• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Minotaur's Labyrinth v1.6

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.
----------Shadow Fury Presents----------

Minotaur’s Labyrinth
Created by Shadow Fury

Map Info:

The Minotaur's Labyrinth offers an exciting horror experience to live out either alone or with your friends. The game is based on the greek mythology where you will fight the beast called *The Minotaur* in his large maze. Dare to venture in the obscure creepy atmosphere of the monotone maze in the role of a hapless villager and be careful not to get caught by the Minotaur! If he spots you, you must try to outrun him unless you want to become one of the many hundred corpses. To escape from the labyrinth, you shall not search for the exit, there isn't one! You must find an item called *Despair* and give it to a person called *The Cultist*. This is a pretty difficult quest so there's an alternative; kill the Minotaur! There are several items and weapons all around the maze to help you accomplish this task. Teamwork and cooperation are very important since the Minotaur is very strong. Only a group of heavily armed villagers may hope to slay him.

Features:

A thrilling, frightening and challenging gameplay experience which promises to give you intense fear
A dark terrifying monotone ambient to let you get lost easily while running around desperately
Real life resemblance. As you pick items, you'll see them worn on your own villager. Cool right? But what makes the game more realistic is that you can only pick one weapon per category, something not present in most Warcraft maps. For example, you cannot pick a sword and an axe or two shields. This means that you have to choose wisely the items you keep and throw away. One final real-life-like feature is the lighting system. If you manage to find a torch, the atmosphere will be less dark for you and for all the players around you
A lot of items, including books, logs and diaries to give you information or help you with your quests, and weapons to fend off or even kill the Minotaur
A secret chamber which can only be entered by finding a bloody key somewhere in the maze to unlock the gate closing it. It keeps something unknown to humanity from centuries because nobody ever managed to find it, will you discover it?
Up to 10 players can play the map. This can be played single player or multiplayer with a full house, at your preference!
Smart AI for both the villagers and the Minotaur, meaning that you can still play with other 9 computerized villagers in single player
A lot of characters to meet who will help you to kill the Minotaur or even escape. Some people, however, will only accept to help you if you give them something back or accomplish a task for them.
Areas of thicker fog. Keep away from such regions because they slow you down, providing a precious advantage to the Minotaur for slaying you
Various game modes which are the following:

• Beginners Mode
    This is the mode for first-time players and novices. If you want to practice, this is the right mode for you. More items spawn, the Minotaur will take more time to be released and will move slower. Trust me, this mode is really straightforward

• Normal Mode
    This is the common mode whose gameplay has been described above
  • Hardcore Minotaur
    Same as normal mode with just some little exceptions... no Despairs, no Cultist, just you and the Minotaur. Your only task will be killing him so good luck! He even starts with more HP than normal! At least more items spawn
  • Insane
    Normal mode became too easy for you? Try Insane then! It's a harder version of normal mode where there are less items, the multiboard and secret are disabled, the cultist's location doesn't ping periodically when you pick Despair and the Minotaur is harder to kill. Don't go for this mode if you're not pro!
  • Nightmare
    Do NOT choose this mode if you are not experienced. If Insane has become a piece of cake, then Nightmare is the right mode for you. When you play it, you will understand why it's called "Nightmare"

Some helpful tips:

Scour for a torch! It's so dark in the labyrinth that you can scarcely see what's in front of you. However, if you find a torch, it'll be a big relief, trust me.
If you pick the item Despair, be ready to run! By picking it you'll drive the Minotaur mad, giving him maximum movement speed for 10 seconds and revealing your location constantly for that duration. If you manage to survive that or the Minotaur is just too far from you, don't hesitate to search for the Cultist then!
Didn't find Despair? Then don't *despair* too much. If one of your mates found it, keep looking for him instead. When a villager gives the Cultist a Despair, he's not the only one to leave the labyrinth; his followers are also allowed to escape so don’t miss the opportunity.
Cooperate! Find the AI buddies and they will follow you. If you keep walking on your own, death will await you very soon. If you are playing in multiplayer, it's even better. Gather into one place and let everyone of you have a specific role. Due to the range of weapons present, you can create different combos, each with different purposes. For example, Angelic Spear + Orb of Light = High HP regeneration so if you get a good deal of armor, you'll be the tank of the team. Another example is getting the Thorium Hammer + Energy Elixirs which will make you the stunner of the situation. A final example is getting a Torch because this will allow you and all players around you to have a better vision of the maze. Distribute the roles evenly, don't just go for the stronger items (for instance Torch is the weakest weapon but if you don’t have one you and your mates will enjoy the darkness).
Did you die too soon? There’s no need to hate yourself for that, you’ll be granted a second chance. You will become a ghost and your new task will be finding the black phantasm of Glandar. It’s unoffensive, don’t worry, but if we really need to talk about dangerous stuff, then be aware of the Soul Devourer. It is going to track your little ghost, make your task harder and try to vanquish you. It moves at a high speed so you have to find Glandar’s ghost quickly. Once you find it, kill it and you’ll revive.

