• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Pterodactyl Troll Model Request

Level 9
I come to ask for help in case someone who is an expert and could make it easy for me could make me a model based on a pterodactyl without a mount and another with a headhunter troll mount.

I leave you more or less what an image of a pterrodax with a troll mount would look like.

It will be very useful for my troll race map, please someone with a good heart
Pterrordax Mount Troll

Level 14

Level 14

So I'm finally have a go at this...

But there seems to be a weird artifact in the linked/original pterodax model.
Most of the planes or vertices.. I think they've been copied over themselves about 4 times.

If you use the plane select tool in RMS and select what appears to be a single triangle, then swap to vertex tool, if you try to create a new plane from the selection, it will say you have 12 vertexes selected. (note it shouldn't create a new plane anyway, as one exists already, but this is giving the game away.)

I noticed the file size became very bloated when I added the dino, but I didn't twig as to why that was. It looks to me like there is a ton of redundancy, so you have the equivalent of 4 dinos without getting any benefit.

More importantly it makes it way harder to add new geometry connected to the old dino stuff.

TL;DR-

If anyone sees this, is there a way to cull redundant geometry that is pasted exactly over itself?

Last edited:
Level 14
Btw, Blizzard's windrider model is a nightmare. The skeleton is constructed of helpers with mesh bones attached to each bone, and vertices are attached to the meshes. but the translations and movement is via the bones...

And none of them are labeled as anything useful it's just "mesh34" and "mesh19" ffs.

Level 14
pogdax.PNG

pogdax

Level 14
Hopefully this link works?

I always forget how small things will become in-game... you spend all this time fussing over some detail then in the actual game environment you can barely even see it.

Anyway, I think the dino and troll bodies could become a bit bigger, but leave the wings as they are, or slightly smaller. That would show off some details more.

Level 14
hmm well why does it work on my end then?

I'll see what I can do. Thanks for letting me know.

-EDIT-
The model's not opening. Not in the game and neither in model editors. There must be some problem with materials and textures.

I think it was actually a format problem.
I've updated the pastebin with a new model with older format, this one actually loaded into model checker (tho with many issues lol, it's not finished after all).

Last edited:
Level 12
It's great, amazing how you adapted pterrodax to wyvern. Although, since there is no portrait, perhaps you could use troll's face rig from Wind Rider and Derivatives to make portrait animations. What are geosets 10 and 11 supposed to be? (picture 1). I also extracted new textures for the bird with color variants because old ones were of low quality, comparison is on picture 2 (old/new).

Attachments

• 1011.png
    1011.png
    108 KB · Views: 9
  • textures.png
    textures.png
    586.8 KB · Views: 9
  • PterrordaxSkins.zip
    340.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Level 14
those other bits are leftovers from trying to make some armour.
I want to make a gold/bronze mask for both the bird and the troll.
maybe a breast plate on the bird, and chains holding it to the saddle. Or holding them both on the bird!
lastly maybe bronze claw attachments like in the reference pics.

I don't want to go overboard with the details and fluff, but zandalari stuff is a bit like that right?

Also, we could come up with a new different spell animation but it would probably depend on what sort of spells you were going to give it. e.g. do the spells come from the troll or the bird? Current one is implied to come from the bird's tail because of the scorpion stinger on wyverns.

Last edited: