• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

My Volcano Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
These are screenies form a vlocano I made a while back. C&C

f_WC3ScrnShotm_3036bb3.jpg

f_WC3ScrnShotm_a2d2ff7.jpg

f_WC3ScrnShotm_8b9c768.jpg

These are my first serious attempts to make a terrain, so yeah, C&C please.
:infl_thumbs_up: Yes, on some I forgot to set my view to game view, and my sky is messed up on the third one. Fire is fun.

Level 25
Isn't too bad, but it certainly isn't too great either.
GOOD:
Lava seems to spread out realisticly, for a first time terrainer, I'm suprised you actually added red fog! better yet... any fog at all! :p
BAD:
Tile varation is bad. No grass what so ever; although the island is in the process of a volcanic eruption, there would still be grass. Basicly you added only 2 tiles and making lava really isn't that hard, but I'll give you credit... Volcano is extremely small to erupt that much or at all! To fix this, reduce the collision of the trees to 0.05 and place the trees all around, make small forests and pretty much reduce the size of everything except volcano related to make the volcano pop out more and look bigger and more devastating. I can see you understand that environmental doodads are a plus in most terrains, but you've added far too many in such a small island. Too many shells and little things like that. The camera angles from which you took the shots are bad though. A bird's-eye-view shot isn't required, but it shows off what you were working with. But you need to learn how to get good close-up shots and more exciting shots. Maybe a shot of a little tribal hut or even of a forest overlooking the ocean. Something spicey! :p The sky wasn't the best either, didn't blend with the fog at all what so ever.
Overall: 3/10 :( sorry. But it's alot better than many other terrains I've seen.

Level 12
Actually I really like your comments. They tell me what I need to work on. I kninda went crazy with the shells, there is ton. Whas using the Northrend trees better than having them still have leaves but be on fire? I guess trees in the middle of lava isn't realistic, but yeah. Matbe a shot from behind my little Firelord?

Level 8
The northrend trees are nice, but the trees would be more skeletony the closer they are to the area of eruption, you have a lot of northrend trees in areas that would have just been touched by the lava, which doesnt make complete sense :)
(I worded that in a wierd way, sorry if its confusing)

There are also a lot of custom tree models you can download to give it more of an island-ish feel, such as palm trees and the like. There are also a lot of dead leafless tree models that can be downloaded to replace the northrend trees.

I also agree on the use of smaller doodads to make it look like the area has jungles and not just an assortment of trees. You can look at Karzvitch's island for a good way to do this: http://123pichosting.com/viewer.php?id=8678Island.jpg

This is just something i thought of that you could try, is add a small (really small, but still present) terrain elevation around the lava tiles. This might make them appear more like theyre spreading over the ground than being the ground. (This may not work, it is just something i thought of)

Dont forget to use Ctrl+Page Up and Ctrl+Page Down to get rid of those floating objects (adjusts the the flying hieght of the doodad, not the size).

You can use spell models as well to enhance the terrain. Dont hesitate to look through spells, buffs etc to find a good doodad model to work with.

Also, the fire seems a big too large and overtaking in the picture. Im not sure if thats how it is in a real volcano but i dont think the fire spawns out of nowhere and reachs 5 feet high :). I think it usually burns it up really fast and really quick and moves on, so the fireswould be smaller in height.

Overall, great start :thumbs_up:

Level 7
When you are taking the far away screeny, don't use the scroll, manually go far away or it will make that black box in middle of sky.

Also you should make water color a light red tint to give it a fiery fealing (Unless you went for realism)

Last but deffinately not least, when posting images click on "Go Advanced" and upload them from your comp.

Last edited:
Level 8
When you are taking the far away screeny, don't use the scroll, manually go far away or it will make that black box in middle of sky.

Also you should make water color a light red tint to give it a fiery fealing (Unless you went for realism)

Last but deffinately not least, when posting images click on "Go Advanced" and upload them from your comp.

For scrolling, hold control and scroll with the mouse wheel to move the black box back.

Status
Not open for further replies.