1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Rubbed the right way, the genie is out of its lamp! The 12th Concept Art Contest Results have been announced.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Please Help ! Out of the Blue Map DESYNCS ?!

Discussion in 'World Editor Help Zone' started by marvey323, Feb 19, 2014.

1. marvey323

marvey323

Resources:
    Resources:
    up until yesterday everything was running fine suddenly there are player desyncs the past 5 games I have been hosting with my map.

- I have not declared any getLocal() functions which I know may cause desyncs

I dont know what can be the problem ? seriously it's at the point where it seems hopeless because the map content is so much (models, triggers) that its impossible to pinpoint the problem and I feel like this is the end of mapmaking for me.

2. DysfunctionaI

DysfunctionaI

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Firstly, models won't cause a desync. You're just going to be looking at triggers.

Did you use any GetLocalPlayer() calls at all? I'm just asking because you said "which I know may cause desyncs ".

There's also a bunch of BJ's that use GetLocalPlayer(), and a few that should never be used, like a camera one or somethin. I can't remember the important ones, maybe someone else will post them.

Last thing I can say is, if you have multiple replays of people with a desync, you could save yourself a LOT of time by finding patterns in when they desync. Also, if you have a replay of YOU desync'ing, you could use something like Dota Replay Manager to check your very last actions before the desync happened. It should be within the same second at the desync.

3. marvey323

marvey323

Resources:
    Resources:
    Wc3 doesnt auto-save games you play right? I have to initiate a replay save? This issue is killling me ! it happens within 5 min of playing sometimes, and other times it wont happen until after 30 minutes or more.

4. DysfunctionaI

DysfunctionaI

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    From the main menu:

Options -> Gameplay -> Automatically Save Replays

You'll also get help faster if you post up your map so people can look at the triggers.

5. marvey323

marvey323

Resources:
    Resources:
    I doubt anyone wants to look at my map which has over 100 triggers right now... there is literally no GetLocalPlayer() being called, or the other desync-prone function which I forgot the name of at this moment..

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  6. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    If they desynchronize at start, chances are they have played a session of a different map that was wigitized before the current session. As wigitizer damages object editor data until WC3 is restarted it causes them to desynchronize as objects on their client interact differently.

7. marvey323

marvey323

Resources:
    Resources:
    its never at the very start, its always within a few minutes into the game.. and I have noticed that it is happening if many spells are cast?

8. marvey323

marvey323

Resources:
    Resources:
  9. DysfunctionaI

DysfunctionaI

Resources:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Still need the map. How are we supposed to find the desync without it? It sounds like your triggered spells are a good place to start looking.

10. Daffa

Daffa

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Do you by any chance use
    • Camera - Pan Camera As Necessary
    or
    SmartCameraPanBJ
    ?

11. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Desynchronizations are often caused by anything that generates terrain deformations. Even standard WC3 abilities of Shockwave and War Stomp will cause a split between Windows and Mac clients or even clients with different in-game visual settings. Especially if any system used GetLocationZ since those values will be highly dependant on the deformation results (which are not deterministic in the cases mentioned above). Trigger generated deformations are by far the worse cause of this sort of desynchronization, although default abilities are not to be under-estimated.

GetLocationZ will also cause a desynchronization if performed on a walkable animated destructible and used to do something that alters game state. This is because the animation of the destructible is not deterministic and will produce different height measurements between clients depending on what they are viewing.