• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[SOLVED] Campaign editor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hello everyone!

I´m trying to make my own campaign. So far, I've made six maps and placed them in the campaign editor. To test it, I've placed it into the campaigns folder. When trying to test it, Warcraft 3 says the campaign has only two maps. to make things even worse, when finishing map 1, the second map isn't loading. I can't figure out what the problem is. Could someone tell me what the problem is?

I've added my campaign to this post.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Tale of the two brothers-Campaign V2.0.w3n
    5.3 MB · Views: 14
Level 20
So I did a quick test on your campaign.

I'm not sure what you mean by "says it only has two maps" - if you mean that you can't see the mission buttons, you need to either mark the maps as visible in the "Loading Screen" tab of the Campaign Editor or have triggers that unlock then as the player completes map (Set Next Level to launch the next map + Show Custom Campaign Button to show the button on the campaign screen).

If you did that and it's not working, I don't know what the problem is, because it should work.

Your second map didn't load because it has imported data in it and something caused a conflict. I deleted all custom data from the map, quickly run through the first one and it loaded for me without issues. As a general rule, if you're making a campaign, use only the campaign import/custom data thing.

Last edited:
Level 20
I think having imported data in a map within a campaign isn't an issue.
Well, I had issues with campaign maps failing to load when they had imported data before (which was fixed after moving imports to campaign data), so I'm confident that it can sometimes cause issues and thus I assumed that was the problem here.

That said, I tested the campaign again, this time without any alterations, and after finishing the first map, the second one loaded just fine, so... I'll admit - it seems like I jumped the gun and was wrong. My bad, sorry.

Anyway, since the second map loaded just fine for me and I've also seen its button appear correctly, I don't know what the problem here is.

Last edited:
Well, I had issues with campaign maps failing to load when they had imported data before (which was fixed after moving imports to campaign data), so I'm confident that it can sometimes cause issues and thus I assumed that was the problem here.

That said, I tested the campaign again, this time without any alterations, and after finishing the first map, the second one loaded just fine, so... I'll admit - I jumped the gun and was wrong. My bad, sorry.

Anyway, since the second map loaded just fine for me and I've also seen its button appear correctly, I'm not really sure what the problem here is.
I see, I didn't know that, I'll bare that in mind I'd obviously never heard of that before. But now that you mention it I believe campaign maps could still break if the filesize was too large.

So hey I guess I learned something new :) tbf the amount of stuff that causes weird behaviour in campaigns is infinite, campaign files are just cursed.

Level 13

That said, I tested the campaign again, this time without any alterations, and after finishing the first map, the second one loaded just fine, so... I'll admit - it seems like I jumped the gun and was wrong. My bad, sorry.

Anyway, since the second map loaded just fine for me and I've also seen its button appear correctly, I don't know what the problem here is.

Thanks for the testing! Sadly it's still not working at my warcraft 3. It's still saying the campaign has only two maps with only the first one loading. Is the filesize too big for my computer? Because it works for you.

Level 20
It's still saying the campaign has only two maps with only the first one loading.
How is it failing to load? Does it crash the game, gives some errors, returns to the campaign screen without saying anything, etc.? If you enable the map button in the campaign editor, does the map load from that? What version of W3 are you using?

Level 13
If I complete the first map, it's returning to the campaign screen without doing anything else. I've set the map button on the campaign loading screen to 'yes', but it isn't visible from the start (I can only see the first map on the campaign screen, despite the fact that all six maps should be visible). The version is 1.27.0.52240.

Level 20
If I complete the first map, it's returning to the campaign screen without doing anything else.
This sounds like the issues I've had in the past with the imported data in maps, though it wouldn't explain the buttons not appearing...

So - try changing it so that map 1 launches/shows button for map 3/4/5/6 and see if any of them will work, that way we'll know if there's something wrong with map 2 or in general (I'm assuming your triggers in map 1 are fine since they worked for me).

You can also try deleting the imported data from your 2nd map and see if it loads then. I mean, it's most likely not going to help, but it will take you 2 minutes to check, so might as well do it - I tested your map in 1.31.1, perhaps 1.27 had a smaller map size limit or some other quirk.

