• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Ripple terrain deformation crushes game fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello folks,

is there a way to use the ripple terrain deformation at a periodic time event of 0.25sec without causing massive fps drops? I have made it already super tiny and short but the 0.25sec interval seems to much even for my alien-pc. What can i do?

~El

Level 17
The FPS drops when using terrain deformation actually depends on the amount of doodads on your map. More doodads = more lag. You can significantly reduce this lag if you remove all doodads, although, obviously, this solution is hardly desirable.

Level 2
Thank you for the infos, its really too sad to hear that. But i have another idea to add the ripple effect, i will try that..

~El

Level 17
Doodads or destructables or both?

Not sure about destructables, but doodads definitely. Tested it about two years back, had maps of varying doodad count, like 500, 1000, 5000, 10000. More doodads always meant more lag when using terrain deforms, even if the deformations never touched the doodads.

I suspect every terrain deform tries to recalculate the new height for every doodad placed on the map, causing this behaviour.

Status
Not open for further replies.