• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sky Problem :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
Hey all, i am relatively new with the usage of sky, and i believe there are things i can do which i don't know..
So, is there a way to manipulate the sky box in the editor?
Many times, when i zoom out i get this ugliness..

dGCnP.jpg

Can someone give me some tips as to how to avoid this thing?

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Oookay, first, remove the skybox/ignore it. Second, if you are using UTM just add a stormsphere, tint the fog the color you want the sky, add some clouds and make them lighter (if it's a dark environment)/ darker (if it's a lighter environment). After that, you should get something very nice. For sun effects, use glow + light from above ( use negative real values to change the pitch angle) or sun flares. That should be enough to start with. :)

Level 8
Oookay, first, remove the skybox/ignore it. Second, if you are using UTM just add a stormsphere, tint the fog the color you want the sky, add some clouds and make them lighter (if it's a dark environment)/ darker (if it's a lighter environment). After that, you should get something very nice. For sun effects, use glow + light from above ( use negative real values to change the pitch angle) or sun flares. That should be enough to start with. :)

So don't use to skybox at all?

I am sceptical about relying on the stormsphere completely..

2-P

2-P

Level 8
Warcraft tracks the position of your head with your webcam to determine the optimal position for the skybox (for a better 3D effect of the sky). If you zoom out too much the calculations get messed up for some reason. You can fix that by moving your monitor/webcam closer to your face.

Alternatively you have to make your own sky because Blizzard skies are so 2005.

Level 8
Warcraft tracks the position of your head with your webcam to determine the optimal position for the skybox (for a better 3D effect of the sky). If you zoom out too much the calculations get messed up for some reason. You can fix that by moving your monitor/webcam closer to your face.

Alternatively you have to make your own sky because Blizzard skies are so 2005.

ps, hey you, yeah you.

FUCK YOU.

Good job! :thumbs_up:

This issue can be solved by zooming in until the skybox fills the horizon, then relying on CTRL+RIGHT CLICK to move around, not on zooming in and out. Also, this doesn't happen in game, so you have no reason to worry, unless you're taking screenshots, which can be fixed by what I've said.

Also, refrain from such posts Maestros. 2-P's post was a troll post because this is pretty much a non-issue.

Level 8
This issue can be solved by zooming in until the skybox fills the horizon, then relying on CTRL+RIGHT CLICK to move around, not on zooming in and out. Also, this doesn't happen in game, so you have no reason to worry, unless you're taking screenshots, which can be fixed by what I've said.

Also, refrain from such posts Maestros. 2-P's post was a troll post because this is pretty much a non-issue.

HappyTauren, the problem is, that indeed, i am creating showcasing terrains, and i need to take pictures. And some of them are just massive. And that is why i am having trouble with the damn sky.. mostly i am "zoomed out" and i get this problem a lot...

Now as you understand, this is indeed an issue for me, since i have problem and can't proceed with my "work". So i don't appreciate being trolled by some kid.

If trolling is justified in posts like mine, which i have provided details for the problem, and screenshot, then i guess it is revered in many threads in the other helping forums, where usually the question is something like

"how can i turn buildings?"
or
"how can i put negative values in damage?"
or
"my triggers dont work"
*100 trigger lines*

and so on..

If so, let the trolling begin, because trust me, many times i too had some epic lines right in my mouth, but held back, because i didn't want to get offensive.
Especially to people who are just asking for help.

You can right click on the terrain and then use mouse to move the camera around. Zooming in/out always messes up the camera. If the skybox is too big, you need to zoom out by scrolling and the use right click to navigate further. If the skybox get too tiny, you just zoom in and then, agiain, use right click to navigate around. Of course, you can also use arrow keys, but they are sort of innacurate, especially for what you're trying to achieve. Also, disregard the 'ctrl' part, just haven't terrained in a while.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
To sum this thread up:

• The question was answered already.
  • Magtheridon is wrong.
  • 2-P is one of the greater legends in terraining ever.
  • The abhorrent trolling actually seems kind of lighthearted seeing as it was really kind of obvious and...
  • The question was answered already.
  • Your tantrum is not really warranted.
  • People hate you if you are thrown into a fit for everything. Oh and did I mention
  • Magtheridon is wrong.

If you are still skeptical about the stormsphere you haven't been using it right. Most top terrains you have likely seen here use it. Set it to RGB(0,0,0) and adjust the scaling in correspondence to how grand a scope you are going for and you can work from scratch with a completely one-colored sky. The color is set by applying terrain fog.

From here you can probably work out that you tweek it with cloudspheres and whatever glow or effect you want to add.

Thank you,
I was fladdermasken.

And this was the story of yet another thread gone wrong.

Level 8
@fladdermasken

I don't care even if he is the King.
I don't put up with trolling. period. If you do, well, everyone is different.

Thank you for your suggestions, i will try working with the stormspheres more and see what happens.. As they say, practice makes perfect :)))

+ rep to everyone who helped me ^^

(edit, fladdermasken i cant rep you again, i reped you when you posted that terrain, but i wont forget to do so)

Status
Not open for further replies.