• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

the latest client is better than the older one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
i have played starcraft 2 since some time in february. the new client work much better than any of the older versions. even the patching problems have been solved. it also correctly show at least 3 resources in addition to supplies.(something the older versions couldnt.)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I hope they fixed the being able to choose disabled races in the lobby bug. Basically where choosing a disabled race was possible (despite it being unchoosable for some of the WE options and it being set to be unchoosable) but it would asign you to the first choosable race instead.

I can not check if this was fixed cause custom map publishing is disabled (like it has been since phase 2 started).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The new client suffers from using a lower precision depthsmap when rendering. This is no problem for normal play but if you are viewing terrain in the editor from far away it can cause conflicts of depths now (where surfaces infront or behind each other are rendered based on rounding and precision so alternate based on screen position).

Additionally water effects have been improved, the distortion looks more realistic and reflections of the light source now occur properly (sun instead of plane). However the large triangle bug still persists where a huge area of reflective water will have half of it displaying incorrectly although the graphical anomalies that occur are mor tolerable.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
That could simply come from debug, testing and obsolete code being removed from the build and thus causing it being smaller. Additionally they might have fine tuned the code with optimizations so the required code is more efficent and smaller.

Honestly client size is not much of a problem considering we have multiple GB of RAM nowdays.

That could simply come from debug, testing and obsolete code being removed from the build and thus causing it being smaller. Additionally they might have fine tuned the code with optimizations so the required code is more efficent and smaller.

Honestly client size is not much of a problem considering we have multiple GB of RAM nowdays.
Actually, they coded most of it DIRECTLY into Sc2.exe Which is great..

Level 11
Actually, they coded most of it DIRECTLY into Sc2.exe Which is great..
That isn't the cause of SC2 taking up tons of space. The extra space that is taken up is because of multiple version files, as I said. Look inside your Versions folder, there will be multiple folders with different names that contain the same mpq each time with only very minor differences.

Each one of those folders takes up about 1.34 gbs of space (and there were about 8 of them before Patch 16, and as of now I have 3). Quite sad, since only one of them actually contains anything relevant. Also, theres another 1.7 gbs or so wasted by the backup mpqs located in your Mods folders.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I understood client as in the main executable he runs as apposed to the server which is the version blizzard runs (battlenet 2.0).

The instilation of the game in the beta is a pointless measure as each patch added GBs. The release version however should not suffer from this.

Status
Not open for further replies.