• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[TAG] New Lands Tag project

Status
Not open for further replies.
[TAG] New Lands Tag project (With Beta Release!)

Hello! And welcome to New Lands Tag!

Why?:
It was a while since i last worked on this project when i last night decided to play it with my friends. When we had played it, I thought - why not post it as a Beta? And so here we are.

Content & Game:
The game drew inspiration from Tree tag, Mutant tag, Island defense & Dark Deeds. Plus, I've always liked a Tag with stuff from other game genres, much like my other Tag Project: Draenei 'N' Demons Tag! In that project, the focus was on getting professions & a knockback system up and running in a tag. With this one it is a bit more back to basics, with a whole pile of content.

Content:
The game starts with 1 tagger in the 12th player slot. The taggers' job is then to kill the runners. And Vice versa. The game starts with a 45 minute game duration. Each time the the tagger gets a kill, the game duration gets +5 minutes added. If the game time hits ~70 minutes, the tagger wins. If the timer hits 0, the runners win. Each runner has 3 lives, and when they have died the third time, the game is over for that player. At some point, a dead runner system will probably be utilized, but for the time being, it's not here. (runners also win if they kill the tagger)
Some special upgrades and creations for the runners cost gold. Like with Island defense, you've got to do something daring to get the gold. But instead of going to the center of the map, you've got to take a swing at the tagger! If you deal 50 or more damage, you'll gain 1 gold. if you do 100 or more, it's 2 gold and so forth. Most races will primarily have to have their runner attack the tagger, putting their life on the line. Some runners are more suited for this than others.
There are lots of runners and taggers! and more keeps coming! On the runner side We've got the Human, Ogre, Redkin, Manakin, Spirit, Goblin, Voodoo, Mountain Giant and Batrider runners. Each with their special attributes and playstyles. The human, ogre, redkin, spirit runners are very keen on establishing a base, whereas the manakin and goblin runners take a more renegade way, and craft some buildings or units, whilst still having a runner that can use some really effective abilities itself. We then have the Batrider and Mountain Giant runners Which are classified as the Mercenaries. They are supposed to be in the middle of the fray, attacking the tagger, kiting and generally be a monumental prescence when dealing with the tagger. And then, perhaps the most special runner - the Voodoo runner. As strange as he is powerful. Skilled in the deadly voodoo arts, he have the ability to hurt or affect the tagger across the map, as long as he have made a tagger-doll. He's a really unique runner, that give the tag a touch of it's own.

runners.png

Shot at 2011-03-07

goblinrunner.png

At the time writing, there's 7 taggers, each a little bit special. All the taggers have distinctive differences and a number of abilities. Each tagger individually have: An innate ability, an active, a passive, an Ultimate spell, but all taggers have 2 of the same abilities, Scout and stalk, respectively a tool for finding runners, and a tool for approaching runners stealthed. Scout is very valuable, and should be taken as the first ability (all taggers start at level 2, so they can take 2 abilities.).

taggers.png

Haven't we all played tags where it's infernally dull to be the tagger? Every time it's been because of lack of content, in my opinion. To add something to the tagger play experience, i'v added the Combining system. The tagger has a shop that sells 4 abilities - Move, Burn, Pain & Wind. they are a short distance blink, a tree-removal tool, a single-target burst damage (that also shows a lightning effect between you and the target.) and the ability to throw someone into the Air. (cyclone) Each of these abilities can be combined in sets of two, creating a third spell. (there's 4 base spells, and 6 combined) The whole list and effects can be found in the quest log in-game.
For better replayability and not getting stuck with the same game all the time, some - about half (estimate) of the trees are randomly generated. So no two games are the same!
As mentioned before, somewhere, i enjoy putting cross-genre elements in my games, and therefore I've decided to put a storyline in this game, describing why and how the situation developed to what it is.

(Taken from the In-game story (i'm working on rewriting these in a better language at the moment...))

Lore - The Intruders

The forces of darkness, demons and the like have invaded the world and the time had come for the settled to disband, fall back, and regroup. Some beings, like the Mountain giant and the Batrider Troll, got seperated from the armies they were a part of, and chose to group up as renegade mercenaries, or to seek an excistence of their own. The Human race, the Ogres, the Redkin and the Manakin, have made a truce to live in peace side by side, in the way that they prefer; in colonies. But the encroaching of the demons forced them to move time and time again, and in the end - ending up in front of the monumental 'Living' forest, wherein no settlements have been made before. The settling races met with the renegade mercenaries and banded together, grouping up to venture into the forest, and create a society of all races in unison. Many spots in the forest seemed very hostile, or unbuildable, and many lives were lost in the travels. Eventually the group found an area that seemed asleep, only peace and warm shadows could be found. Little did they know that they had reached the heart of the forest. The spot seemed perfect, and soon, they began to settle, many together, others only with their Kinsmen. But one thing remained; An unbreakable interracial bond that had been crafted through the adventure through the forest.

