• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Microsoft is watching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Microsoft-support.jpg

Does Microsoft monitor each individual computer with windows OS that has an internet connection to make sure the software is working correctly?

I highly doubt its true but I cant stop my mom from talking about it being true and how their support center in India specifically contacted her about her computer problems (her computer is a complete wreck, I don't have the knowledge or experience to save it because the amount of errors is so high I cant even install a antivirus program on it nor remove the old one(s)). The guy in the "support" wanted her to send/pay money with Western Union for new software because the old one was so infected with virus and stuff (simply starting that damn thing shows that it is infected, you don't need to scan it to know it is)

I could talk about her computer and her idiotic way of handling it all day but I just want to have a straight answer to the question.
(Taking advice from a complete stranger? No problem. Taking advice from your son with some basic knowledge on how to use a computer? HELL NO :ogre_icwydt:)

P.S. She didn't pay anything, mostly because she thought it was to expensive (January in very dull time of the year for shopkeepers)

P.S.S. She bought it in 2006 and it got Windows XP, might be worth mentioning. :p

Level 11
Thanks guys, I knew it was a scam but I couldn't do a sh*t to stop her from arguing against me on how wrong I was. "-This guy in the phone is an educated IT person and knows a lot more than you do when it comes to computers."

After showing that article to her she completely changed her mindset on things, so I'm hoping this experience will help me in the future for taking care of her computer problems.

And about the computer, the win xp cd is nowhere to be found and I doubt the hardware can perform good with W7 so I'm thinking about scrapping it instead and save me the trouble. We have a notebook that can replace it anyway.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Seeing how I managed to get Ubuntu into an unrecoverable state within 30 minutes of installing it, I would not advise it for anyone below someone extreemly skilled with IT.

If you want to use linux, I advise Debian as it is a lot easier to set up an harder to get into a unrecoverable state (it is much more easy going with its account security).

Level 8
Well, it's also hard for them to install anything if you enable UAC like a good boy (I personally have UAC enabled on a decent level and run as normal user on my laptop, but some people will find having to enter an admin password too annoying; even just clicking a yes/no can be problematic).
(I now want to whine about people not using NoScript since it's a bit annoying for them to enable scrips, despite the huge security advantages and usually blocking ads) (parentheses)

I think there are also special (but limited) editions of Win7 created for low-powered systems, might want to check that out. Otherwise, just reinstalling XP shouldn't be that bad, my dad still uses it lol.

Level 11
The safest would be Windows 7. Create a non-administrator account for your parents to use, that way it's almost impossible for them to break anything.

It would be the best alternative since my mom tried to delete the 'command prompt' because she thought it looked suspicious... but I don't think that computer got the hardware to function well with W7.

I think there are also special (but limited) editions of Win7 created for low-powered systems, might want to check that out. Otherwise, just reinstalling XP shouldn't be that bad, my dad still uses it lol.

Do you mean Windows 7 Starter? I have no idea how to get it legally nor any experience with it but it might be a valid solution to this. :)

Last edited:
Level 8
Who said you have to get it legally? Fcuk the polees!1
And yes that would be it. I don't know much about it, though.

Ubuntu actually has a netbook version or something; I personally didn't get it unrecoverable until quite a bit later but yes it's significantly more unreliable than windows, sad but true.
Linux is still awesome though if you know the magic of the wonderful commandline.

Level 11
Did some more research on the web and I couldn't find any copies on Win 7 Starter, guess I will have to go the PB way but I really don't mind.
I will probably go with Win 7 Starter or Win XP.

Anyway, thanks for your replies and tips guys. :smile:

Level 13
I would not use XP anymore, as it is soon obsolete. Windows 8 should use a limited amount of memory from what i've heard, but is very different from XP compared to windows 7 (Just imo, I know some people will disagree, but for a parent its a big change). And yes, give her a normal (non admin) user if she is so "retarded" with computers :) I do the same with my parents ;)

I got scam callers for a while.
Oh the times of entertainment over the phone I have had.

edit: I would recommend installing something as new as Windows 8 for a parent. It's to different from the original versions of Windows before it. Although I do enjoy it myself.
Yeh considering when you bought it. A simple re-installation of any Windows version from xp to 7 would be fine(I wouldn't recommend vista though). Maybe download windows security essentials, it's free if you got your windows version legally or just choose the right security software.

Level 11
I prefer Avast too, I've heard good things about Bitdefender and F-Secure so I'll probably try them out in the future. I used Norton for a while but back then it took so much resources when it scanned the computer. I switched to AVG and it worked well but I lost faith in it completely after a while. I think there is a thread around here somewhere related to that actually.

Ohh and I might add the she installed Panda Security because she got a recommendation from one of her friend's son who said it was the best anti virus on the market. Now apparently he worked on the company who are developing it which kinda makes it obvious why he would say that.

And whatever OS I will install it will have a non administrator account for her, so don't worry about that guys. :wink:

Level 13
Seriously. The people saying XP is fine, should have a highfive... With a bat.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle
Go the the end of support section. It stopped back in 2009, which means XP is so exploitable at this time. Even if you pay money for the extended support, you are sure to have an insecure OS.

I would recommend Avast!, as that is what I am using. AVG is probably as good as avast!, so if you are more familiar with that, you can use that.

Never heard of the Panda Security, so can't help you there. All I know is, bullguard used to be a piece of shit. Although, I they might have improved it, I would stay away from it.

Level 34
Insecure? What exactly do you mean by that? I assume you mean secure from outside attacks or virus'. Microsoft has never been secure, which is why there is such a huge market for protection.

Using XP is fine.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Seriously. The people saying XP is fine, should have a highfive... With a bat.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/lifecycle
Go the the end of support section. It stopped back in 2009, which means XP is so exploitable at this time. Even if you pay money for the extended support, you are sure to have an insecure OS.

I would recommend Avast!, as that is what I am using. AVG is probably as good as avast!, so if you are more familiar with that, you can use that.

Never heard of the Panda Security, so can't help you there. All I know is, bullguard used to be a piece of shit. Although, I they might have improved it, I would stay away from it.

You're wrong. It says "April 8, 2014" for the end of support for Windows XP SP 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.