• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

RP Chat System

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hi,
Im currently trying to set up a chat system for a game where chat is diplayed through a game message rather than in the normal chat area.
I have looked through this forum and cannot find anything relating to this so i apologise if this has already been asked.
How would i be able to set up said system so that when a player types normally (regardless of being in All, Allies or Observers (eg. Hello everyone)), their entered chat string would display through game messages and not through the normal chat area.
Also how could i set it up so that if i enter a prefix before this (eg. -setname blabla) it would not be displayed in either area?

I know that i can set up the system where players must type in observers always using prefixes like in SotDRP but i have seen this other method in some games and it seems far more convenient.

Thx for your time, i hope someone can help. :)

Level 22
  • Lulwut
    • Events
      • Player - A player types a message, containing (Nothing) as a substring
    • Conditions
      • Entered substring (1-9 not equal to (-setname))
    • Actions
      • Game - Display entered chat message
Guess this would work.

But i got no idea, how to remove the 'chat'. I think it would allways appear tehre, unless you fix some constants.

Level 5
alright ive just about got it working. BUT. i cant find the trigger that clears chat messages. theres one that clears text messages but i dont want that cause it just clears the chat that im trying to set up. not sure if it actually is in GUI or if i have to stick in a custom script or sumtin. ill keep looking but i cant seem to find it. if anyone can find anything please tell. :)

Level 5
i am using that, and my systems working great now. but i still cant find a way to remove chat messages so only game messages are displayed
there is a game called High School LOAP. its quite different to normal loaps and has good RP chat system. i think it just keeps entering blanks into chat messages until the original message dissapears cause when u look in chat the messages are there but have huge gaps in between them. ill see if i can figure anything out and if anyone can find something please tell :)

Status
Not open for further replies.