1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Scorpion's Tail

Submitted by Tabletti
This bundle is marked as substandard. It may contain bugs, not perform optimally or otherwise be in violation of the submission rules.
Contents:
1. "Pre-speech"
2. Prologue
3. The base idea
4. Credits
5. Changelog

Game difficulty: Easy/Medium at worst

1. "Pre-speech"
This is my first map, so don't expect anything like JASS or completely leakless gameplay. To be honest, I made almost everything by myself, with default Word Editor and common sense one can go a long way. But even that alone ain't propably enough. :)
Please report any glaring bugs (besides mobs often respawning to weird places, l am aware and unable to fix that with my current level of skill).
Oh and, all constructive criticism and improvement suggestions (that l am able to do, nothing involving JASS, incredibly complicated triggers, or stuff like that) are greatly appreciated.

2. Prologue.
You are a military soldier, Ragnik, who is travelling to the newly found continent of Marekin. During the journey you are caught in a storm. The storm destroys your ship and kills almost everyone on board. The only survivors are You and your friend, Tharen. After swimming to nearby uncharted island, you are determined on not to fall after coming so far. As your struggle for survival begins, even more perilous dangers are already looming in the horizon.

3. The Base Idea
Well, as with the most RPG's, the point is to clear the whole content with only few (and most often one) character. My map is meant to be played for fun, so if you play it, do it for fun instead of trying to find things that you could complain from. And l sincerely hope you have as much fun as l had making this map. :p

4. Credits
I'd like to thank everyone in Thehelper.net and especially to Rao Dao Zao, creator of RPG games to Warcraft 3. His RPG 'This Wreckage' is what inspired me to try creating this map and was the carrying spirit through the whole process. l also borrowed his "Darkness-in-the-cavern" Day/night lightning thingy (Custom Script, this has to have a better name?)

Note! As l previously stated, l am not yet very skilled user of the World Editor. Some of the triggers propably leak so if you experience FPS lowering after longer period of game time, it's time to reset. :)

Changelog

- Fixed the glitch with Tharen dying not causing player to lose the game.
Also fixed a bug which caused player to be unable to equip new shields.

1.05:
- Some environment updates

1.1:
- Added two new shields and one new quest to the game.
- Fixed a bug which was causing players to be unable to complete main story if they went to furbolg's forest too early.
- Map now pings the area where quest is located for 7 seconds after accepting the quest.
- Another small glitch which was causing Larsine to have a permanent exclamation mark on his head.
- Murlocs and the lost Adventurer have now learned the art of self-defense and will fight you if you attack them.
- Fixed a typo with certain persons calling 'Echo Mines' as 'Echo Caves'
- And another typo with Ragnik's ultimate 'Lucky Coincide'. It is now properly called 'Lucky Coincidence'.
- Minor environmental updates
- Gigantic Smash ability now lasts less on Heroes. So no more stunlocking the last boss to death.
- Slowed main characters attack speed thus increasing the difficulty from faceroll to easy.
- Updated the last quest to clarify that you do NOT have to have sword of the Coldbringer equipped while fighting Dreanir.
- Potions no longer have cooldown.
- Ragnik has also learned to open his backpack mid-fight, so you can use the item in Backpack's inventory to heal Ragnik.
- Slightly buffed some mini-bosses damage.
- Buffed last boss to be more than brainless faceroll. Nublets beware!

Keywords:
Scorpion, tail, scorpion's, first, map, tabletti, rpg, survivor, fun, easy
Contents

Scorpion's Tail (Map)

Reviews
09:42, 7th Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Rejected
  1. Tabletti

Tabletti

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, they DO make the others kind of useless, but it's a very long chain quest that forces you to run around to every corner of map and is practically nothing more than ":cry: I can't finish the map"-option ^^

Think it this way; Not everyone is a really good player, and now with changes the last boss hits like a truck hitting you with a slightly smaller truck.
    So if you aren't good enough and just can't down the bosses, you can take the longer way to "outgear" him. Or do it like hardcore and Chain-chug your way to victory with the potions, which is a lot faster but also more difficult. :cool:

And by the way, l am almost done; Doing the last two quests that reward you with a shield and then creating two new characters for Lucky Coincidence (Yay for proper spelling!). Done in about an hour.