Looking For Help!
While i take care of the coding itself, the basic terraining and most of the storyline, i would really like people to help me in the creation of this map. Currently i'm looking to get these positions filled:

Testers! - both regular and drop-by-s who give a suggestion or a bit of error correcting, tell of exploits, or just telling me how they like the map so far and what they think is greatly appreciated.
2D Artist - I need a 2D artist that can make better icons than those i do. While i can do some stuff, I'm not nearly skilled enough - also loading screens, minimap preview images and such stuff. I've done it myself so far, only just quickly sketching some down, but it's of a poor quality.
Text corrector - I've written loads and loads of tooltips, stories, descriptions etc. etc. and mistakes happen. If anyone would look it over, it'd be much appreciated.
Creative help - If you've got any ideas of content that you want in the map, races, taggers, story, spells, game modes or ANYTHING! leave a comment!
Storyline artist - I like doing my own storyline, but if you're itching to do some as well, I could use you.

Hired:
Ayrayen - Tester

Changelog:
adding:
Added batrider content - upgrades and abilities.
Added more terrain ramps from the rivers
Added lots of tips.
Made Forest stags spawn around the map. Their number will never deplete, as random are generated each time one is removed.
Whenever the Tagger kills anything a small area is revealed around the killed unit to him / her.
Added armor bonus to the goblin research Sturdiness.

- - - - -

Added the Enchanter runner
The Enchanter is a transforming runner. At day he's a defensive builder / support / Army builder. At night he transforms into one of three beasts. Each special, but all great at attacking the tagger.
Abilities:
Enchant Vitality - Instantly sets the Enchanter's hp to 100%. (Charge in bear form, Rend in Wolf form, and Chain Lightning in Storm Wyrm form.)
Enchant Allies - Adds hp reg, mana reg, armor and damage to nearby allies. (Wide Swings in bear form, Violent Swipes in Wolf form, and Spell shield in Storm Wyrm Form.)
Enchant Critter - Converts a target forest stag into one of three small beasts to fight in combat (limited to food) (Magical enragement in Bear form, Prowl in Wolf form, and Stempede in Storm Wyrm Form.)
Difficulty:
Medium - Hard

- - - - -

modifying:
Fixed the tips.
Fixed some tooltips and F9 text.
Removed a few trees.
Remade the selection hotkeys totally. Now works with the QWERASDFZXCV keys.
Modified most tagger ultimates to become way more powerful.
Modified Surge's Tidal wave to have 2000 range at all levels.
Renamed 'N'grok the Dirtclad' to simply 'N'Grok'
You no longer get kicked out if you die the third time.
Nerfed most Army units.

This was primarily afterbalancing of the Enchanter, and buffing the tagger. Plus a few fixes.

modifying:
Fixed tagger starting in level 25.
Readded the Human smithy. Woops.
Doubled attack speed scaling with agility for taggers
Increased armor per agility from 0.3 to 0.45.
Increased base hp of all taggers by 1000 (to 4000) - quillious only got 250. (to 750)
changed stun time of Bear form enchanter from 2 to 1, decreased hp gain from magical enragement by 200, (to 300), and damage gain from 100 to 50.
Bear form enchanter damage changed from 450 to 300, and set attack cooldown from 1,75 to 2 seconds.
Stags can now be killed.
nerfed tick damage on rend from 20 to 10.
Rock-hard skin of the Mountain giant runner increased from 100 to 175.
Nerfed attack speed of ogre & human towers.
Nerfed attack speed & damage of Manakin towers.´
Increased gold and xp gain for buildings considered important to the runners - towers, research facilities, vault of artefact.
Probably some more, but i forgot.

changelog (V. BETA 0.03):

Idea:
The purpose of this was just to publish another Tagger - and fixing a bug from v0.02a. As we were lacking some more variety. It's being focused on at the moment.
Next update will probably contain adjustments of tagger item spells, and 50-50 chance of either a new tagger or runner.

adding:
Added 9 more tips. - now at 59 (My god, i love doing tips :D)

