• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Most efficient way for per player dialogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Well I'm wondering what is the most efficient way of making different dialogs for each players. Like a hero dependent skill tree for exemple.

Would I be better to create one dialog for each players at the start of the game?

Level 6
In my opinion, you should make a dialog and then attach button dialog items to it. There should be triggers which triggers when the button dialog items are clicked. In the trigger there should be a if then-else action which does various things depending on the triggering player. If for example the button should be removed from the screen for one player, then just simple hide the button dialog item from the player. Is this the answer to your question?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Apparently there is a limit to dialog elements. Only a certain number can exist at any given time and as they exist for all players this might make it impossible to have separate dialogs for everything. In this case the efficient approach would be to make elements into a pool rather than static use. Each player allocates a certain button for a certain use rather than using a button allocated for a use for all players. The only disadvantage with this approach is you need to keep track of allocations and uses for each player yourself (using your own script).

Level 6
I know that Screen Dialog Buttons have a limit (50). I'm not sure about the limit of dialog item buttons though.

In the map that I'm currently making, I have over 50 dialog item buttons.

Level 3
Based on what you guys wrote, I guess the most efficient way is to keep track of dialog buttons and dynamically change images and functions depending on the player's usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.