EDIT: Updated the map now, you can check the Changelog l created for changed / added stuff.

Still on the To-Do list:

- Rework Lucky Coincidence lvl 2
    - Lantern to Echo Mines
    - Swapping temporary darkness generated by Demon Within-proc to dark fog.
    - Loading screen! ^^

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  2. Gamecrafter_DK

Gamecrafter_DK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well. That got me some answers ^^ I won't test it until your to do list is finished, though. Also, that running around in every corner of the map seems to be your trademark XD it's kinda annoying, but what the hey, it's possibly more life-like. ^^

3. Tabletti

Tabletti

Resources:
    Resources:
    If anyone else got any suggestions, l'd be overjoyed to hear them. Remember, there are no bad suggestions, so just keep posting them. ^^

Edit: As l am reworking the Lucky Coincidence, now is your chance to present who do you want to 'visit' the Scorpion's Tail? ^^

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  4. Acron

Acron

Resources:
    Resources:
    I Can't say I can help but

You better get help from an experienced map maker so he can help you and give tips about triggering and etc.

P.S. I'm not saying I know how to I'm just a player.

5. Tabletti

Tabletti

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeh, l propably should. l know most of my triggers are really clunky, but I think I did pretty good job for a first map. ^^
    And it's fine, l know how annoying it is when people go "Do it better urself thn lol". Giving honest advice is really underrated nowadays. :/

Anyways, l am going to vacation for two weeks, so can't work on this for a while.

6. Gamecrafter_DK

Gamecrafter_DK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well... I'm an experienced mapper, and i'm helping him, aint i?

7. Tabletti

Tabletti

Resources:
    Resources:
    Indeed ^^ How'd I miss that :eekani:

But I think he meant more direct help, like in the "How to improve the trigger's way". But I find your help more valuable than that, after all, you can finish it without major problems even at the moment. And Improving the experience > optimizing triggers for a game that can practically be played with a toaster. :D

Leaving to airport in 30 minutes, see ya everyone!
    :grin:

8. Gamecrafter_DK

Gamecrafter_DK

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Yeah, well, i haven't looked into your triggers, but if people say they're messy, they probably are. I could fix it, and suggest some other ways, but yeah, i neither like it when other people get their hands in my creation.

9. radsun

radsun

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great map :thumbs_up:

I have finished it and found only one bug with qouest for blacksmith in elven town. When it's finished it still marked as unfinished.

10. Delpiroth

Delpiroth

Resources:
    Resources:
    Awesome map, I had fun playing it. 5/5 out of me. But i did notice a couple of things. Are the Sea Giants supposed to be hidden in the sand while they're in water? And is one of the helpers supposed to be a green cube throwing purple cubes?

11. Cweener

Cweener

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Mass Purging Template Version 4.0
    Needs Fix

Reason for not approving:
    Seems too bug ridden,

12. Dentothor

Dentothor

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    fail review is fail.

13. Xarwin

Xarwin

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  14. -Kobas-

-Kobas-

Resources:
    Icons:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
  15. Vengeancekael

Vengeancekael

Resources:
    Tools:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    StarCraft II Resources:
    Resources:
    That's not very constructive if I may say so.

16. Cweener

Cweener

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Uhmmmm.....Yeah, I didn't have time to make it constructive, sorry?

17. indomitable1319

indomitable1319

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is truly a beautiful game. Nice work on the terrain, awesome skills, great, REALLY GREAT items, and awesome difficulties at the start.

- Halfway through the game: "WhereTF was Tharen? I've been beat up worse than him, and I'm alright. What's taking him so long?"
    - WTF was that Marine? I didn't even get to control him, he died too fast.
    - Henrik!
    - Placeholder was a bit too... Odd.
    - Firebloom was awesome.
    - Very creative quests.
    I give this a 5/5 rating. It's one of the best maps I have played. Truly fulfilling storyline.

18. tulee

tulee

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This was a hidden gem in the substandard map section. I think the author had a lot of fun making this, and you can see this through the way the dialogue is crafted. It was a lot of fun. Perhaps one day it will be approved.

I was unable to reach the final boss, and am still not 100% sure how to get there, since the trees were never destroyed after I picked up the snow blade.