• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Metamorphosis item ability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello. I'm trying to make a map where the hero is able to swap between different gun items by giving each item metamorphosis. I want to make it so his base unit is melee and switching to a gun makes him ranged. This works fine and all, but, if I want him to swap between a pistol and a shotgun item, for some reason he is unable to revert to his melee form and will just keep changing between his pistol form and his shotgun form when I try to deactivate them. I know I could just trigger the whole damn thing but I would prefer to do it without any.

On a related note, what does "Data - Normal Form Unit" do exactly? It sounds self-explanatory but I feel like I'm missing something here. Any help is appreciated greatly!

Level 6
Attaching abilities like Metamorphosis and Bear Form to items can be pretty wonky, probably coming from "Normal Form Unit" not matching up correctly. Normal form unit refers to the base unit before the transformation ability was cast. When you cast a metamorphosis multiple times on a metamorphosed unit, you create a chain where the "Normal Form Unit" (that was the melee form) has been cut out, so any future transformations won't work.

I'm afraid I don't know how to fix your issue without the use of triggers. On the bright side, the triggers are fairly simple. You can accomplish what you're trying to do with something as simple as this:

• Equip
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Uses an item
    • Conditions
      • (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)) Equal to <SHOTGUN>
    • Actions
      • Unit - Replace (Hero manipulating item) with a <SHOTGUN_UNIT> using The old unit's relative life and mana

Level 5
Hello. I'm trying to make a map where the hero is able to swap between different gun items by giving each item metamorphosis. I want to make it so his base unit is melee and switching to a gun makes him ranged. This works fine and all, but, if I want him to swap between a pistol and a shotgun item, for some reason he is unable to revert to his melee form and will just keep changing between his pistol form and his shotgun form when I try to deactivate them. I know I could just trigger the whole damn thing but I would prefer to do it without any.

On a related note, what does "Data - Normal Form Unit" do exactly? It sounds self-explanatory but I feel like I'm missing something here. Any help is appreciated greatly!

I once too was a "Please no triggers" person, but trust me it's very easy to use (GUI atleast) and you should get into it, when people help you you can get a lot of insight from it and start to make things on your own :thumbs_up:

Level 1
I've been familiar with the WE for quite some time now, and I know how to trigger it effectively. I was just wondering if there was something I didn't know about giving metamorphosis to an item. Anyways, it's good to have it settled. Marine explained what was happening pretty well. Thanks guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.