• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Shattered Alliances (Broken Alliances type map)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tya

Tya

Level 2
Lordaeron Conquest was my first foray into strategy maps. It turned out okay, and I learnt a lot from it. Still, I want to give this map type another bash. I'll be documenting my progress here if you're interested!

Uc5Ac2m.png

Let's start with the general terrain shape. SC2 is pretty restrictive in terms of map size so I have to be economical with this instead of making it look geographically appealing.

ucyFBNc.png

Next let's plan out the bases. The terrain will pretty much need to be built around proper base distance anyway, so it makes sense to plot these out first.

1qvN30P.png

Let's add some rivers and geography. The intention was to split the map up so that there were 4-6 bases per enclosed area, without it looking overly deliberate.

lrvcRh5.png

Color it in a bit. We'll texture it properly later.

F65sbyX.png

And finally for today, let's draw out some bases. The intent here is to really go wild with making every base area feel completely unique. To that end, each base will ideally have a unique style to it. Here's to hoping there's enough styles to flesh out all 32 bases!

l3KK1h7.jpg

Close-up of one of the bases. Texturing is a mess right now but that'll be fixed later. We want big, solid tree walls to make it completely clear where the boundries of the bases lie. The walls are all creeped up with vines too, as a bit of flair. One of the nice things about the SC2 editor is to apply these "glazes" to models, which is something we'll add more of later!

M3LTFde.jpg

Another pre-textured base. The rivers need to be filled with water and the landscape itself is way too rough, but we'll work on that tomorrow.

The red circles are nodes. The owner of each base has access to these nodes, and may spend gold to build towers on them. Gates may be opened and closed at will, but require gold to be rebuilt should they be destroyed. Lastly, the circle of power thing is just a dummy unit used to assign the bases randomly.

Things look pretty scant right now, but all the behind-the-scenes stuff is finished and ready to go.

So what about the map itself?

32 randomly positioned bases. Each player will be given 3 bases. Neutral bases may be purchased with gold. Each base has 4-6 unique units, ranging from archers to murlocs, and custom units too. While bases are always in a random position, it will always be the same 32 bases, so that murloc den will always be somewhere.

Game modes will be 5v5, 4v4, 3v3v3, 2v2v2v2v2, FFA (1 ally limit), FFA (2 ally limit) and pure FFA with no limits whatsoever. I actually can't wait to give this a go on 3v3v3...

Spawn structures may be upgraded with unit spawns, which periodically spawn. A trickle of gold is gained passively, with most of it coming from slaying enemy units.

Oh and of course, a custom UI.

3XyMTyG.jpg

All in all I hope to have the map completed over the next 7 days![/COLOR]

Status
Not open for further replies.