• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Reforging WoW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey there.

Although me and my friends knew Hive for some years, we decided to register this account so that I can create this very thread and by that, gather some people for our project. Originally I was going to post a copypasta we have used on other sites but then I read the rules and figured how it would kinda violate some of them (namely linking private serves and asking for help about how to start up one) thus I had to scrap that idea and come up with another one. In the meantime I was lurking in the WoW subforum and found out how quite a few people here has expressed similar thoughts to ours about the game, which, even though shouldn't come as a surprise, still got us very excited. So let's get right into it.

In a nutshell, we want to mod the hell out of WoW for two reasons: firstly because the game has fallen so far away from the experience we loved it for that it completely lost the interest of its original fanbase; and secondly, because why stop at Vanilla when we can take a step further and make WoW even more challenging, more immersive, and more Warcrafty than it originally was? The first phase of our schedule includes reducing the number of levels to 10, balancing Vanilla classes and their talent trees, giving professions more relevance, introducing spell school skills and level up quests, giving the game a bit of a survival touch, scavanging through the pre-release versions of WoW for interesting and/or half-made things we want to see realized such as the Azshara Crater, Old Outland or just simply having dark nights. Depending on the quality & quantity of the people we'll manage to gather, the second phase will launch in the near or far future to include even more radical changes, like completely rebuilding and enlarging Azeroth (bringing back forgotten cities and landscapes from WC3), introducing Character Tiers (Peasant/Peon -> Footman/Grunt -> Knight/Raider etc.) and the ability to construct buildings which would trigger actual conflicts between different factions, thus making the experience more true to Warcraft's name.

As you can see this project is anything but modest, hence after all these years of planning we decided to begin online recruitment as this task is way too enormous for a handful of friends to take it all the way to completion. In my opinion, the online community has more than enough creative potential, but they lack cooperation. While planning we saw a lot of 'our' ideas popping up here and there once in a while, convincing us that the need is definitely out there in the original fanbase for reforging WoW, all we need to do now is to begin a conversation - so think of this as the 'Old school manifesto'. As per the rules, I won't advertise our server but rather aim to make this a more general discussion on the topic.
Nevertheless, if you are interested and skilled you are welcome to join us.

Level 11
I like the idea of "reforging" WoW. I myself have thousands of ideas for a WoW Reforged, and I would pay good money for Blizzard to remake WoW with a different direction. So, your project sounds interesting. However, it is illegal to mod WoW, or even to use anything Warcraft-copyrighted (such as characters names), as far as I know.

Level 2
I have no idea about the legal side of WoW modding, but I don't see a reason to worry about it either. Blizzard doesn't seem to care about what the old school fans want or do as long as it doesn't interfere with their business - and we have neither the intent nor the power to do so. We realized that we are a minority of the fanbase, so financially this would probably cost more for us than what we can gain from it but it doesn't matter because we are motivated by far stronger impulses, namely childhood fantasy and nostalgia. :D On the other hand, the internet is full with modder-made materials, and I'm pretty sure if we don't do it, nobody will.

Status
Not open for further replies.