• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece!🔗 Click here to enter!

Making models throw weapon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I'm trying to create ranged units which throw their weapon such as the wyvern rider, berserker, gryphon rider, etc.. In other words I want to know how to make the weapon that I attatch disappear part war through their attack animation like the above stated

Level 23
There are two approaches. Either way you need to pick a specific frame of your animation to be the point at which you want the weapon to disappear.

1) scale - would need a separate bone for the weapon. In the animation you then set the bone's scale to 0 at the frame you want (choose controller type "none" for instant transition, if you choose "linear" the weapon would become smaller gradually).
I use Magos for editing bones and Matrix eater for attaching parts of the model to them.

2) visibility - have the weapon be on a separate geoset, and change the geoset's visibility to 0 at the frame you want.
I use MdlVis for moving parts of a model to separate geosets, and Magos for editing the geoset animations.

Last edited:
Level 4
There are two approaches. Either way you need to pick a specific frame of your animation to be the point at which you want the weapon to disappear.

1) scale - would need a separate bone for the weapon. In the animation you then set the bone's scale to 0 at the frame you want (choose controller type "none" for instant transition, if you choose "linear" the weapon would become smaller gradually).
I use Magos for editing bones and Matrix eater for attaching parts of the model to them.

2) visibility - have the weapon be on a separate geoset, and change the geoset's visibility to 0 at the frame you want.
I use MdlVis for moving parts of a model to separate geosets, and Magos for editing the geoset animations.
Yeah the weapon is a seperate geoset, I have figured out how to make it invisable for the animation, but i want it to be invisible for only part of the animation like the examples, if I unclick visability on mldvs it makes the weapon invisable for the whole animation and it looks like the weapon disapears not be thrown

Level 23
Do you have Magos model editor? It allows to edit visibility as text with clear exact coordinates.
All you would need is a 0 after the frame you picked.
Example, attack animation at frames 1000-2000. Set the geoset animation to

1500: 0

Then the weapon will disappear midway through the animation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.