Screenshots:

An image of the entire labyrinth:

233766-albums6886-picture100201.png

An area of various archways and the perilous crippling fog:

233766-albums6886-picture100202.png

Some mysterious demonic footprints:

233766-albums6886-picture100203.png

Various corpses, skulls and blood plus two deadly regions of crippling fog completely covered with archways:

233766-albums6886-picture100204.png

The secret chamber from outside (not showing the inside of course, it's your task discovering it):

233766-albums6886-picture100205.png

There are no screenshots of face-to-face encounters with the Minotaur because I don't want to ruin the surprise! Some of the screenshots are also outdated.

Damn! I'm in the crippling fog:

233766-albums6886-picture100206.png

Playing a game with my computerized buddies:

233766-albums6886-picture100207.png

Oh look, I found the entrance to the secret chamber. I just need the damn key:

233766-albums6886-picture100208.png

Poor Villager 10, he was so young and naive. May Villager 8 escape from the Minotaur at least:

233766-albums6886-picture100209.png

Change Log:

Map uploaded

Removed Minotaur's gameplay
Different camera perspective which will hopefully prevent view obstructions and allow better movement in the maze
Decreased collision size of Mindless Wanderers and of the various characters in the labyrinth
Decreased damage of all traps
Added resistant skin to iron helmet and metal helmet
Fixed some bugs with the AI and the ghost's camera
Increased the Minotaur's maximum mana to 250
Changes the villager's name from *Villager* to *Lost Villager*

Decreased darkness of maze
Removed the + sign from the name of the map
Removed auto-attacking of villagers

Added new items (more to come) like Angelic Spear and Metallic Armor and a legendary item called Dragon Blade
Revamped the old items. Now you are only able to pick one weapon, one shield, one armor and one helmet so each individual item shall give you some benefit by itself
Increased Minotaur’s Hurl Boulder stun duration from 1.5 seconds to 2
Added new skills to the Minotaur which are Minotaur’s Frenzy (every 15% HP missing increases attack speed and lifesteal) and Roar of Terror (decreases armor and attack damage while also dealing damage) but removed Cannibalize
Hopefully reduced the lag and ultimately removed all possible leaks
Torch now provides vision to all nearby allies so if you got one torch others simply need to stay close to you and not get torches for themselves
Both the Minotaur’s AI and villagers’ AI have been made smarter, especially the one of the villagers because they need to take human-like decisions such as dropping a weak item for a stronger one without bugs. The AI villagers are also cooperative now. They will follow you but they’ll also take the items they find convenient. However, if the Minotaur appears, the villagers will either fight or forsake you to him (in that case you’ll firstly have to escape then re-find the villagers, granted that you all survive)
Increased Minotaur’s HP by a lot so you really need to cooperate to win (I tested the game 1000 times with the AI and I’m sure it’s balanced)
The strongest items no more spawn in front of you. They spawn at a long range from all villagers so you'll really need to scour for them
Added the skill "Scream" to the villager. It allows other nearby villager to spot your location but take care, it also permits the Minotaur as well to know where you are if he's close enough!
Bows & Arrows bugs when picking it have been ultimately fixed
Increased the height of all archways as to avoid camera obstruction
Villagers spawn at great distances from one another, meaning that it's impossible for two villagers to spawn in the same region or find themselves very near to each other
Fixed some awkward bugs and a rare bug which was spawning on a cliff and getting stuck
Other little updates which I may have forgotten but the ones listed above are the most important ones

