• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

The help tutorial is invalid - I find that I can't import...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
06/22/2004
I will list all my questions at the end of this post, so please bear with me...
:?: Okay - I'm rather good at programming, but using skins is a tad difficult.
*** The tutorial page that says "open the import manager with the F12 key..." I think I am less than intelligent - the F12 key is doing nothing. I can find no use in the editor (by editor, unless I say otherwise I always mean the World editor that comes with Warcraft 3 RoC) for the F12 key.

The "Edit Unit Value - Model" window in the editor, the import slot is greyed out, therefore I cannot use anything - It says no valid Import Data exists, yet I have downloaded several skins and models from here, and extracted them.

I dont know if they have to be extracted to a specific folder. Everything I have seen indicates that this is not necessary.

What I am finding is that several sites are saying you have to get an mpq2k application, and that is not something I am familiar with. I have a file that tells me about these few lines, maybe they will mean something to you... Says that I should make a "batch" file, and include only this stuff, minus the "Line 1, Line 2, Line 3" parts... Here they are:

Line 1 c:
Line 2 cd\games\mpq2k\
Line 3 mpq2k a %1 textures\arthas.blp

where the part after cd\ in line 2 is the directory of the mpq2k, and the part after line 3 is set up in this format:

mpq2k a %1 (file to be added) [destination of file to be added]

It says that afterwards all I have to do to add my custom skins is to drag my map over the batch file, and then drop it.

I cant see how this will help, so I have not done so. I also do not want to alter something that should not be altered, so you could say I am paralyzed by fear - I am using a computer that isnt mine, so I have a valid issue.

I dont want to ruin Warcraft 3 by corrupting the mpq file, which seems to be what everything is telling me to do, so I ask you these questions:

For those who have actually gotten a non-normal skin onto their custom maps (Like a Medivh variation or a Blue infernal),

1) What programs did you use, and where did you get them? ( The only program I am using is the editor)

2) It seems a very simple process, but your tutorial is not correct - why does it mention the F12 key?

3) What is it that makes for a "valid imported data file"?

4) At the risk of being called pathetic, would someone have the time to send a step-by-step instruction guide? An example would be nice, like a skin with more than one part, so that way I have something to fall back on...

5) This isn't a question. If you can help me, I would be grateful. I see the replies to other peoples posts, and how they are called newbs... I have tried all that I can think of without doing something I cant reverse, and I would like some guidance... I would be grateful for any assistance, and credit will be given where credit is due when the time comes...

Sincerely,
Kit
[email protected]

Level 4
The answer to your questions.
1) Program.As in an editor program or importing program?For editing,get either Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro (Google).For importing,you use the Import Manager in WE.
2) You've probably mistakened it or it's a typo.It's the F11 key.
3) When you get a skin,you have to varify the path it goes into (For example,if you get an Arthas skin,you would go to the import manager and press the import button (page with green left arrow on it),then find the Arthas skin.Once imported,either try Textures\Arthas.blp or Units\Human\Arthas\Arthas.blp (you MUST have the \ arrows,above the enter key).The way I find out is download the Wc3 Image Extractor (under tools) and press ctrl + f after you run it.Type in Arthas and at the bottom it should say either Textures or Units,etc.Then save your map and play it.If you want to see it in WE,you have to save,exit,and run your WE again.
4) There's an import guide oO.By the way,one unit (Arthas,for example)can't have more than one skin (Like the regular Arthas skin and a different one)There is one way but it's really hard.
5) If there's anything else I can help you with,just ask.

Level 2
Still difficult... Maybe I don't have the right version...

The only kind of programs I am interested in are the ones that will help me get the skins/models into the map... Editing programs are not in the current field of interest...

Maybe I have an old version of the World Editor - perhaps there is an update I don't have. You say that the F11 key brings up the Import Manager, but for me it just brings up the Object Manager, a window in which there is no mention whatsoever (in any of the tabs or dropdown markers) anything about importing.

Other forums keep mentioning the Import Manager, and the green arrows and whatnot - but there isn't anything like that in mine; this is not a case of me not looking for it, I have explored every facet of this editor, and the only mention of "import" is for strings and such, but it is always under the FILE tab. Somehow I'm rather certain that's not it.

I am using the World Editor that you get when you install Warcraft 3: Reign of Chaos. I do not have The Frozen Throne. Perhaps everyone is talking about TFT's World Editor.

An Import Guide would be nice indeed, if I could find it. But the only files I can find are normal Readme's. It's not listed anywhere in the normal Help files included with this World Editor.

1) Are there any updates for the World Editor? Perhaps this is why nothing I have matches what people are trying to tell me.

2) As far as examples go, some skins have more than one file included with them. That was what I meant by more than one unit. It's all for the same skin, but it has more than one file to make it.

I'm a tad bit frustrated, because what you're telling me is so simple to understand, but when I try to follow it, I can't even find the first step... Perhaps my version is faulty somehow...

Kit

Level 2
I can anwer!!! :lol: I asked the same questions.
First, u right, need Frozen Throne to import.
Second the update of the Warcraft 3 editor are mad by the updates of the game when u go to battle.net

And it is always like that : the answer seems to be easy, but the way to understand them can be hard. :D
So dont be frustrated.

THe import manager with Frozen Throne is open with the F12 key.

Level 2
Well then...

I see... So apparently I cannot import with RoC... That will save me some headaches for now... For the moment I will try to finish my map, but if I get stuck I will come here once again to ask the professionals for their advice. 8)

My thanks for averting a possible disaster with the computer.

For the moment, no further questions. Again, my gratitude.

Sincerely,

Kit

Level 2
But I have a good idea for u. If u want to have import models u can even if u use only RoC, someone with Frozen throne can export for u news models and then save into RoC format if he doesn't special tools od Frozen Throne World Edit. :lol:

Level 2
Talk about backwards compatability...

That is indeed an interesting concept - but since I don't know anyone who I can give my files to, its a choice I'll have to pass over - but I must admit, with that, the possiblities are much broader in range...

Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.