- - - - -

Added Pyrian The Firespawn tagger
Pyrian, being of fire, is feared by the forest itself, and he is only unleashed when the forest really need to cleanse itself.
Pyrian was made to counter primarily the Enchanter
Abilities:
Class Innate - Passive - Raging Fire - Each time Pyrian damages an organic target in any way, he gains a stack of Raging fire, increasing his attack speed by 5%, movement speed by 2%, and size by 10%. Stacks 10 times.
Class Active - Eruption - Pyrian opens a massive volcano to fire chunks of flaming rock, that stuns and damages.
Class Passive - Blazing Death - Pyrian has a very small chance to do ten times regular damage.
Class Ultimate - Burnt Horizon - Reveals the targetted 1000 AoE area for 10 seconds. All trees within the area is instantly destroyed.
Difficulty:
Easy (not to say VERY easy - he is truly very easy.)

- - - - -

modifying:
Set difficulty declaration of bramblestalker and Il'Dhearan (furbolg & ghost) to relatively Easy-Medium & Medium-hard from Easy & Medium.
Redid most tagger Learn descriptions to correctly have Hyphens where intended. Also, Learn hotkeys work on all taggers except Pyrian's passive.
Il'Dhearan's passive now procs at 15% chance, up from 8%.
Hopefully fixed the 'game not found' bug.

changelog (V. BETA 0.04):

Idea:
The stags gave 100 gold a kill. This was the primary reason for this semi fix patch. When i started, i though that i might as well continue with some other stuff.(and tons of xp... 520 by my calculations. whereas most stuff give 25-40 xp, so a big bug)
Next patch will probably contain another play option (tagger / Runner), and i'm hoping to get modes implemented at some point.

Adding:
Nothing.

modifying:
Stags fixed.
Enchanter 'Enchant critter' and 'return resources' hotkey conflict resolved. Return resources have been moved to 't'.
Wolves of the forest (Creep spell) have increased hp by 50, attack damage from 25 to 50. They should now be more worthwhile...
The Flame spell deals increased damage in a 400 range area. up from 300.
Pain spell damage upped from 100 to 150.
Chain spell damage upped from 100 to 150.

Thanks for looking at this! You can download a protected Beta below, if you feel like trying it.

Attachments

• New lands TAG Beta v0.01.w3x
    326.6 KB · Views: 99
  • New lands TAG Beta v0.02a.w3x
    350.9 KB · Views: 48
  • New Lands Tag V.0.03 P.w3x
    343.1 KB · Views: 68
  • New lands TAG Beta v0.04 P.w3x
    338.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
So. Updated the thread to contain pictures.

I would like to emphasize, that every comment is welcome :D even just commenting on the thread presentation! That's not my strong suit either.

Hmm... So... how about a changelog?

so far I haven't uploaded thse changes:
* Fixed some typos and such
* Made some more F9 stuff
* Messed around with N'grok and walls hp / damage.

Just a small edit, not worth protecting and reuploading.

And again! please comment all you'd like :D

Level 5
Ohh i allways liked tags. They are much of a little minigame!
Makes me think off vampirism...

However!

This one looks different to the ones i have played. Much cooler, more choices etc...

I would likely test your map to check the stability and such things.

Can i test it anytime or do you want me to test it any specific times?
~Tester

Level 5
Sounds neat mate.
Haven't played tag for a long time. Tags should be reborned.
So should rpg's.

Cant wait to test it though!

Will check it tomorrow hehe :) !
(Hope its protected)

Level 5
Ok ive tested your map with some players and noticed much at the start actually.

I was verry confused at the beginning but choosed random hero and got a runner that can fly. [The orc dude]

However then i noticed he only had 2 buildings?!

The first thing i thought was that i would get better and better buildings lately but nope....

Useless uppgrades one after another untill it started to cost gold.

The other building costed gold to.

I had no defence at all.
I didn't have a clue how to gather gold either...

So after dying a couple of times i notice you have an amount of lifes.
3 if im not wrong. Maybe mark that?

And if i die i will get returned to the main screen.
Why not stay in game? Could be nice if you want to se how it ends!

Also if the tagger leaves, try to fix a bot atleast.
Cause there is only 1 tagger...
When a player leaves it wont be displayed. Maybe add a small message?

It didn't happen to much in the game though.. Maybe add some shops and / or runes appearing and dissapering now and then?

I personally think there should be atleast 2 taggers so that he wont feel that he is playing alone.

Things to improve:

Fix a little more info about the gold how to gather it though.