Fixed two critical bugs. The camera would malfunction if a villager dies and you're not playing with Player 1 (Red). If you managed to play this multiplayer and encountered this problem, you can relax, it's finally fixed! The other bug was probably more concealed. *Chased* sometimes appeared and didn't change into *Alive* even if you moved away from the Minotaur to a large distance. Now this issue is gone!
Zoomed out the camera on the Ghost to make it more comfortable. Glandar's ghost also moves at a lower speed to contrast the high speed of the Soul Devourer
The Minotaur wins if all villagers die EVEN IF Glandar's ghost is still alive
Added two new items: Halberd and Chromium Shield
Renamed some items e.g Metal Helmet ---> Aluminium Helmet
Changed the icons of some items
The Minotaur now gains +5 damage for every villager around him. The first bonus damage of +5 is obtained for two villagers, not with one. 3 villagers = +10 damage and so on
Priest and Necromancer do not require any quest to side with you. They just join you if you come within their range
Fixed all the erroneous tooltips like "Scream" which showed a cooldown of 1 second whilst in reality it's 15
When you pick Despair, all villagers have your position pinged on their minimap and the picker of Despair has the position of the Cultist pinged. This is to let the task of escaping from the maze more probable than killing the Minotaur on Normal Mode
Even smarter AI for both villagers and Minotaur
Other little changes I may have forgotten

Auto-attack disabled! I said that I had removed auto-attack in a recent version but apparently I hadn't
Beginners mode implemented. Now first-time players can try this and novices can practice with this mode
Insane mode has been made even more insane because it was too close to difficulty to normal mode
The bug where the multiboard didn't display to host has been fixed
All abilities can be cast instantaneously, meaning that you can use "Scream" while walking
The secret chamber finally bears a secret! If you find the bloody key, run like hell to open the gate!
Cultist's position pings every 20 seconds to all villagers with a Despair rune
Some other stuff changed/added

Camera modes implemented. This means you can change from first person view to zoomed normal camera view by pressing Esc to facilitate movement in groups
Torch can be moved from the left hand to the right hand and vice versa. This will allow you to carry a torch and a weapon/shield at the same time
Nightmare mode added for real hardcore players
Two new items added: Haste Boots and Speed Gloves
Some items now reduce movement or attack speed

Credits:

Special Thanks:
  • WendigoWars
  • Mf-Shroom

Models:
  • Tarrasque
  • -Grendel
  • SuPa-
  • KayS
  • perfjert
  • sunwarrior25
  • Callahan
  • Hellish Hybrid
  • Sephiroth_VII
  • Sunchips
  • Matarael
  • Tr!KzZ
  • Lord_T
  • Thrikodius
  • Chenralstrasz
  • ikillforeyou
  • Ami
  • Chen
  • HappyTauren
  • General Frank
  • Ket
  • Mythic
  • Astaroth Zion

Icons:
  • KelThuzad]
  • Chen]
  • HappyTauren
  • Paladon
  • NFWar

Skins:
  • halo
  • L_Lawliet
  • xxxxxxxxxx

Loading Screen/Map Preview Image:
  • WendigoWars

Other:
  • WendigoWars
    Some of the resources used in the map have been imported by WendigoWars and I'm unable to find the authors of such resources. An example is the custom music.

Author's notes:

WendigoWars is the original author. He created the layout of the maze and a few of the basic triggers. Besides, this map is all his idea, not mine. Basically, he gave me the foundations and I built on them this awesome map! Permission to upload this map myself has been given here
Before trying the map with the AI or in multiplayer, try it out yourself alone in single player to know how scary this game is. After doing so, I strongly encourage you to test the map in multiplayer and report any lag/bugs you encounter
The map will undergo various updates to implement the multiple missing elements like the purpose of the secret chamber
As I've always been an honest reviewer with your maps, I wish you to be the same when judging my map. Point out all the negative issues you found in it, I'll accept them as long as you provide constructive criticism to improve my map. Don't forget to report bugs/errors/glitches so that I can fix them as soon as possible! Thank you and have fun terror!

