• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Move unit group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hi,

I have a group of units randomly standing around in a small area. i want to move them forward, keeping the starting formation they have, but it does not work.
I ordered every unit to move to their position with a certain offset. every unit has the same walking angle so they shouldnt cross or get stuck (they all have the same movementspeed and they start with the same facing angle)

what happens is that they select a close path next to them (dont know how to explain). they are all walking divided in 2 lines

is this a general problem or did i do a mistake?

Attachments

• pic1.PNG
    pic1.PNG
    558.8 KB · Views: 114
  • pic2.PNG
    pic2.PNG
    718.8 KB · Views: 161
Level 7
Are you using:

Get every unit in group{
- set temp_Loc [0] = position of picked unit
-Set temp_Loc [1] = Temp_Loc[0] offset by X towards Y angle
Order picked unit to move to tem_Loc[1]
Remove leaks
}

Level 17
Post the trigger.
Are you using:

Get every unit in group{
- set temp_Loc [0] = position of picked unit
-Set temp_Loc [1] = Temp_Loc[0] offset by X towards Y angle
Order picked unit to move to tem_Loc[1]
Remove leaks
}
exactly this

You must disable their collision or give them all the Ghost (Visible) ability so they don't try to walk around each other.
they dont have a collision size in the screenshot

Level 7
Just post the trigger as sometimes a tiny difference can make a huge change. I know I've missed some silly things before in the past and maybe a fresh pair of eyes can spot it for you.

I haven't actually tested it but in theory it should work fine. I don't think the units formation should come into play since you are ordering each unit individually.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
This is to be expected. This is how WC3 units move. Only 1 unit starts moving at a time (I think it is 1 movement calculation per player per frame). They also use common movement nodes so they do not take the most perfect path but instead the most easily computed. They gather together because they go to nearby movement nodes and follow those. Look at some TDs and you can actually see units move up and down slightly along paths.

There is no fix.

Level 17
This is to be expected. This is how WC3 units move. Only 1 unit starts moving at a time (I think it is 1 movement calculation per player per frame). They also use common movement nodes so they do not take the most perfect path but instead the most easily computed. They gather together because they go to nearby movement nodes and follow those. Look at some TDs and you can actually see units move up and down slightly along paths.

There is no fix.

mh okay, thanks.

so i have to do it with knockback movement.
thanks for your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.