Level 13
I
This sounds like the issues I've had in the past with the imported data in maps, though it wouldn't explain the buttons not appearing...

So - try changing it so that map 1 launches/shows button for map 3/4/5/6 and see if any of them will work, that way we'll know if there's something wrong with map 2 or in general (I'm assuming your triggers in map 1 are fine since they worked for me).

You can also try deleting the imported data from your 2nd map and see if it loads then. I mean, it's most likely not going to help, but it will take you 2 minutes to check, so might as well do it - I tested your map in 1.31.1, perhaps 1.27 had a smaller map size limit or some other quirk.

I've tried your two tips, but it didn't work. So the problem isn't in this part. Do you know where to install a newer patch (preferably patch 1.29)?

To answer the question of Daffa. I've placed one campaign file in the campaigns folder. Another file is on a seperate place on my computer, but they are the same.

What should I do according to you? Try to install a more recent patch?

Level 20
Do you know where to install a newer patch (preferably patch 1.29)?
If you have a legal cd-key, you can use files in this thread: WC3 Download Archive (1.00 - 1.31.1 + BETA & DEMO)

What should I do according to you? Try to install a more recent patch?
Well, you can try narrowing down the list of potential causes by grouping them into categories and checking them one by one. Once you find the general category of what's causing your problems, you can try digging deeper to find the cause. But seeing as how your campaign works fine for me and how you can't even get the 2nd button to appear if you set it to do so in the campaign editor, I think something might be wrong with your game.

In that case, you should start with this:

Create a new campaign file with 2 empty maps. Add a button for each with map 1 having the button visible and map 2 hidden. Then you take map 1, carefully add a simple victory condition (e.g. chat message) and the basic transition actions (set next level, show button). And then you test it. If it doesn't work and you're certain you set up the transition correctly then my theory is likely correct.

If the problem is with your game, I'd suggest reinstalling or trying a different patch. If not then you can try experimenting with various things (e.g. deleting all imports from both maps and the campaign file, disabling triggers in map 1 and remaking the transition trigger from scratch, trying to load an empty map after finishing map 1 or loading map 2 from an empty map, trying to copy your maps to a new campaign file, etc.).

Last edited:
Level 13
If you have a legal cd-key, you can use files in this thread: WC3 Download Archive (1.00 - 1.31.1 + BETA & DEMO)

Well, you can try narrowing down the list of potential causes by grouping them into categories and checking them one by one. Once you find the general category of what's causing your problems, you can try digging deeper to find the cause. But seeing as how your campaign works fine for me and how you can't even get the 2nd button to appear if you set it to do so in the campaign editor, I think something might be wrong with your game.

In that case, you should start with this:

Create a new campaign file with 2 empty maps. Add a button for each with map 1 having the button visible and map 2 hidden. Then you take map 1, carefully add a simple victory condition (e.g. chat message) and the basic transition actions (set next level, show button). And then you test it. If it doesn't work and you're certain you set up the transition correctly then my theory is likely correct.

If the problem is with your game, I'd suggest reinstalling or trying a different patch. If not then you can try experimenting with various things (e.g. deleting all imports from both maps and the campaign file, disabling triggers in map 1 and remaking the transition trigger from scratch, trying to load an empty map after finishing map 1 or loading map 2 from an empty map, trying to copy your maps to a new campaign file, etc.).

I think I found the problem. I've downloaded another custom campaign from the Hive on my computer and placed it in Documents -> Blizzard -> Warcraft 3 -> Campaigns. This campaign doesn't show up either. So I'm either placing the files at the wrong spot, or the folder ain't working.

I think I found the problem. I've downloaded another custom campaign from the Hive on my computer and placed it in Documents -> Blizzard -> Warcraft 3 -> Campaigns. This campaign doesn't show up either. So I'm either placing the files at the wrong spot, or the folder ain't working.
Campaigns that are of the wrong version will not show up either.

Status
Not open for further replies.