Map Description Template Created by -Kobas-
Find more here: Map Description - Templates

Keywords:
Minotaur, Labyrinth, Maze, Horror, Terror, Fear, Frightening, Scary, Dark, Obscure, Gloomy, Nightmare, Creepy, Greek, Mythology, Villager, Legend
Contents

Minotaur's Labyrinth v1.6 (Map)

Reviews
21:00, 5th Aug 2015 Orcnet: The Gameplay is really fun, with its play value having more than just 1 game option, I can actually try a few of the levels such from Normal to Hard which gives more heavy atmosphere for those that manages to complete...
Level 19
the villager needs to have an in game interface like a heroes thumb pic

it's an easy fix

in fact give me your game and I'll add all these fixes

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

The game is awesome! I was looking for such survival game for long time,but now i have finally found it! :D Great Job Mr. Shadow!!!!

Deleted member 247165

D

Deleted member 247165

But these things are intentional! I don't want you to get orientated easily, nor do I want to give you an easy vision of the surroundings.

He doesn't understand what a "Survival game" it is,does he? No....don't change the game! In my point of view it is really balanced...I played many survival mods in Warcraft 3,but this one gets No 1 ;) :)

The game mechanics seems pretty....easy.

I mean, I picked Insane, spawned on some location, picked some key, Minotaur spawns, I walk again, I saw the minotaur, I let him walk on the spines for a couple of seconds, win.

The game did not have any impact on me since the game only lasted for like 3 minutes when the minotaur died on the spines. The game mode seems that it doesn't affect the Minotaur's life.

I give this a 3/5 rating because the scenery is good, tho the game is so easy to finish.

Level 21
Strange... people usually complain that the game is too hard. Did you play one time only? You know, every match differs from the other and it all depends on how lucky you are.

when the minotaur died on the spines.

This is impossible. Traps (such as the spines) do not damage the minotaur.

The game mode seems that it doesn't affect the Minotaur's life.

This clearly shows that you either played very few times or the same mode over and over. Actually, the minotaur's HP varies with the mode and the number of players. Did you play with the AI? If yes, how many? My map is not to be played less than 7 times. You will notice the difference.

Your review contains false information so please I urge you to retake a look at my map and re-review it.

What happens before I won the game is that I picked up some "blood key"(sorry, forgot the name), that was before the minotaur spawned. I tested some spells (I think that's what you call the Adrenaline Rush) then ran. I, then, encountered a room full of corpse doodads and a spine, which dealt damage to me whenever I pass through it. Because it is a threat to me, I went back(because there is no other path) and then I saw the minotaur charging at me. I was hopeless because my health is low and I have no way to run, so I walk through spines and then the minotaur followed me there, which where I became stuck and the minotaur just kept standing on the spines, then BAM, Victory. Don't know what happened and how did that happened, and it was pretty lame to finish it without even having a chance to explore almost 5% of the map

Level 21
This is why you should try it again. Trust me, you'll notice a big difference. By the way, there could've been a spike trap in front of the room that kept damaging you. Also the minotaur could've died from the AI. It all depends on how you played game and on which mode (can't be insane if you found the key).

This is why you should try it again. Trust me, you'll notice a big difference. By the way, there could've been a spike trap in front of the room that kept damaging you. Also the minotaur could've died from the AI. It all depends on how you played game and on which mode (can't be insane if you found the key).

that's it. Spikes.

oh and btw, It is in Insane Mode because I was playing on Single Player(because you know, Singleplayer = Cheats = Bigger balls)

Level 12
Just tried this map and am super impressed! It's really creepy and reminds me of The Screecher expansion to Don't Starve. I'll have to find some people to play it with me. Where'd you get that horrifying minotaur model?

Level 3
I played it and I really enjoyed it. But I have to admit... it's really creepy. I got scared a few times, especially because of the soundtrack, a bit spooky and full of sudden noises. I played the map 3 times until now, the minotaur got me 2 times and I finally managed to escape when I picked up the orange gliph that showed me the way out.
Everything depends on luck, you may find the hatchet (+20 damage), some boots, a shield (+7 armour) and some life potions and you can easiy kill the minotaur (I took him to about 35-40% of it's full HP). But you may also find a priest that can heal you, and 2-3 minions that can be easily killed and transformed in helpful ghosts.
Thanks for the map! And keep up the good work!

(5/5 + Rep!)

