• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The difference on JASS and vJASS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
I was just talking with a guy here the other day, and he mentioned vJASS. I though it was the same as JASS, but then he said it wasnt.

Im really confused here. I've always though it was the same. But he said to me that theres a difference, and that vJASS makes it hard for people making campaigns. So can someone tell me. What is the difference, and is there really one?

Level 21
vJass is an extension to jass. It aims towards easing the work for jassers.
Jasshelper is the vJass compiler, which works by simply converting the vjass syntax back into normal jass. So all of the vjass functionality could have been achieved in normal jass, but could easily take twice as long and makes your code an utter mess.
World Edit newgen basically extracts the vjass mapscript from your map upon saving the map, then passes it to jasshelper, which converts it to jass, which newgen will then import into the map.

A full list of vjass features can be found at the jasshelper manual, included in your world edit newgen folder, but also viewable here:
JassHelper 0.9.G.0

Level 21
Because newgen extracts the vjass script from the map, then passes it to jasshelper which converts it and returns a jass script.

The problem is that to do this, world edit newgen needs to know the path to the map (e.g. c:/games/war3/maps/mymap.w3x) in order to be able to extract the script and import it again.
However, campaignmaps are stored in the campaignfile (blah.w3n). Therefor, newgen can't locate the map anywhere (since it's not a separate file but a file in a campaign file) and thus can't extract the mapscript. If the mapscript can't be extracted, neither can it be compiled by jasshelper.

The "easy" solution to this is constantly extracting your campaignmap from the campaign, then saving the normal map (and thus compiling vjass into jass) and then importing the map into the campaign again. A rather tedious process if you ask me.

Status
Not open for further replies.