• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My 1st terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hello. This is my first terrain made in World Edit.Some feedback if u will, criticism etc.

Credits to takakenji for the Barrens Tree model.

Attachments

• Terrain1.jpg
    Terrain1.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 267
Level 6
ok i've added more doodads..idk what to do about the water..well you barely see it..maybe some suggestions about water..
Thanks

Attachments

• Terrain2.jpg
    Terrain2.jpg
    373.7 KB · Views: 195

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
First one was way better. Try using a teal-ish fog to the first pic to match the sky. And never use the warcraft cliffs. Instead use terrain height and cover it up with rock doodads or something. And yeah the water is still looking quite dull. Try working with the waterplane model in UTM. Did something slip my mind?.. Yeah, watch out for the "end of the world" effect. You can see the end of the editor's bounds. Cover that up.

Level 6
Thanks for the advices...Maybe it is better now

Attachments

• Terrain3.jpg
    Terrain3.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 117
Level 9
hmm =/. In my opinion I think the terrains are all a bit random. The first one, the trees don't really have a.....unified placement I guess? And ya I know, but trees aren't planted to grow like that, well they just seem out of place to me. That and its the same tree over and over again, same size. You could use some variation there.

The terrain itself looks alright, but the doodads just don't seem to have that great of a placement. I don't think I've ever seen a cactus growing out of a hill like that, they tend to stay on flatter ground, not steeper inclines.

A tip for the water and the ship, use deep water, not shallow, because seeing the ground underneath the ship, and the very faint water, makes it look really unrealistic.

The others have mainly the same problem, cluttered and random.

I'd advice you to check out some of the really good terrains on here, just to see how exactly the doodads are placed, the terrain is laid out, and the small little things that they do to add atmosphere to it. I'm not trying to discourage you from doing terrains, I'm just trying to let you know what it is needs work, otherwise you'll never get out of doing it, and you'll start to feel that it looks fine.

Good luck with future terrains.

Level 6
I think this is the final wip of it

Attachments

• FinalWIP.jpg
    FinalWIP.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 120
  • TopView.jpg
    TopView.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 107
Level 9
Alright I do think its quite a bit better, but still could use some work. Just the fact that you actually tried to better it proves that you'll be able to get better.

Aside from placement, which you'll get better at as you do it more, you could take your trees and lower them a bit. By lowering them into the ground a bit they will look a bit more solid and not like their floating slightly.

Other wise good job, keep working at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.