• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

RotD (cry for help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hey can anyone help me?

I resently downloaded Return of the Dragon and i have been very impressed with it but then on the 3rd map (the one you get to choose your dragon) i did the WHOLE mission then I picked a dragon and it played a cimamatic of it zooming into the tunnel, then it when to the single player menu and i couldnt play the next mission. What happened?

and also the Goblin's 'Ahlcemy' ability screwed up does that have anything to do with it?

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Open every map and re-save them. They don't work because they belong to older patches. You will also notice that map 1, 2, and 4 work because the dragons don't appear there.
There is a variable on Acid Rain that no longer exists, so using Acid Rain will cause a crash.

Level 11
The problem had nothing to do with Ysera when I last played it. It's not enough to simply save the map. The problem is in the code. The map worked until patch... 1.12 I think, when "lightning" widget was added. Darky actually called a variable lightning (which now is a restricted keyword). Therefore, the code is invalid, and it causes crash.

-Daelin

Level 32
Pesky Bug

This problem has been going on for so long that it may have prevented far more players from completing the campaign than those who actually did.

I managed to make it all the way through a few years ago using a version of the .w3n that I had downloaded from Darky's site; unfortunately, I now posses only a version that I grabbed (I believe) from a German site in the late summer of 2006.

If one were to do a fresh install of RoC/TFT direct from genuine Blizzard Cds, (say on a spare computer) could the campaign then be completed successfully?

After briefly reviewing the files, I can not find any variable named "lightning." In several maps, however, there are two variables named:
  • LightningStrike Floating Text Array (1)
  • LightningStrikeEff Special Effect Array (1)

Would it be possible for a player to rename these GUI variables and play the campaign under TFTv1.20 without having to edit any of the Jass code?

Level 11
All codes are in JASS. You need to modify the name. I believe what you got from the site is a modified version, because I suppose it does not cause any crash if you play a "dragon map". I encountered this problem after playing the 5th map (as that's when I got the version upgrade) and I was simply stupefied to see that I had a crash. :p So I'm positive that the map was fixed.

~Daelin

Level 2
Nature's Call - Return of the Dragons

To my understanding this was once avalible on w3sear.ch but as all you know is no longer working. So I was wondering if someone would up load this campeign or somehow notify me a. where to get or b. send it to be.

Level 32
To the best of my knowledge Return of the Dragons may no longer be available. At certain times copies of it appear on the internet in various places. Due to patches released by Blizzard (I believe starting with 1.16 or thereabout) the campaign may not be playable by users running the most recent versions of Warcraft III.

The only way that The Hive Workshop will make this fine campaign available is if its original author submits it to our site.

[self="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=360"]benicio: please introduce yourself to the Hive![/self]

Last edited:
Level 32
I remembered where it was and have tracked it down.

The currently available version may be found here.

As mentioned, bugs abound, according to Daelin starting with Warcraft III version 1.12. Users running earlier versions may be able to successfully complete the campaign. The bug issues relating to the campaign should be discussed in that thread.

*edit*

~ Question answered, thread closed.

Last edited:
Level 11
The problem comes from Darky's coding, more specifically, Nozdramus' abilities. Some of them have local variables with the logical name "lightning". Unfortunately, in 1.12 or maybe earlier/later versions, the object type lightning was introduced by Blizzard. Therefore, the map crashes because the trigger is not disabled (even though you don't select Nozdramus, the bug still exists because the code exists in the map). Only maps 1,2,3 and 5 do not cause the bug, as they do not contain any dragon, and therefore, the spells triggers do not exist.

More explicit explanation of the bug: Since patch 1.12, "lightning" has becomed a reserved name, part of the syntax. Therefore, no variables may be initialised with this name (it is not the case of global variables as their name is udg_name => udg_lightning0).

To fix the bug, someone would have to enter the maps and modify this. I've done it in the past to be able to replay the campaign. I'll look into it. I still have the campaign on my harddisk. All I need to do now would be to fix the bugs and place the map on the server. ;)

-Daelin

Level 7
Natures call Return of the Dragons

I have no idea where on the forums I should ask this question so i decided to post it here. Anyone remember this campaign? well i just recently found it in my maps folder and remembed that on the map where you get to choose a egg for a dragon the game crashes. My questions is does anyone know how to fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.