• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Re-adding Level 3 Spells

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Hi guys,

I perused the forums for an answer to this question earlier, but the answer I came up with was a complicated use of the engineering upgrade, so I figure I would ask here if there was any easier solution.

Essentially, I am trying to find out how to re-add a spell that has been remove from a hero back to level 3. Via triggers, you can only re-add a spell to level one, no matter how many times you make it learn the spell. The reason I ask how to do this is I have a map where individual zones only allow the use of 1 spell for a hero, and so I need to keep removing the un-needed spells and want to re-add a spell to level 3. If this is not possible through simple means, it is fine, I will just accept I can only re-add a spell to level 1.

Thanks for your time~

Level 12
You could add tech tree requirements to the abilities that are meant to be disabled, so they can't be used. (Then you won't have to remove and re-add the spells in the first place, just create/remove unit that fulfill the techtree requirement)

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can re-add a spell that has been learned, you just need to first add it and then set the level.

Though the problem with not using engineering upgrade would be that when you level up they could use an ability point on an ability which is supposed to be removed to re-learn it to level 1, but then later on you're going to make it level 3 again, so they'd lose 1 (or more) ability points.

You could get around this by detecting every time the hero learns another one of the abilities, remove the learned ability, and give back an ability point.

And finally there's also some new natives with the new patches, which allow you to add and remove hero abilities for real. Though I haven't tried them since I'm still using an old patch for JNGP myself.

Level 23
you just need to first add it and then set the level.
I did not even consider using set level. Thanks!
Though the problem with not using engineering upgrade would be that when you level up they could use an ability point on an ability which is supposed to be removed to re-learn it to level 1, but then later on you're going to make it level 3 again, so they'd lose 1 (or more) ability points.
This went completely over my head. Do you mean they would actually lose ability points? In my scenario, the heroes already start at level 10, if that makes any difference.

Level 12
I did not even consider using set level. Thanks!

This went completely over my head. Do you mean they would actually lose ability points? In my scenario, the heroes already start at level 10, if that makes any difference.
If you remove the ability, and the hero has 1 or more ability points, you can still click on the "+" icon and level up the ability that was removed. So really what happens when you "remove" the hero ability is that you just unlearn all learned levels of the ability, but the hero ability is still there, it's just that it has 0 levels.

So a player could potentially waste ability points on leveling up the ability.

However, if level 10 is the max level, and all abilities are already learnt (no ability points for the player to spend) then this is a non-issue since you won't get any more ability points from level ups.

Wait sorry for double posting, I realized there is no trigger to set a spell level ha-ha.
  • Unit - Set level of Acid Bomb for (Triggering unit) to 1
I'm guessing you were looking under the "hero" category instead of "unit".

Status
Not open for further replies.