1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Nan0 Factory

Discussion in 'Terrain & Level Design' started by Nan0, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Nan0

Nan0

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hello everyone! =))

I want to show you some my latest works))
    All works are from my new project "Irony of Truth"
    I used UTM, so thx for all autors of models, which used in UTM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Nudl9

Nudl9

Resources:
    Icons:
    Skins:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Too chaotic and different styles colliding...

3. Nan0

Nan0

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nudl9 nature chaotic too, and I am just try to repeat her =)

4. 2-P

2-P

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Brilliant excuse for a bad terrain. Rock on.

5. Belgarath

Belgarath

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Looks like someone found the doodad box and spilled it badly

6. Keiji

Keiji

Terrain Moderator

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    If this is meant for a playable terrain then I wouldn't say it looks THAT bad >.>

7. Nan0

Nan0

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yes this is playable terrain, I can show in-game screenshots

8. Arcany

Arcany

Resources:
    Resources:
    Realism doesn't equal art. Terraining isn't about mimicking nature, it's about producing a good looking world which will impress the players of your project.

I somehow like the screens though, but there is alot to polish up.

9. Nan0

Nan0

Resources:
    Resources:
    I need some conkretic, to try ro remove the mistakes =)

10. redscores

redscores

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Resources:
    You need some better english... and a better taste for art, this is just a bunch of doodads with fog and a sky..

11. Hugget Sukker

Hugget Sukker

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Nan0 hopefully you can read english better.

The thing with realism is: You can't obtain it unless you take a photo of reality, so don't try to copy reality in polygonal models! It will be mish mash!
    And since the only 3d graphics are either polygonal, or made of voxels (which requires unbelievable expenses to get an engine for that is only available within a certain few occupational fields), you will have to not try and copy reality. First, you need to look at the things you are making and judge them for yourself, not thinking about Nudl9's terrain.

Now, you must never be satisfied. What you make is never good enough for you. Next time is always better.

Next, you should try to see a scene in your mind before you place any doodads. Don't see it detail by detail. Don't think about where the doodads should be just yet, or which doodads to use. Simply picture something vaguely, from reality, or from your imagination. A nice setting. In this case, some awesome nature.

Now, try and draw the outline of your picture on the terrain with a tileset, as if seen from above with a bird's eyes. Fine, then you know where your treelines should be, where water should be, cliff/rock formations, etc.

Then start placing the stuff. I recommend starting with the things you feel are most challenging, or will be repeated the most, this warms you up, and the easy things will look better later on, than if you didn't take a challenge to warm up.

Don't place a doodad because it's a pretty doodad, it's not a model parade, place it because it goes well with the terrain below it and the other doodads nearby. Place it because you think that's the spot where it MUST be placed.

Frequently remove doodads you have placed. All the objects that look excessive or out of place; delete 'em. Leave only the details that your eye likes the most. Kill the unters, praise the ubers. Omg that was a bad phrase.

12. Nan0

Nan0

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hugget Sukker, thx, I'll try to make terrain better)