PS: I think the map will look insane if you can find a loading screen with some kind of minotaur and also a maze on the background. The black loading screen with just some text on it is not enough (in my opinion).

Level 12
Quite simply, this map is too hard. Even on Beginner, I can't get much farther than finding a couple of pieces of gear before the Minotaur comes and devours me alive. I've tried it multiplayer and it's still impossible, and when we put in a couple of computer players to help us, the other villagers just beat the game for us.

I admire the map itself, though. The environment was really disturbing, and where on God's green web did you find that horrifying minotaur model?! And the jump I get when that music hits is rather jarring in a fun way as well... reminds me of the Screecher on Don't Starve. If this were its own independent game and not Warcraft 3 (The moving with the mouse screwed me over sometimes when I would click on the minotaur instead of on the ground in front of me), I think this would be a gem.

Level 21
Quite simply, this map is too hard. Even on Beginner, I can't get much farther than finding a couple of pieces of gear before the Minotaur comes and devours me alive. I've tried it multiplayer and it's still impossible, and when we put in a couple of computer players to help us, the other villagers just beat the game for us.

You gotta practice pretty much before being good enough. You have to master the commands and manage to outrun the Minotaur while also attempting to find others as soon as possible. I also played the game in multiplayer several times and I have a good chance of winning. We players usually decided a place to meet (top right corner, for example) and we'd all go there. This increases your chances of surviving because the Minotaur will only chase one of the group while also giving you a hope to beat that monster if you are all well-equipped!

I admire the map itself, though. The environment was really disturbing, and where on God's green web did you find that horrifying minotaur model?! And the jump I get when that music hits is rather jarring in a fun way as well... reminds me of the Screecher on Don't Starve. If this were its own independent game and not Warcraft 3 (The moving with the mouse screwed me over sometimes when I would click on the minotaur instead of on the ground in front of me), I think this would be a gem.

I am happy you admire it :)
Here's the Minotaur's model.
Just keep practicing until you use the commands like a pro. I met a few people who were even better than me in my own game! We would win "Insane" so easily they asked me to make it harder :p

Level 12
It's a maze, though. How are you supposed to "meet up" somewhere? One of the most intricate mazes ever, I might add, and the rotating camera makes it very difficult to know where you're going. It seems like I end up just wandering around and then somehow the minotaur always shows up right where I am, despite the maze's immensity.

Level 21
It's a maze, though. How are you supposed to "meet up" somewhere? One of the most intricate mazes ever, I might add, and the rotating camera makes it very difficult to know where you're going. It seems like I end up just wandering around and then somehow the minotaur always shows up right where I am, despite the maze's immensity.

It's hard to meet up, you're right, but it's possible. Keep using Scream and try.

Level 21
Hey guys, I haven't updated the map for a while! I'm planning to update Minotaur's Labyrinth to version 1.6 where I'm going to fix some little awkward bugs and.... modify camera view since I've had plenty of complaints about it. You will be able to switch between the first person mode (which many appear to hate) and normal camera view but a little bit zoomed. You'll still need to switch to the first person view to pass below archways.
Many complained about the darkess as well. I don't want to make the atmosphere brighter so I came up with another idea. The torch will be able to be moved from left hand to right hand and vice versa to allow you to pick a weapon/shield and a torch together. I'm also sure the new camera view will facilitate vision even in darkness. Below are two pictures to illustrate how it is like to play with the new camera.
Last but not least, I've noticed the AI is too good at outrunning the Minotaur when it has orb of light and bronze boots. Some pro players I've played with also manage to do that so from now on, armors and chromium shield will slightly decrease movement speed as follows:
-10 MS Chromium Shield
-20 MS Wooden Armor
-30 MS Metallic Armor
Bronze boots (+40 MS), on the other hand, will appear more often so as to ensure you don't get heavily slowed down. I'm also considering adding a second type of boots which provide greater movement speed (like +60 MS) or that can be actively used to boost speed incredibly for a short time. Naturally, they shall appear less frequently than Bronze Boots.
Let me know what you think! If you have further suggestions, I'm all ears. My thoughts are adding more NPC units and items but I feel quite unsure about this. Any cool ideas?

Attachments

• Update Picture 1.png
    Update Picture 1.png
    847.8 KB · Views: 61
  • Update Picture 2.png
    Update Picture 2.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 70