• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

So what really can cause fatal errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
My map is causing people to get fatal errors, and from what I understand it is trigger related, but it seems not to be connected to triggers. Could it be poorly done custom models? Could it be sounds?

Eitherway, is there some definitive list of things that can definitely cause fatal errors somewhere? I'm tired of dealing with the fatal error issue, and I am also tired of searching through threads about people's guesses about what causes fatal errors.

Thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Non hero units being minupliated as heroes (eg str/agi/int tomes) will cause crashes.
Some infinate loops will cause crashes.
Creating objects like quests during map loading via editors like JNGP will cause fatal errors on map load.
Currupted important files in the MPQ will cause fatal errors on map load.
Manipulating basic types stored in hashtables as different types can result in fatal errors.
Curropting a normal unit or building via using a morph spell to turn it into a hero temporarly can cause fatal errors on unit death.
Passing to player events a player which does not exist (null/Player(16+)) will cause a fatal error.
Moving objects into each other / unpathable areas for that unit will occasionally cause a fatal error or atleast used to in older versions of WC3 (is known to cause lag as well).
Overloading the game to its limates (eg too many objects) will cause a fatal error.
Passing standard abilities invalid values like negative or occasionally 0 will cause fatal errors or infinate loops (avoid 0 time on perodic effects, broken paths and negative vales on time stats).
Lowering or raising the terrain too high ingame via effects will result in fatal errors once the limate is exceeded (you should avoid this all together due to it causing splits with mac users).

Thats a few I can think of from the top of my head.

Level 8
Thank you for the information. I had no clue, I'm sure I've broken some of these rules in some places.

There should really be a sticky about what can cause a fatal error, they probably ruin as many games as memory leaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.