• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Terraining Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
So I am making an ORPG with the Sunken Ruins theme, however I am using NewGen so I have more tiles, but only the Sunken Ruins cliffs.

My third Dungeon is a crypt with Underground tiles, however I have no idea how I should make the walls in Dungeon. I know I can make big rocks if its a cave Dungeon, but I still want some part of the Dungeon to look like you are inside a room.

So I am wondering if any professional terrain has any tips on how to do this.
Thanks for any help :)

209577-albums5234-picture54461.jpg

Level 5
Peacehagen, what I'd do is use those cage-type doodads as walls then use line of sight blockers or similar just behind them. An extension of this could be to use the cage walls then place the rocks on the side opposite to where the player unit stands, so it will look like a cell within a hollowed out rock dungeon.

Alternatively, but this I personally wouldn't do to make "realistic" walls, would be to distort the terrain vertically, then put a line of pathing blockers on this terrain then a line of line of sight blockers behind it, so any units at the bottom of the distortion will see it as a wall. Obviously an appropriate tile would have to be chosen.

Lemme know if any of these work suitably. :)

Level 11
Peacehagen, what I'd do is use those cage-type doodads as walls then use line of sight blockers or similar just behind them. An extension of this could be to use the cage walls then place the rocks on the side opposite to where the player unit stands, so it will look like a cell within a hollowed out rock dungeon.

Alternatively, but this I personally wouldn't do to make "realistic" walls, would be to distort the terrain vertically, then put a line of pathing blockers on this terrain then a line of line of sight blockers behind it, so any units at the bottom of the distortion will see it as a wall. Obviously an appropriate tile would have to be chosen.

Lemme know if any of these work suitably. :)

Thanks I will try and report back if it works :)

Report: It worked well, but I found that using the Support Column in the Dalaran Ruins alos works well for some walls :) I will continue experimenting and see if I can create some other kind of walls aswell through this method, thanks! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.