• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[JASS] Need help with hashtable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hi guys, I wonder how hashtable access its data, please see the following example:
JASS:
function example takes nothing returns nothing
	call SaveReal(hash,98765432,0,1)
	call LoadReal(hash,98765432,0)
endfunction

//Compare to the following parent key

call SaveReal(hash,1,0,1)
	call LoadReal(hash,1,0)
endfunction

//The acessing speed is different and my questions are:
//1. how big of a difference does it make?
//2. in the first example, does the parent key value got accessed immediately? or is it added up from 0 to 98765432? I hope this makes sense. :D
//   I mean how does hashtable access its keys?
//3. how about using hex number as parent key? Is it faster in that way? (I don't think so but not sure)

Edit:
I know that with more data stored in one hashtable, the accessing speed decreases. So do the two examples have the same reduction in terms of accessing speed?

How about creating a unit inside of a hashtable? Is it inefficient? If so, why?
JASS:
	call SaveUnitHandle(hash,0,0,CreateUnit(.....))
endfunction

Level 12
1)You will never notice the difference.
2)Immediately.
3)Hard question, someone with better knowlodge about w3 hashtables need to answer this one.

Level 14
//3. how about using hex number as parent key? Is it faster in that way? (I don't think so but not sure)
Short answer: no. The internal integer representation is always the same.

Because accessing/storing on arrays don't require function calls.
Correct, but im pretty sure that this is not the reason why hashtables are slower than arrays. Hashtables do a bit more than just storing data at a predefined place, which is the reason why you have so huge keys and still only use small amount of memory (sparse).

Level 12
Your last edited question answer is also no, there is no difference, in terms of efficiency it is even better to do this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.