• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Suggestions asked for a WH40K campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm working on a small campaign set in the WH40K universe and I'd like to get some suggestions if you have any. First of all, it's not going to be "the full Warhammer 40,000-experience" or anything like that; I'm merely using anything that even remotely resembles the stuff Games Workshop has created and alter it slightly. I'll make the campaign in a style similiar to Warcraft 2 with minimal dialogue and a "briefing" in the beginning, instead of doing a poor attempt to imitate the masters at Blizzard. Because I haven't the slightest idea how modelling tools work (and my attention span isn't the best imaginable) I'll just re-skin anything I intend to use. Luckily, WH40K is mostly "knights in space" so I can use many of the regular human models for the Space Marine- faction and Orks aren't that different from fantasy Orcs. If you have any suggestions or helpful advices on what existing models would work or generally how I could give the campaign the distinct feeling of a "grim dark future where there is only war", let me know. It will be appreciated.

Level 3
Har, har. Tongue-in-cheek comments are also welcome. But seriously, what about music suggestions or anything else? I've half-heartedly thought about using music from Warcraft II and Conan the Barbarian. Any wails of protest?

Level 3
Good point, but it's still in the planning stage, so I'm experimenting with various ideas. When I've made significant progress I'll post some screenshots for you. That might take some time because my dayjob is rather exhausting and time-consuming.

Level 3
To Sansui: I'm not buying the game, because I have no interest in it. Plus, what is wrong with making a tribute to someone else's ideas? It's a rip-off only if I use their stuff and claim it was my own idea.

To Mechanical Man: I've thought about that, but I prefer the music in Warcraft II.

Level 3
Let me clarify: I have never played Dawn of War and besides screenshots I have no idea what the damn game is like. I'm making a campaign set in WH40K-universe, taking bits and pieces of the story elements and simplifying many aspects of it. Converting the table top rules suitable for Warcraft is way too time consuming, so I'm using what I have available and try to make it resemble the miniature game visually as much as I can. Like I first said: this is not going to be a "full WH40K experience"! It's a simple TRIBUTE to the guys who created this game back in the 80s and those who've developed it further. I'm not trying to make the best or grandest thing created with the Worldeditor, just a simple, modest campaign about something I like. If you have a problem with that, it's none of my concern.

Level 15
Why 40k though?

It'd make a lot more sense to do Warhammer.

If you did, I have some old textures and models you could use.

For example:

wbk7wg.gif

Level 3
That's a generous offer. Thank you. I've thought of making both, actually. Right now I'll try 40K because I feel inspired by all the new stuff GW has produced recently. Cool skins btw.

Level 3
Mainly the first option but also a bit of the second. Obviously, I can't make everything like it is in the miniature game so you can expect some changes amongst especially Tyranids and Orks. The story is divided into several small or medium sized maps that each give a small clue to what is happening and from the viewpoint of the different factions involved. The story isn't going to cause any significant changes to the 40K timeline but instead show what happens on "ground level" during the numerous conflicts nobody can keep count of.

Level 15
Mods created in the Warhammer 40K universe:
If your mod contains *any* elements from the Warhammer 40,000 universe, it must contain *only* elements from that universe.
You must include a disclaimer in your mod stating something similiar to the following: "This mod is completely unofficial and in no way endorsed by Games Workshop Limited."

Please make the origins of the intellectual property very clear, in other words, make sure that from a brief review of your material people know that you are unofficially using Games Workshop's intellectual property.

More information regarding Games Workshop's IP can be found here: Link. It is strongly suggested that you check it out thoroughly before releasing your mod to the public, and apply it retroactively immediately if you have already released a mod without these features..

Level 3
Wow, this is serious. Thanks for letting me know. I'll make sure nobody mistakes this for the genuine stuff. I only intend to put things in the campaign that fit within all the established rules and background, but as for the appearence of certain units I need to make small adjustments (i.e I'll use WC3 orc models because I can't model and making super beefy Orks with no fore-heads and huge jaws would be beyond me).

Level 3
After some thought I've decided to forget about the campaign and focus instead on 1 or 2 free-standing maps just to see how it would work. Rather foolhardy of me to think about creating an entire campaign :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.