• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

MPQ Importing/File Size Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I'm using WinMPQ, I've tried a few other MPQ applications but they seem to have the same problem.

I'll import a file, say something simple for this example like war3mapMisc.txt (ROC requires you to import it). I'll update the file and then import it again and I notice on the file size it appears as if it never actually deleted the old file within the MPQ archive. The old file isn't visible or accessable from what I can tell, but the file size indicates that it wasn't really deleted.

Eventually the MPQ can get quite large, especially when you do this on larger files such as models. Is there any way around this, an option of some kind to select, or an application that handles this issue? Is it just me? Right now I just keep a base version of the map, and each new version I want to test out I have to copy the base to another folder and then import everything in bulk. After awhile it gets very tiring to do this over and over, so I'm just looking for an alternative.

Edit: To expand a bit on this, say the map file starts off at 32KB, and I import a 52KB file. The total file size is now 84KB. Now I import a second file thats 35KB in size, but is the same exact name as the first file I imported. Instead of overwriting the first file I imported, it just makes the first file disappear from the index and adds the second on top, making it so that the map size is now 109KB instead of 67KB (map's initial size + the size of the new file).

Status
Not open for further replies.