• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Meaning of colors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I was checking these three sites and, as you can see, they all offer different meanings.
None of them actually reference literature.

I keep hearing white signifies purity, purple is pain and death, black is death, red is passion... that's what I hear at school.

Does anyone have an opinion on this? If you can back it up, that'd be great.

Black represents death obviously because it's dark, similarly to how people view death, something dark and morbid. (M0rbid reference <3)

Red only represents passion because it's fiery. Fiery is an adjective that you could associate with passion.

Blue represents serenity because our Oceans are blue and we often find it calming to hear the sounds of the waves crashing on the shore. Just looking at blue could probably calm you down.

Green represents health. (I don't have a way to back this up, but I read somewhere that some hospitals use green wallpaper because just looking at the color green may cause you to relax, feel less pain and more importantly, heal.)

White represents purity because of it's perfection and brightness.

When I read the title, I thought this was going to be a fun philosophical thread about the true meaning of color :p
I thought this out once, long and hard.
I realized in the end that color is just a creation of our own minds.

Level 17

not really color is not like good or bad, or believing in god it does exist in reality just like matter and energy exist.

certain colors make you feel differently and can have a psychological and even physical effect on a person. Green is believed to soothe the eyes for example :goblin_good_job:

Level 19
4202952_700b_v1.jpg

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
So... what kind of debate or epiphany are you looking to prompt here?
I thought this out once, long and hard.
Narf manifesto!

Not to put a blemish on that cheap metal badge you got for insightful opinions, but if you tried to deduce something for us here it was a pretty stupid move to shoot us in the neck with the most kinderspiel piece of reasoning history has ever seen.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Well, I was looking to clarify what orange, for example, really means. E.g. MortAr's post says Orange means excitement, enthusiasm, warmth and caution. In one of the sites I pointed to it says orange is related to motivation and balance between love and extreme lust and that it's a color that makes you hungry(?).
Referencing claims would be good too, something which none of those websites do. What I mean is: Orange has meanings X, Y and Z. Meaning X comes from culture A, meaning B comes from the Bible, meaning C comes from some popular book or hymn or something. That's what I meant to sprout here.

At school I usually hear that yellow is the color of famine, for example, I hate it when people say it relates to that.

I recently had an essay on kids and advertisements. We stumbled on colors as well, given that it is an advertising trick to attract kids. On a research, conducted by a Psychology professor in the University of California, it showed that certain colors affect psychology.
For example, green has to do with calmness and relaxation, black has to do with generally bad mood, red has to do with aggression, etc.

The same research showed the results of a test: When children were given certain pictures that depicted happy scenes, they were then told to shape something in the color of their choice; when they were given happy scenes, the children were always choosing intense colors, such as blue, yellow or green. When they were shown sad scenes, they were coloring in brown, dark blue or grey.

Colors are just colors, they are reflections and products of light. They have a psychological impact on us, because we learned to identify colors and link them with certain meanings or situations. Yellow being bad luck for example is nothing but a superstition. Red being the color of passion is again a bond, created by social influence. Pink being particularly a girls' color is again socially structured. The world wasn't created with pink being a girls' color nor blue being the boys' one. It's how people interpret them, creating a vicious circle of knowledge, inherited to the societies. It's part of the social interaction and communication. Pink for example is no longer a taboo, to be worn as a t-shirt by boys, because certain fashion icons or fashion designers have included pink in their males' wear collections.
The further we go, the less taboo we will have, even in such a small matter, of what color to pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.