• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Crash] PTR World Editor won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello there!

I don't know, if this is how it's supposed to be or not, but I have moved to the Public Test Realm to play Classic Warcraft III, and I thought about creating some custom scenarios.

However, I can't seem to open the World Editor of the PTR edition. It always pops up, then immediately crashes with just a window for me to send an instant error report to Blizzard.

You can't use World Editor in PTR? Do I need to get something like a third-party application to edit maps in this version? Or is it just something wrong with my game?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Technically the PTR is not support anymore as it is an obsolete version.

Depending on the build, the x86-64 version of World Editor was known to be quite unstable due to large address awareness issues. As such using the x86 (32 bit) version was generally recommended.

Level 2
Try turning off your antivirus including Windows Defender. My WC3 editor doesn't work if Windows Defender is on. Windows Defender is very anti-gaming, so keep that in mind as step 1 for any gaming troubleshooting. Also Windows Defender turns back on automatically if you turn it off. So I have to turn it off 1-2 times a day.

Level 2
Strydhaizer's advice did fix it.

However, I don't know if it's even a good idea to use it considering Blizzard's modding policy... but thanks for all the advices! I will probably not be making any custom campaigns, not even on the PTR, as I can see that the EULA is the same. I won't give over my hard work and intellectual property to a greedy, back-stabbing company...

Status
Not open for further replies.