• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Problem with Floating text (In my map)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Okay this is really weird! If I set any floating text in my map, It bugs! I don't know the reason, but here is for example on good floating text trigger which works perfectly fine, but on my map it doesn't!

It displays 1st floating text, but if i do fast deny on my creep, it will display half of the another floating text and it will dissapear faster!

• Exclamation Mark
  • Events
  • Unit - A unit Dies
  • Conditions
  • ((Dying unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of (Killing unit))) Equal to True
  • Actions
  • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (PlayerColours[(Player number of (Owner of (Killing unit)))] + (! + |R)) above (Dying unit) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
  • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
  • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 2.00 seconds
  • Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 1.50 seconds
  • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 64.00 towards 90.00 degrees

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Make sure you have got under 100 at a time. WC3 supports atmost 100, so it ends up recycling the last one and bugging up.

Also, I advise using locals and JASS for floating text, as it saves excess function calls and prevents collisions.

A screenshot may be nice to see whats wrong.

Level 12
Try put the velocity after "Create floating text"... You have to put it in order for it to work

Already tried that, the result is the same.

Make sure you have got under 100 at a time. WC3 supports atmost 100, so it ends up recycling the last one and bugging up.

Lol I don't have even 10!

Also, I advise using locals and JASS for floating text, as it saves excess function calls and prevents collisions.

Too bad I don't know JASS-ing!

A screenshot may be nice to see whats wrong.

Sure, why not?

EDIT: Dear God it bugs again..

Last edited:
Level 2
Try assigning the Last Created Floating Text to a variable and use it for the last 4 actions.

It's worth a try.

To me it sounds like the floating text is getting wrapped up in action commands when dealing with different targets.

Try this

• Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (PlayerColours[(Player number of (Owner of (Killing unit)))] + (! + |R)) above (Dying unit) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
  • Set PlayerKillsUnit = (Last created floating text)
  • Floating Text - Change PlayerKillsUnit: Disable permanence
  • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of PlayerKillsUnit to 2.00 seconds
  • Floating Text - Change the fading age of PlayerKillsUnit to 1.50 seconds
  • Floating Text - Set the velocity of PlayerKillsUnit to 64.00 towards 90.00 degrees

Level 15
Make sure you don't use a workstation card too. WC3 don't like workstation cards.

This is why my 9 year-old piece of junk runs things faster than my fathers labtop:

Mine: 933 mhz Pentium 3-EB Coppermine, 512 mb PC133 SDRAM, Radeon 9200
His: Core 2 Duo T7800 2600 MHz, Nvidia Quadro (forgot number, but it's low), 4 gb 800 mhz DDR2

And yet mine runs faster. GO PENTIUM 3!

Level 11
Have you even tried to put another text ? Like "TEST" to see if it bugs then...
2nd post was your answer maybe... try then reply

• Exclamation Mark
  • Events
  • Unit - A unit Dies
  • Conditions
  • ((Dying unit) belongs to an ally of (Owner of (Killing unit))) Equal to True
  • Actions
  • Floating Text - Create floating text that reads (TEST) above (Dying unit) with Z offset 0.00, using font size 10.00, color (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%), and 0.00% transparency
  • Floating Text - Change (Last created floating text): Disable permanence
  • Floating Text - Change the lifespan of (Last created floating text) to 2.00 seconds
  • Floating Text - Change the fading age of (Last created floating text) to 1.50 seconds
  • Floating Text - Set the velocity of (Last created floating text) to 64.00 towards 90.00 degrees
And how can it display half of text coz your text is only a simbol "!", what is half of ! Oo ?

Level 12
I tried almost everything, it bugs even if I put a long or short word with no color or with color, it's almost the same what I do, but I don't know what's going on with my map!

Perhaps this information can help:

I was using long time ago some nice floating text's in my map, all worked fine but then I removed them and added them again because I understanded that the map is far more better with them! I thought this can help or let you get easier throu' my question!

Level 8
How about removing the condition....maybe the condition is never met and thus the trigger never runs....

Also add the action to display a game message if the trigger runs to make sure it runs...

Finally make sure you didn't leave the trigger off or disabled...you never know

Level 11
The system you are using that adds unit to the "damage detection" and then removing all floating texts each time unit enters map and so, there are too many actions i think, and it gets bugged, system you are using is bugged somewhere, you see you ordinary trigger "when units stats effect-display floating text" works fine. Delete your whole damage detection system and start from beginning. Its working fine, but its bugged. Send map to someone who is very well with floating text+damage detection or recreate system.

Status
Not open for further replies.