-guide-to-icon-art-step7.png

Size Down to 64 x 64... And you're done! :D

3:Finalizing

Now that you've constructed your icon,
It is time to put borders on the icon and convert it to .blp

Open up your button manager tool and select the icon wizard.

Capture.jpg

Once you've selected your Input folder (red)
And your output folder (green)
Choose what Borders you want, and select the Create Icons button (blue)
Make sure the Icon is in a format that the program recognizes (JPG, BMP, TGA, PNG, Bitmap)

2.jpg

your icons should come out in your output folder in .blp format.

65716d1253218046-the-noobs-guide-to-icon-art-btndemonshoulderupg1.jpg
65717d1253218046-the-noobs-guide-to-icon-art-disbtndemonshoulderupg1.jpg

Well Done! You've created your first icon! :D

~Dentothor

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 402
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 367
  • OtherTools[2].jpg
    OtherTools[2].jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 299
  • BrushTools[1].jpg
    BrushTools[1].jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 322
  • SelectionTools[1].jpg
    SelectionTools[1].jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 317
  • ColourTools[1].jpg
    ColourTools[1].jpg
    62 KB · Views: 340
  • TransformTools[1].jpg
    TransformTools[1].jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 271
  • Step1.jpg
    Step1.jpg
    689 bytes · Views: 4,201
  • Step2.jpg
    Step2.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 3,134
  • Step3.jpg
    Step3.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 3,084
  • Step4.jpg
    Step4.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 3,006
  • Step5.jpg
    Step5.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 3,095
  • Step6.jpg
    Step6.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 3,092
  • Step7.jpg
    Step7.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 2,628
  • Step7.png
    Step7.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 3,042
  • BTNDemonShoulderUPG1.jpg
    BTNDemonShoulderUPG1.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 5,336
  • DISBTNDemonShoulderUPG1.jpg
    DISBTNDemonShoulderUPG1.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 5,357
Last edited:
1) Use

tags for the headings
2) In the "getting to know your tools" section, you can get rid of all of the nested hidden tags and just have the one overall.
3) The finished icon could use some work. The "middle" bit of it is just solid red. It needs more shading in there.
4) Use a sharpen filter at the end!
5) Use [hr]200[/hr] instead of ____________________________ for the dividers
6) In the table of contents, add [goto] and

Dude, you are using way to scratchy of a brush, and you have no prospect of shading. If you want to make a Noobs guide, you need to actually be out of the noob state.

If you wanted to create a quality icon (That noobs would actually learn to do), you'd do something like this. It retraced and drawn with the Pen Tool, Paintbrush, and Liquify from your icon, then resized to proper size for bordering. All in 5 minutes.

Shoulder.jpg

If you wanted to create a quality icon (That noobs would actually learn to do), you'd do something like this. It retraced and drawn with the Pen Tool, Paintbrush, and Liquify from your icon, then resized to proper size for bordering. All in 5 minutes.

Shoulder.jpg

You seem to be stuck in the noob state as well -- your icon isn't much better than his.

Level 6
This tutorial is pretty useful, but I still stuck on the drawing, I paint very well with a REAL pen and pencil, but with my computer's mouse I suck, I guess I'll have to get a pen and a pad in order to make better drawings ^^ - 7/10 (Not 10/10 because I didn't like your final result that much, but the tutorial is good)

you just need a steady hand, thats all. i use my scroll pad on my laptop an i do just fine.
amd in the case of the final result, the actual icon set was much better. its a weird thing i have. i cant draw the same thing twice :S

and is this not getting approved r sumthing? i fixed everything you said Pyrite

Last edited: