• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Poll] What's the point of a contest?

Choose up to 3 options:

• Competitiveness 100%

• Competitiveness 90%

• Competitiveness 80%

• Competitiveness 70%

• Competitiveness 60%

• Competitiveness 50% - Fun 50%

• Fun 60%

• Fun 70%

• Fun 80%

• Fun 90%

• Fun 100%

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
@Freddyk , those are really interesting suggestions. We'll have to give those some thought.

However I don't want to be too hasty about making changes; we haven't even really had more than a dozen people vote yet.

@Ralle o_O See above?

@LordDz to allow us a more accurate range of expression. If you think all Contests should generally be more serious/competitive, you can put your three votes on that end; vice versa for "fun". If you are torn (maybe Contests should generally either be more competitive-focused or more fun-focused), you can indeed split up your vote as you described.

No one wins or loses in this, and your vote isn't wasted or negated by voting on opposite ends of the spectrum. As posted by Naze earlier, the results will be a sort of bar graphs, so every Vote counts.

Level 22
50 - 50; Practice improves the skill and you get some 'feel good brain juice' boost out of the activity. I don't get though why the fun aspect is needed in evaluating the entries but I'm no contest judge so whatever rolls on your armpit is fine by me.

Level 22
I see, so you guys are just trying to connect to the community through the 'feels' channel? Commendable.

Level 22
I meant you aren't sticking to a set of strict guidelines and is trying to connect the community with the process by engaging them through talks. I'm not trying to oppose what you guys are doing, just trying to participate.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I meant you aren't sticking to a set of strict guidelines and is trying to connect the community with the process by engaging them through talks. I'm not trying to oppose what you guys are doing, just trying to participate.
Don't worry; I didn't think you were trying to oppose. We're very grateful for your involvement. : )

I don't know about "not sticking to strict guidelines"; in a way, we're trying to determine if that's even what we (as a community) want to do, in general, in Contests going forward. Collaborating with the community about where the community wants to take itself just makes sense to me. ; )

Level 22
I meant it as not sticking to the traditional guidelines set by the previous hive. My understanding of the situation is that you (and the other people involved) are trying something new.

EDIT: I meant hive moderators

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I meant it as not sticking to the traditional guidelines set by the previous hive. My understanding of the situation is that you (and the other people involved) are trying something new.

EDIT: I meant hive moderators
Ah.

Well, sort of. More like we're trying to live the examined life with our Contests; asking a Question whose Answer fundamentally determines the direction the Hive Contests should go. We may find out there's no need to change Contests at all (though I doubt it)!

What is much more likely to happen, in my opinion, is the realization that each & every Contest should have it's own specific & unique focus.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
has anyone ever been happy about the contest

winners and losers

who really benefits
Plenty of people. I've even been happy about Contests that I lost. Part of it is perspective, but another part is managing expectations.

Winning & losing is a part of life. I would argue you learn more (i.e. benefit) from your failures than you do from your successes.

tryharder.gif

Level 22
I dunno about you Lord, but I remember being pumped up about contests, never got to enter one though because I always got distracted with scripting random things.

Level 28
I see, so you guys are just trying to connect to the community through the 'feels' channel? Commendable.
No hahahahaa. This is a summary of what happened:

1. In 2017 the staff realized this: if teamwork isn't allowed, detailed feedback (or reviewing) should not be allowed too. Reason is that this goes against the competitive environment of a contest;
2. Thus the teamwork rule was updated, making both teamwork and detailed feedback (reviewing) not allowed;
3. April 2018: there were some complaints and we discussed the pros and cons of this new rule in other threads;
4. Discussions were roughly divided in two groups: people who like contests because of the competitive aspect (in favour of the new rule), and people who like contests for the fun aspect of them (against the new rule);
5. We made this poll to better understand how our userbase feels about this dichotomy (competitiveness x fun);
6. Conclusion: the majority of our userbase enjoys contests for both aspects, while people who think contests should prioritize solely fun/solely competitiveness are a minority.

With all this in consideration, the rule is now like this:
  • Teamwork is not allowed (physically working on someone else's entry).
    • Giving feedback isn't considered teamwork and is always welcome. However if you feel someone is abusing it, you may appeal to the appointed moderator.
I don't feel like there's much of a change going on. Actually you can say we kinda stepped back from a change =P

Status
Not open for further replies.