And a bot replacing the leaver would be nice, display leavers and lifes!

Fix the Runner i choosed..

Also maybe add some more environment? Like bushes/waterfalls/fishes/seaweed/ruins. Something that gives life into the forest!

And thats what i got for now!

Not bad start anyways.
Continue your great work please!

Oh... you probably got the mercenary runner troll batrider. he's meant to harass the tagger constantly, and assist other players if they wish to go for the tagger. If you get human, ogre, manakin, redkin, or maybe Goblin, you'll have a lot more to do other than just be a lump of meat. Batrider is in desperate need of more content, and i'm aware of it. He's one of the things that are under my scope right now. Thinking to run him a bit more caster-y, and such. But you should be able to create very many of your pools, and they can be used as walls and towers.

about not going on when you die... It's until i get the dead runner system working. Last time it bugged a bit, and the dead runners could make 4 permanent invisible workers that damaged 100 each... I've been modifying the dead runner system ever since. I'll get it running as soon as i can.

:D i'm hiring a terrainer, i'm just horrible at terraining.

thanks for the feedback! i'll be sure to follow your points, and i'll have 0.02 beta up as soon as i can ;)

Level 5
Ohh the terrain wasn't so bad but just add some bushes and such to make the forest look more alive!

Ohh ok but still the blood pools were crappy even after their uppgrades.

But i get the point.
Maybe add some more abilities to him?

However. How do i get gold anyways? I've thought for a long time now haha!

BUMP!

Updated the beta with a new runner, and lots and lots of updates! I probably forgot a lot of the stuff i did. The changelog is therefore incomplete.

I spent most of today and yesterday - yesterday was my birthday XD - creating the Enchanter Runner, and he's turned out really, really good. But possibly bugged.

Ayrayen! Would you please test?

Level 5
Yes i would be happy to test it.

Though.

When i host it it says: - The game canot be found -
My hint is to rename the map so it wont get so long.
Remember the blizzard name requirement thingy.

Important!!!

Level 5
Are you sure?
I keep having the probs. It still says: The game canot be found.

It's still to long xP

really? i only added 1 letter :O There's no change in name of the map in the map selection list, you know. But i'll just upload v.0.03 now... then the name length should be back to normal again.

Plus, you might want to upgrade your game version to 1.25b... if you haven't already.

I know what the problem is... i think after the update, my map protector stopped working... now i gotta learn to do it manually first... brb...

The problem is now fixed. And i sing a song of mourning for my no longer working protector, it was loved.

Last edited:
Level 5
So i decided to take a look at the new version. now i wanted to take a look as a tagger. I choosed random = Druid tagger. The first thing i noticed was that i level'd up and gained gold when killing raindeers. Also when i killed some raindeers i had 1300 gold. So you maybe should fix that.

And also fix the time limits to choose your hero with. Because you'v made an incredible big description on the heroes. It would be good if i had time to read it to.

Also would be nice if you fixed that there could be 3 taggers instead of 1.
Its good because then the tagger can talk with someone.

Level 3
There is just 1 problem i guess. When a runner dies and the timer goes up +5, people will use that to destroy the game. Not everyone, but some people are just idiots.

Nice and detailed description, sounds funny, going to test it when i get home.

/Tozza

@Ayrayen - Woops. The stags give that much? oh yeah... now i see why... my bad, another version will be up at some point.

More taggers? No. I won't. Not as long as i can stand my ground against it. Everyone suggests it to me, but i've constructed the map to work with 1 tagger, and 1 tagger only. Not only would it be a massive reconstruction of all the coding, it would also take rebalancing all the races, remaking the terrain (it's currently made for 1 tagger - and all terrain setup is done to accomodate this fact), and i don't want to go through that, as i am in a very comfortable point with this map. I haven't tested it with loads of people, but i probably should sometime, as i know there's huge balancing issues for more people.

that wall of text aside, i won't change tagger number, but possibly game modes will be implemented at some time, changing the game experience.

@Tozza - Yeah. But isn't all games screwed up by such people? I see no way to avoid it, other to play the map as it was meant to be played - with people you know and understand. I only make maps oriented at that, as B-Net has become far too old to get a reliable crowd. It's the only way ahead.

Thanks! i'll appreciate the testing!

Level 5
Nice nice its good to se a good start with the map atleast.

You should think about the game modes that makes it more intresting with the tagger as you mention.

Would be nice!

Keep up your great work.

+rep

Status
Not open for further replies.