• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Parrot (multiple varieties)

What do you get when you cross a chicken with a harpy?

A cockatoo apparently!

There's 6 different parrot variations to choose from, with 2 sub-varieties:
The model includes a basic portrait w/ talk and 3 new attack animations.
If you give the unit a second attack in World Editor, the model will use the two air-to-ground melee attack animations. I added them mainly for myself but other people might like to use them :)
The intended Damage Point for all attacks is 0.500

Although I didn't create the entire model from scratch, I gave myself the goal of creating something new without using Custom textures.

The mesh is generic enough that other people can come up with their own wraps or custom skins; anyone's free to make their own or link them here to be added as additional varieties.
  • Also considered adding gargoyle style transformations where the parrot lands, and eats a cracker to regenerate health. But it seems like too much effort when probably no one will use it lol.
4/4/24
-Added Cockatiel Lutino variety

16/12/23
-The legs on all models have been updated to bend backward instead of forward. All animations were updated to accommodate this.
-Moved portrait camera closer
-Added Kea Variety

6/12/23
-Added Scarlet Macaw w/ Pirate Hat variety

4/11/23
-Fixed the portrait for all available parrots
-Added Norwegian Blue variety

26/10/23
- Added Scarlet Macaw variety
- Changed death sound to Assassin #Darkfang
- Added Team Colour Cockatoo (it's a bit rubbish)
Contents

Blue and Yellow Macaw (Model)

Cockatiel Lutino (White) (Model)

Cockatoo (Model)

Kea - includes team colour (Model)

Norwegian Blue (Model)

Scarlet Macaw (Model)

Scarlet Macaw w/ Pirate Hat (Model)

Team Colour Cockatoo (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
There some smaller issues with most models. Some geosets do not properly disappear at the end of the death animation as they should. Please tend to that.
ILH
ILH
Cute set of exotic birds. Interesting use of "AssassinDeath" for the death sound. Changes made. Works in-game. Approved!
Level 14
I would prefer white (lutino) version, but you can do as you see right.

Cute set of exotic birds. Interesting use of "AssassinDeath" for the death sound.
Changes made. Works in-game. Approved!

How do people feel about me just mapping to a literal photo of a cockatiel? Creating one from existing assets is kinda painful.
That said I haven't put much effort into it yet given IRL and new computer taking a week to get working -_-

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
What a fantastic little set of guys; not only just plain ol' useful (how have we not had a Parrot model till now?) but I'm really impressed what you've managed to do with in-game textures. So colorful! Such variety!

I believe you're mistaken, it's resting.
Aaaand there we go, that takes this over the top. 5 stars excellent work my friend. xD

Level 14
I was a dick and never got around to doing this, but now I'm back from the land of Baldur's Gate I'm gonna try working on this over the next week. Or at least Soon(tm). Sorry about that :sad:

I'm working on it...
wipgaruda.PNG

EDIT 1
Getting there:

wip2garuda.PNG

EDIT 2
Bird's done, but needs a few touch ups for shadows and clipping. Probably upload tomorrow

Last edited: