• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Processor Warmer than Overclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 21
Processor: Intel C2D E6750 2.66GHz 1333FSB
Alright, my processor's running at its normal speed on an Asus P5B motherboard (1066FSB but it supports E6750 and "effortless 1333FSB") and it's temperature when doing nothing is 30C at the start up and after playing a game around 35C-40C. During a game it's around 45C and 47C-52C while playing Crysis.
Now, my friend has the same processor, but a different Motherboard and OCed his to 3.0GHz. It runs at 25C while playing a game.
Help?

I read a thread somewhere that the BIOS of this mobo sets the voltage too high, but I'm not sure how to change the voltage - please tell me if you think this is the problem.

Any ideas?

Level 15
Does your friend have the same CPU fan and heatsink? Your friend might just have a better cooling system.

That said, Core 2's generally don't need a big voltage bump, if any, to overclock a few hundred extra megahertz. As for how to change the overclocking settings, you should consult your motherboard's manual. I don't own a P5B unfortunately, so I am somewhat unfamiliar with the BIOS layout.

Level 15
The current Core 2 processors run at 1.25V by default. That's the normal stock voltage as far as I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.